Water when to give it ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Carebear32, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Carebear32

Carebear32 Registered Users

Hi all.

Just wondering on the last meal of the day. Do you also give a drink of water. Izzy is 8 weeks old and she is fed at 8am 1pm 5pm and 11pm. I have water out all day but she seems to take her last drink around 8/9. Then I haven't been refilling her bowl. So just wondering should I give her water with her good at 11. She goes for a wee around 12 and then at 4am and then at 8am.

Thanks.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Water when to give it ?

I always took water away during the latter half of the evening, although food always mixed with water (and still is....old habits die hard)
    Lilly has never been a big drinker though.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi Clare,
    I used to take her water up around 10pm each day.
    Just a suggestion, but could you change her mealtimes a bit as 11pm is a bit late and will probably not help with toilet training/sleeping overnight. I used to feed at 7am, 11am, 3pm then 7pm. Harley was sleeping for 6 hours plus by the time she was 10 weeks old :)

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have always had water available for my dogs. Tatze has had water down all the time from being a new puppy.

Except at night, when they're in their crate.

I found I needed a ceramic dish as she picked up the metal ones and threw them around!

:)

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I always picked up the water bowl from 9pm, I don't know if this helped her housetraining as we had issues with urine infections for a long time. But I know a lot of people recommend it and it seems like a good idea as pups have such tiny bladders.

Now she's fine we leave it down all the time, but she really doesn't tend to drink that much during the evening anyway.

6. Carebear32

Carebear32 Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=5516.msg69799#msg69799 date=1398065259]
    Hi Clare,
    I used to take her water up around 10pm each day.
    Just a suggestion, but could you change her mealtimes a bit as 11pm is a bit late and will probably not help with toilet training/sleeping overnight. I used to feed at 7am, 11am, 3pm then 7pm. Harley was sleeping for 6 hours plus by the time she was 10 weeks old :)
    [/quote]

Hi naya

Would it be okay just to switch her feeding times round or do I do it gradually ? How many hours should be between her feeds?

Thank you

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would change it over a few days, bringing the times closer each meal to where you eventually want :) good luck ;)