We have a man down

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Oberon, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: We have a man down

We went to the vet this morning to get Obi's bite checked out as it was a little lumpy feeling and he also has developed a lump on his neck. But the vet said all is fine - the bite lumps are just a bit of scar tissue and fluid (which will dissapate) and the neck lump is from his vaccinations on Monday and will go down by itself. So he's been officially pronounced all better (hooray!!) and will be going back to daycare on Monday.

After the vet's we went on a nice walk that involved running, swimming, retrieving and meeting plenty of other doggies. Result: one tired boy :)

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats wonderful news Rachael, so happy for both of you ;D

( and yes, it is some silly time in the morning, seagulls woke me up ::) )

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah so pleased he's all better.Let us know how you get on Monday x

4. Oberon

Thanks, guys :)

(and curse those seagulls!!)

5. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's such good news. ;) It really looked like a nasty injury, glad to hear it healed so well. :D

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

so pleased obi is feeling better, poor love :)

7. Oberon

Obi went to daycare today. When we arrived this morning he was very pleased to see the lady who runs it (she came out to meet us in the car park). He charged off with her without a backward glance at me :) If his level of snooziness this evening is any indication he must have had a fun day. So, all is good. :)

8. lynnelogan

thank goodness hes feeling better and a very happy boy :)

9. Dexter

Ah I'm glad he went in happy and by the sounds of it had a great day with his pals.Bet you are relieved too,I'm sure the daycare staff will always be giving that extra bit of tlc now......x

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Glad to hear it went well. Must have been a bit nerve wracking for you to leave him there again!

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats just lovely Rachael, so pleased :)

12. Oberon

Thanks, everyone :) We certainly went through a bit of angst, deciding whether or not to go back, but decided in the end that the benefits (happy, entertained doggie who doesn't wake us up at 2am for a game) outweighed the risks and that the risks were no greater than they were at all the other off-lead places we take him. So we are feeling pretty relaxed about it now :) Today his Border Collie friend, Charlie, is there so that will be extra-exciting.

13. Oberon

Thought I would post an update :) Obi has been going to daycare for three days a week and loving it.

However, the bite site has required a bit of ongoing management. About a month ago the fur started to fall out around the bite and so we went back to the vet and a skin infection was diagnosed. Some antibacterial, antifungal cream fixed that up and the fur started to grow back. Was all looking great. Then, yesterday, we saw that the area under the bite wound had started to swell up a lot. Back to the vet, who said it was most likely just a fluid build up (not an infection as it was not sore). One option was to shave the site (again) and sterilise and drain it, and the other option was to wait to see if the fluid got re-absorbed. We decided to watch and wait and Obi had a penicillin jab in the hindquarters for good measure. This morning Obi scratched at the site and it ruptured, leaking red fluid all down his side (which he licked up, naturally). It didn't smell and wasn't infected looking. Back to the vet again this morning who shaved the area and cleaned it up for a good look (Obi ate some of his own shaved-off, bloodied fur - nice). It didn't need stitching as there was just a small hole at the bottom end of the bite scar. Seems like it was just cell fluid, as originally thought, with no infection. The fact that it has now drained is probably a good thing. We have to clean it twice a day with alcohol wipes and he is on a week of antibiotics to prevent infection. He'll have to miss day care this week too (or he'll just get dirt in it). Sigh. When the bite happened the vet warned us that dog bites can turn into a bit of an ongoing saga. Hope this is the last episode :)

14. Dexter

Oh Rachael,I feel bad for not asking if there had ever been any further problems....he just seemed to go back to daycare so happily and not be mentally troubled by it.Im sorry its been niggling away,he'll miss his daycare sessions too and I bet it gives you a different week too planning care around work....not to mention a bouncy boy in the evening!I too hope this is the end of it :)

15. Oberon

Thanks, Angela - please don't feel bad about not asking! :) The good thing is that it doesn't seem to have affected his behaviour with other dogs at all. He is just fine, behaviour-wise.

The bite site doesn't seem to be bothering him at all either. It just looks a bit gruesome and it will again restrict what he can do for a week or so... No playing with other dogs and no swimming. We just wish that it was all over with.

We are going to dinner at a friend's place tonight (the friend is a chef) and Obi is invited too, so I'm sure his slight invalid status will earn him a few extra treats :) There's gotta be a silver lining somewhere :)

16. Dexter

Oh my goodness,you've got a great group of friends......amongst them those who are good enough to make you believe that they may possibly buy you a Labrador and a chef!wow!Enjoy your meal,and your treats too Obi x

17. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Poor Obi, and what a worry it must have been for you. Hope he is now over the worst and the wound heals well. Pippa

18. David

David Registered Users

Poor chap. Fingers crossed this end. Dogs can be very resilient so I expect he's put it all behind him.

19. lynnelogan

poor obi, i feel for you all, its so sad :(

20. debsie

debsie Registered Users

poor wee Obi. hope it clears up soon for him....