We have a man down

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Oberon, Jun 14, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: We have a man down

Dear soldier, hope is heals up real soon Rachael :(

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Poor Obi - hugs from us. (Charlie sends a lick, but asks if Obi can send him a food parcel in return...)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks so much, everyone. You are all so kind :)

Obi had a good time at dinner and got lots of pats and a few little tasty snippets :) He was a very good boy.

We and Obi are also invited to a pizza brunch tomorrow (a different friend testing out his home-made pizza oven). We are lucky to have a few friends who always include Obi in an invitation, which is lovely.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Obi, wishing him a speedy recovery, but I bet the sympathy treats are gratefully received ;D Helen xx

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor boy.
    I think we probably just all assumed it was all healed up by now.
    Lilly says if he is around later she will give him some tips on how to get the best treats off the humums and hudads.
    I'm suspecting that he may not need help ;D ;D
    Get better soon Obi :)
    xx

6. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Iv only just seen and read this whole thread and I am so sorry for what happened to lovely Obi and hope it all clears up and he is back to normal soon. :) x

7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Glad things are sorting out...makes you wonder how wolves and such cope with healing after fights! I suppose the answer is, they don't....

Give Obi a cuddle from me, too!!!

8. Oberon

Obi says that any of Lilly's tips would be welcome as there's always something new to learn about scamming treats from humans ;)

Lisa, I think that's exactly right - survival after a bite wound would be an uncertain thing indeed for a wolf or wild dog. Dogs and humans have a lot to thank modern medicine for....

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

hope obi is feeling better today :)

10. Oberon

Thanks, Lynne :) It all seems to be healing up fine. We might even send him to day care today (Mondays are always a bit quieter there anyway as most dogs come towards the end of the week).

11. lynnelogan

awh they are a big worry, it may do him good to get back into the swing of it,.....awh poor love he melts my heart does obi, :)what ever you decide i am sure it will be the right decision :) let us know how he gets on :)

12. Oberon

Everything went fine yesterday and so he is going back to day care today. I don't think that the bite spot is swelling up again but it's a bit hard to tell as there is some lumpy scar tissue involved as well. We'll just keep monitoring it. Thanks for your well wishes :)

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just caught up with this - really sorry to hear Obi's bite has caused such an ongoing saga. Do hope the wound heals up properly now. :(

14. Oberon

Thanks, Karen :) It started to leak again at day care yesterday so that's not great... It's closed up again this morning but it still a bit puffier than it should be. I see another vet visit in my future....

15. lynnelogan

oh wish obi would dig is way to here , i would love to look after him, no day care play mate for jasper.....awh bless poor obi x :(

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Simba's incision from his neuter swelled up and leaked a bit right at the end of that whole trial...I got down on my knees and PRAYED that he wouldn't have to have any more surgery (I.e. more CONE time) and lo and behold it was back to a regular, mainly healed wound the next day.

I think the level of desperation I felt didn't hurt, but I'll send a wee prayer up for Obi, shall I?? ;)

17. Oberon

All prayers and incantations welcome! ;D

I've been doing a bit of googling about this (yes, I know, I shouldn't) and it seems that this fluid stuff is called a Seroma (an accumulation of blood serum behind a wound site). There is nothing particularly alarming in what I have read about it. A few places mentioned that a lot of activity can aggravate it and that these things are more likely where there is a lot of movement of the skin over the muscle (which describes this location). Maybe we should try to keep him quiet for a bit.... The vet said that it could be a reaction to the internal dissolving stitches and another thing I read was that dissolving stitches can take a couple of months to break down (I had initially wondered why it'd take so long to react to something that has been there for 2 months).

Anyway, we will watch and wait and if it is looking worse by the end of the week we'll go back to the vet.

At the end of September we are taking him to visit his original family in Sydney and I really don't want him to still have shaved areas at that point ::) I haven't told them about the bite (because I didn't want them to worry or think he wasn't being looked after). Hopefully this thing clears up and his fur grows back super fast to hide the evidence!!!!

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

If they think he's not being looked after right....just send them our way 8)
    We'll put them right.
    I will add my incantations to the mix too - get well mate!

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Obi, I hope he is back to is extremely handsome self with a full fur coat for his very important visit :D Helen x

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I know it's soppy, but I feel I know the dogs owned by people on this forum!

It might not be SO ridiculous - after all, we talk (a lot) about our dogs, and listen carefully about other people's dogs. I have a mental picture of a lot of the dogs on here now (which might be barking, and way off beam, but I still have them).

And I'm worried about Obi! Lovely, sensible, gentle, energetic, chip loving, Obi!