Weeing very frequently

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by iscal, Jan 26, 2015.

1. iscal

iscal Registered Users

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this but am hoping for some help!! We have had our golden lab for just over 2 weeks, she is 10 weeks old tomorrow. All in all she is perfect, already sitting and most of the time coming back on recall. My problem is that she wee's all the time. I was prepared to be taking her out every 20 - 30 min to get her potty trained but as time is going on (the last week especially) she goes out, wee's, then within 10 minutes and without warning she wee's on the floor. Sometimes she does sniff so I whisk her up and take her out but it still is within such a small time frame. I know she can hold her bladder as sleeps from 10pm till 6.30 am and also whilst she is sleeping in the day for an hour or so. The vet has treated her for cystitis incase that was the problem but has made no difference.
    I am not able to get anything done at all when she is awake. The problem seems to be worse in the afternoon/evening although today she has been non stop!
    When she does wee in the house I haven't been telling her off, just scooping her up to finish off outside then lots of praise and treat.
    Please please can someone offer me some advise!!!!

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Weeing very frequently

Hello and welcome from me and my two dogs . You seem to be doing all the right things, but such frequent weeing is unusual , even in a young puppy , they usually go for 30 mins or so between wees . I think I would try to grab a sample, place an old dish under her to catch it, and pop her back to the Vets as she could have a urinary tract infection which needs treating with antibiotics , on the other hand she might just need to go more frequently, but I would still have her checked to be on the safe side, good luck :)

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,welcome to the forum from me and my 2 year old yellow boy Dexter.i didn't have the very young puppy/toilet training stage and Dex is our first dog ......
    You are right not to tell her off,she isn't doing it on purpose ,she is only little but from all the other discussions I've read from other puppy owners she does sound to be going more frequently....you say the vet treated her for cystitis .....does that mean the vet has tested a urine sample?that is something I would definately be asking for to see if it can offer any explanations.
    Best wishes
    Angela

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello,and welcome from 16 month old Molly and me.

I had exactly the same experience when Molly was about 10 weeks old. On the advice of forum members I whipped her down to the Vet's. A short course of anti biotics soon put her right. It is so common.

5. iscal

iscal Registered Users

Thank you for replying so quickly.
    The vet didn't have a wee sample but prescribed her a 5 day course of anti biotics to clear up any infection if there was one. We have finished the course yesterday.
    The weeing is no better which makes me feel it is a behaviour thing. I am not wanting to do anything to make it worse so was hoping it has been common and others have succeeded to stop it.
    I give her sooo much praise when outisde and totally ignore when she does it inside, apart from if she squats I scoop her to take her outside but say nothing to her.
    I just feel it is putting a slight downer on her early weeks as we can't really enjoy her as constantly on wee watch or outside!

6. sussex

sussex Registered Users

definitly get a urine sample tested my lab was 5 months when we got her and was incontinent due to one kidney being damaged and later removed you can not be too carefull with a young pup also clean the area indoors thouroly as they will go back to the same spot again

7. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I second getting a urine sample tested - she might have a stubborn one that needs a longer course or different type of antibiotics to clear it up.

Also what are you cleaning her accidents up with? If it contains ammonia (eg. Bleach) this can mimic the smell of urine and make the pup think it is ok the go to the toilet there. An enzymatic cleaner is recommended - some like Simple Solution, which is fantastic as if you get the carpet spray you only have to spray it one, you don't need to scrub it if you don't want to. I was advised to use biological washing powder but I found that stained my carpet.

My pup was exactly the same as yours - weeing every ten minutes or so and she had a series of urine infections one after the other. It can be frustrating but stick with it and you will get there! It will seem like one day you wake up and it's just 'clicked' over night.

8. iscal

iscal Registered Users

Thank you again so much!
    We are at the vets for her 10 week jabs and chipping tomorrow so will take a sample with me.
    If it was an infection would she be able to hold it for 8 . 5 hours at night? I am obviously thinking along the lines of a human urine infection and know that night time is not a time I can sleep!
    I will let you know if she has an infection tomorrow!

9. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

My Penny could, she was always clean when left or overnight in her crate but when we were here it was every 10-20 minutes. It's not necessarily the fact that they can't hold it (although it may be partly that as she is still very young) but more the fact that the urge can be very sudden and uncomfortable so they just have to go. Penny used to just let it go as she was walking along.

Make sure you get a sample of the first morning urine as that is the best for testing.

10. iscal

iscal Registered Users

Hi all,
    Update - Been to the vet with a sample which was negative. She felt her and all was fine. I have been sent home a little bemused really as the vet didnt say what could be wrong, just for me to keep a diary.
    In the half hour of being at the vets she did a wee just b4 leaving home, arrived 5 min later to then go straight in to the consultation room where after 5 min she did a huge wee on the table, went to go and pay for her micro chip and whilst stood paying she did another huge wee in my arms, then put her in the car to come home and she did another huge wee in my lap.
    I really am besides myself.
    When she does drink she drinks a VERY large amount, constant gulping for at least half a minute if not longer so I know she is weeing because of the amount of water she is taking on.
    Does anyone know if the training treats cause excessive thirst?
    I can't think of what else!
    She goes all night without a drink or a wee, please please someone help!!!

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi isca and welcome to the forum!
    I think some training treats can cause thirst - what are you using?
    Your puppy is still very young, and I guess there may be nothing more than large intake/small bladder/lack of house-traning at this point. The latter just because she is so young. Its reassuring that her sample was okay, but if it isn't improving over the next couple of weeks at all, perhaps take another sample in next visit. Maybe keeping a diary would help to clarify what is going on any whether she is improving.
    Keep at it.

jac

12. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

Hmm. Is she always going to get a drink of water after you feed her the treats? Do you have any other training treats you could try to see if they're making her really thirsty? My girl does always drink after having quite a few treats, but she also drinks after just eating anything. When you feed her, do you mix water into whatever you're feeding her (i.e. soak her kibble)? It's quite frustrating when they just seem to drink a lot because you want them to feel hydrated, but it all has to come out somehow..

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Have you tried getting a house visit from a puppy trainer? When I was losing my mind over house training I had the trainer from puppy school call round, gave us loads of tips and feedback and it was really helpful.

If the vet says all is ok, then it's about the training.

Don't be tempted to restrict her water, that's no good...

14. iscal

iscal Registered Users

I am stopping her training treats today to see if that is making her drink more. I have been using the ones for over 8 weeks old so thought they would be OK. She does have a lot though as I am training her with them (every time I recall her I give her a treat, sit etc) I also give them when she does a wee outside, can you give too much?
    I have cooked some chicken this morning so will use small pieces for her treat and someone suggested little cubes of cheese. I am hoping this will make a difference......
    I thought yesterday maybe it was diabetes but then that doesn't tally with her not having much to drink in the morning.
    Fingers crossed! I need it all sorted before 2 weeks as my husband and I are having our first 2 night away without the children in 8 years! My parents are coming to look after everyone but I don't feel I could put on them if she is being as constant as she is!!

15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Sad to say, but it's too much to ask that she'll be toilet trained within two weeks. She's still a baby and needs time to learn the rules. She may be a bit better, but she'll still only be 12 weeks old.

You can give too many treats, yes. You need to ensure you're not overfeeding your dog and she doesn't get more than her daily allowance of food. You need to adjust her meals to take into account the amount of treats she is getting. What are you using for treats? Any shop-bought ones could potentially be high in things that make a dog more thirsty - salt, for example. I make my own treats (liver cake, banana and peanut butter cake) and also use chicken, cheese and the very occasional frankfurter, all chopped into tiny bits, about the size of a pea. I also use kibble a lot because my puppies seem to be as motivated by that as anything at this stage. They end up having pretty small meals most days - a small handful of kibble - because I use most of their allowance in training treats.

16. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Hello! Just seen this thread. Iv got maisie who is 9.5 weeks old. She has been doing really well with housetraining, but goes through stages of suddenly weeing every 10 mins. I rang the vet and she said to keep an eye on her, but they thought its just where shes drinking lots etc. it literally tends to be every few days and for about 2 hours at a time where she wees loads and then goes back to normal. I was wondering whether because it has been so cold and weve had the heating on high whether she just gets hot and drinks more. It also tends to be around the time she does her crazy paying with murphy so i think she just gets over excited and wees more in this time. I agree with snowbunny that it is too early for them to be completely accident free at this age. :)

17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I remember Riley being really easy to housetrain but it was summer and we had the doors open a lot. Obi spaniel has been quite different and he took many, many weeks before we were accident free. He's six months and based on his early bladder control I'm happy that he can be left 2.5 hours in the day and sleeps 10 - 7 at night. I still take him out frequently if I'm home, probably hourly as he seems to have a bladder the size of a horse which needs frequent emptying ::)

Good luck, it really does get easier.

18. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

I use kibble as treats too....and only bust out "treats" if I'm training a new skill and need a higher value. I generally take a small zipper top bag and mix in some soft training bites, some kibble, some larger doggie cookies (from gramma :* ), a bit of cheese cubes, and toast cubes too...and mix it all together in what equates to a good handful size and use that for training. If I've done a lot of training then I skimp on her next meal.

All those things of heat, excitement, and saltiness from her treats could be playing into how much she is drinking and therefore weeing.

I'm in a mode right now of trying to get my Bella to drink as much as possible to dilute her urine....so she gets very wet and sloppy meals, and I entice her with running water to help get her to drink even more. Thankfully she is 20 weeks and has pretty good bladder control....but we do encourage her to go frequently.

Deanna&Winston likes this.
  19. AngW

AngW Registered Users

Hi
    Just reading this string of events about frequent weeing. I sympathise. I too have a little lady lab who is 12 weeks old today. Since we got her 4 weeks ago she has always slept through without any nighttime accidents. We take her into the garden on waking, eating, drinking, if she’s sniffing, etc and invariably she will have a wee or two. We are fortunate that we are retired so are home with her all day. She took a while but does now go to the door when she wants to go outside. BUT! She has started wandering around the garden weeing what must be dribbles every few steps. I’ve stopped giving her treats when she wees now because this seemed a reason to wee or feign weeing. Sorry; are puppies that clever? However, she has now started weeing fairly frequently in the house. Small amounts and large amounts. Where on earth does it all come from. Fortunately we have wooden floors but it’s driving me to distraction. I’m worried about her. We’ve limited ourselves and her to two rooms where she has easy access to the same door that leads directly into the garden. Just to avoid any confusion if nothing else. Am I doing something wrong. Poor thing gets followed whenever she moves. She’s probably paranoid!
    We’ve been able to take her out on a lead for the first time today. I’m so hoping this will help. I’m certain there’s nothing medical or she wouldn’t be able to last all night and on the odd occasion we crate her when we go out for an hour. I’ve read we may have taken her out too often and given too much encouragement to go to the toilet and that dogs need a routine but I’m loath to ignore her whines at the door as I’m certain this will not help.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I would get her checked for a uti the walking and weeing every few steeps sounds suspicious to me. Yes puppies are very clever little things