Welcome to the puppies board

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Welcome to the puppies board

Good to hear that she seems to be feeling better today and that things seem to have settled a bit :)

I'm sure she'll get the hang of the whole house training thing :) Sometimes it can help to feed them in the area in which they seem to want to poo in the house - if she learns that it's a place for eating, she will be less keen on pooping there, since they like to avoid pooping in the eating or sleeping area :) So try feeding her her meals in various spots on the morning room carpet.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Glad she's on the mend,you hit the nail on the head when you say it's all about persevering.consistency has paid off with a lot for me,although perseverance and consistency have yet to have an effect on some things! You are doing a great job and I've had a chuckle at her hanging off your skirt,it's amazing the things you find yourself ignoring in an effort to improve their manners,to the uninitiated we could probably really look quite mad at times!excuse me....do you now you've got a labrador puppy hanging onto the leg of your trousers?

Just a note on the crate,I didn't want to use one when Dexter arrived,he had his own cordoned off area with luxurious dog bed including teddy......( what did I know?!!!)anyway the first night he yelled the house down and I ended up sleeping on the luxurious dog bed with him( didn't mind,the puppy snuggles were amazing :D)however 9 am the next morning my husband was at the pet shop buying a crate and we have never looked back.....granted it transpired he had been brought up in one so there was no training involved but he loves it,the door is always open except at night time and if he wants a bit of down time during the day if my house is busy and noisy he will go and settle himself in,so I really did an about turn on it.....I haven't had a dog before though so really I don't know any different where of course you do ......
    Chloe is only a little dot and you sound like you have the time to devote to guiding her along,she will be a lovely dog
    Angela

3. VAl

VAl Registered Users

Thank you both, well this morning pooh seemed better, now back to thick goo, heck, rather than proper stools. I am just wondering now if it might not be the jab and could be the food, Purina has come recommended, but we have had to up the amount, I phoned Purina and apparently we were not giving her anything like enough, now she is supposed to be on 350g a day soaked, this seem an awful lot to us, did mention it to the vet, but he did not seem phased. In fact next week at 12 weeks she is supposed to be on 400 g, maybe the increase, although done very slowly, over four days, is upsetting things. As a matter of interest a friend of ours who has a pup Wired Haired Fox Terrirer and has an older one and she is quite experienced with dogs, said her pup did sloppy poo, so she changed him from complete to Nature Diet twice a day and puppy meal with it at tea time and she says he is now doing normal, so will have to rethink maybe, she is full of fun today, cold nose, seems much brighter than yesterday which may have been jab reaction, but not fun scraping up , much easier to pick up normal stools. Not good for her either, she has been about four or five times today.

Have put her water bowl with her in morning room,toknight, had to put papers down though, and puppy paper in kitchen, (also water where is used to finding it for now) Will feed her in morning room tomorrow instead of kitchen and see what happens.
    She finds the puppy papers real fun, sits on them, plays with them, never thinks to poop on them ;D
    May ring vet in morning, but as she had a check up on Friday cannot see any good in taking her back. We have a very good pet shop in our village,may have a word with them first.

Cheerio for now, and thanks again for your help. Val

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The recommended quantities of feed on feed packets can be quite high. Labradors are 'good doers' and may not need the quantities listed. Just keep an eye on her weight and be guided by that :)

It might well be the food that is causing the poo problem. That'd be my guess too, more so than the vaccine. Having a chat to the pet shop could be helpful - good idea :)

5. Dexter

Hi Val ,

Dexter was 4 months when he came to us,his stools were really runny but we had been told to expect it for a little while due to the travel,climate change and general getting used to something different.he was on Eukanuba kibble but on advice of our friends and vet at the time I changed him over 2 weeks to Royal Canin puppy maxi.....he went even worse,I mean bad....walks involved poo bags,kitchen roll and a bottle of water to swill down!At this point i was changing vet anyway so on the meet and greet appointment we discussed it but it also transpired he had picked up Giardia.this is quite common and I'm sure fellow forum mates will have more info on this.A course of antibiotics cleared it up ( they made him even more runny ,it was a nightmare really) after we got rid of the giardia we still had the loose stool problem so the vet suggested I change him to royal Canin gastrointestinal junior.That was a 5 day transition.....runny all the way through.my parents were on holiday by this point my mum has had cockers and red setters for about 25 years.what I say next I still don't advocate even though I did it........mum brought some arrowroot powder with her which she gives to her dogs occasionally if they are runny and she doesn't believe there is any underlying problem.when she saw Dex,full of energy,curiosity and vigor and properly hydrated she said to give him a spoonful on his food.i wouldn't until I saw an improvement in his stools of their own accord,which I did after about 2 weeks on the gastro diet( I didn't want to mask any of the symptoms in case there was something serious)but you know what I gave him half a teaspoon on his breakfast one day and it did make a difference and then again 2 days later and it made a huge difference.He is still prone to soft poo ( i think he just has a sensitive tum)but I'm learning about him everyday and I only worry now if we get to where I can't pick it up.....then I reduce his food a little and put him back to 3 meals and he firms up again after a couple of days....
    Probably all of this is not relevant to your little Chloe ( particularyl the giardia ,i dont want to give you something else to have to think about)but I can remember how anxious I was about the upset tum issue and I just wanted you to know that it's not straightforward getting their diet right.When they are so young there seem so many factors to consider with vaccinations,leaving their litters etc she sounds in full fettle today so hopefully you are moving forward.
    Best wishes
    Angela

6. VAl

VAl Registered Users

Thank you very much indeed for your input, very much appreciated. Went to pet shop this morning as had to buy some more Purina Beta Puppy complete, our girls are very good, ,small holding,,horses, dogs etc., very knowledgeable, she said probably part of it the injection, probably far too much food and why was I soaking it, says so on the packet I said until twelve weeks, which is next week, so she said try half dry and half wet. I have done that, and given her about 7 grams less. each meal. She was very hungry, gave her a dog biscuit which was recommended by the shop. Suitable for pups.

I think she has done about five poos today, plus two since 7 tonight, flying round with her toys, being a little pain, thank goodness,
    so she is not ill. I do wonder about this complete food and if it is perhaps too rich, this Beta has chicory in it for good digestion ::)
    As it is £8 a bag will persevere, but just wondering whether when this has finished to try her on Nature Diet and ordinary pup dog meal. Our bin stinks, even though it is all in newspaper and a plastic bag. You are right about Arrowroot, it crossed my mind, my gran and my mum always used that for our dogs. I did ask the pet shop about pup diarrheoa tablets, but she said no, actually it is not diarrheoa, it is just brown sludge, not formed into nice poo. She has done proper poo up to the injection, except once or twice now and then.

I have a gut feeling it is the food, my friend has put hers on Nature Diet and puppy meal and no problems since, however,the vet said that the complete gives them all the things they need whilst growing. It certainly makes them thirsty when you give dry.

She has asked to go out twice today, that is good, and we cannot expect her to hold on all night as she is going far too frequently,
    trying again tomorrow and supposed to be putting her on three meals a day from next week, not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Thanks again for replying, it does help, regards Val

7. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Hw do I post pics of my pup help me

8. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Teena Ann link=topic=169.msg12756#msg12756 date=1371227129]
    Hw do I post pics of my pup help me
    [/quote]

Have a look at the Technical & Help section. It explains how to post a photo. Do you have a photo bucket or Flickr account?

9. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

We have a new puppy, this is our first puppy as our other dog was a rescue and came to us when he was about 8 months old. we have had her for 2 weeks now, and she has settled in very well, first 2 nights i slept downstairs with her but no real need to as she slept through the night with no problem, we have had a couple of accidents but nothing major, she sleeps in her cage at night and is clean in her cage. She is a very fast learner and has already learnt sit, paw and speak, we are working on down and watch me. She is allowed out for walks on the 11th of September so any advice on lead training her would be very helpful, she has accepted her collar with no worries as well as her harness. She is at the moment a typical labrador and loves food, which makes it easy for her to pick up new things.

10. Dexter

Hi Puppypal,

Thanks for introducing your dogs to us,you sound like you are making great progress with your puppy.We have Dexter...he is an 11 month old ,yellow lab.
    He's our first dog....I am a notorious loser at lead walking,it gives me brain ( and arm ???) ache every time we lead walk ....I messed it up at the beginning and whilst I started again with a different command for heel .....and we have had better results ....it's something I feel will never be good,he's better on the harness.
    All I would say is read Pippas articles on the main site .....I did them to the letter when I started again.....there is a thread called zigzagging on the lead.....ill look where it is and let you know,Pippa writes in it and I know my troubles helped Julie with her lead walking.....although bless her,she sounds like she's been tested today on another thread!
    Good luck
    Best Wishes
    Angela

11. Dexter

Labrador training /halti update 13 th July......ill try and find the other post

12. Puppypal

Thank you for your reply, i will have a look at pippa's articles. Our other dog was easy to lead train, well sort of easy it was usually us pulling him along as he did not want to walk, but we got there in the end after about 6 months of very hard work. he was a very hard first dog but i would never change him for the world, he means everything to me. At first we will walk them seperatly until she can walk nicely.

Dexter sounds lovely, puzzle is a fox red lab, well she is 1/8 vizla so not full lab but acts like a normal typical lab

13. Dexter

Labrador chat/zigzagging on lead July 10....have a read through them

I also used Pippas article'establishing a good heel position ' from the main site and I think not pulling on the lead was in the clicker training section....Hope that helps.....

14. Puppypal

thank you, i have got the total recall book and we are working our way through that with her, and once we have established her recall we will work on barley's recall, as he has not got one, he just returns in his own time and if he can be bothered, and he has scared us too many times with running out of the park gate onto the road, thankfully not a busy road

15. Teena Ann

Hello
    Angela Oberon Katie and Pippa and all the newbies in this forum.Its been a long tym seeing u guys and in really happy abt it cooper is 7 months old now and weighs around 20 kilos is this the ideal weight or should i be concerned im training him wid d help of a trainer and would lyk to knw if a choke collar can be used or is it cruel my trainer says tat Cooper doesn't luk lyk a 7 month old.. pls help

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Teena Ann, good news that you are getting some help with a trainer but I personally would not use a choke collar. Could you post a recent picture of Cooper so that we can see him?, as 20kg sounds on the light side to me but it maybe that he is of small build, but that's just my opinion. :)

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Teena Ann I have been thinking about you recently and wondering how you are! 20 kg is not very much, but my dog is fully grown and she only weighs 25 kg, so it depends how tall he is. I would not use a choke collar, it is not necessary if he is taught properly, and yes I think it is cruel. We'd love to see a photo of him! How great that you are keeping up with the training!! :)

18. Dexter

Teena Ann ;D it's lovely to hear from you,I only thought about you and Cooper yesterday....
    Dexter is 13 months now and only 23 kgs.....that's perfect as he looked a bit podgy and thick when he was at his heaviest which was 25 kgs...he's only a small build though,there's been other discussions about this and it really comes out that even though all the dogs are Labradors they are all different height,weights and builds,
    Helen suggests right,can you send us a photo of him...
    I'd also be reluctant to use a choke chain.....I'm really glad you have got a trainer to help you and I also know that ,like me ,you won't have a huge choice of training resources like other places in the world...all I can say is don't feel under pressure to use anything or do anything to Cooper that you feel yourself may be cruel to him,Trainers have all different ways and methods,I've spent time with a few different ones at classes and on a one to one basis.Ive used some things they've taught me and I've ignored other things that I wasn't comfortable with.I chucked a girl out my house because she told me to kick Dexter if he pulled ahead......Er,not in this lifetime ;D
    I'm so glad you are still using the forum,best wishes from Angela and Dexter xxx

19. Dan

Dan Registered Users

Hi all,

Quick question on smelly puppies!

When at work in the day my 9yr old and now 5 month old go out in the kennel. My older dog was never smelly but I think the puppy is weeing then walking in it and then jumping all over the older dog. They both honk albeit the puppy isn't weeing anywhere near as much as she used to.

Is it as simple as keep washing them until she has better bladder control or does anyone have any tips on keeping them smelling nice!!

Thanks.

Dan

20. Teena Ann

hey Dan
    its normal for dogs in kennels to smell and probably ur ryt they would have walked or rolled over their business personally i give my puppy Cooper a bath if he smells too bad other wise i leave him as he is u don have to worry abt it bcoz its not advised to wash or bathe dogs over prolonged period of tym bcoz their coat and skin will lose their natural shine i prefer u to wash them if hey smell too bad or oly the areas u feel is smelling alot and then maybe u can find some products online to keep ur dogs smelly clean and nice hope tat helps meanwhile enjoy ur puppy while he is still one its all part and parcel of their behaviour.Have a lovely day.... :) :) :) :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.