Welcome to the puppies board

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nala

Nala Registered Users

New Puppy

Tomorrow we pick up our yellow labrador. We are so excited but a little scared too. We never had a dog, just our 2 ragdolls cats. I am positive I will be back here for lots of advice.

2. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Re: New Puppy

[quote author=Nala link=topic=169.msg105708#msg105708 date=1409355093]
    Tomorrow we pick up our yellow labrador. We are so excited but a little scared too. We never had a dog, just our 2 ragdolls cats. I am positive I will be back here for lots of advice.
    [/quote]

Exciting times ahead for you, just bear in mind the Dog is going to be much more dependanton you that the cats ever where.

3. SarahBucko

SarahBucko Registered Users

Re: Welcome to the puppies board

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and have a 20 week puppy called Fletcher, picture below of him about a month back. We've walked him off the lead since 11 weeks and he's excellent ... unless he smells something dead. Then he's off, if I call him back in time all's well, but if he gets something in his mouth there's nothing I can do to get it off him. To date he's eaten a whole bird (feathers, beak and all), various bits of rabbit and a pheasant leg. The one good thing is that all this these additions to his diet seem to have no ill-effect, he has the constitution of, well, a labrador! Any tips?

[​IMG]

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you both!

I take a smelly tripe stick (well wrapped, they really do stink!) and swap for the dead thing, or whatever else she picks up and shouldn't have - it was a piece of glass one time :-\ :eek: :-\

She doesn't get a tripe stick at any other time so the lure of it remains irresistible :)

5. SarahBucko

SarahBucko Registered Users

Tripe stick?? Yep that sounds disgusting enough for him to love. I'll give it a go, thank you.

6. Chocolatelabowner

Chocolatelabowner Registered Users

questions re selecting and choosing pup

Hi all
    I have been to see a beautiful litter of chocolate pups and will definitely be having one of the bitches. They are currently 5 weeks old and will be ready for home on the 25th. I am interested to know the best way to mark my chosen pup, as I the mum doesn't like her pups wearing collars and has chewed them off and as they are dark the only place to mark them is on the skin... Worried about toxins if others lick or chew... Any help gratefully received. Had my last lab at 10 weeks and took her the same day so didn't have to worry re this
    Thanks
    Emma :)

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I've seen some people paint nails to distinguish them. Either the number of nails painted determines who's who, or they use different colours.

8. Chocolatelabowner

I had heard that somewhere else, I think it would have to be white as their little claws are black! Thank you

9. snowbunny

[quote author=Chocolatelabowner link=topic=169.msg141860#msg141860 date=1423145510]
    I had heard that somewhere else, I think it would have to be white as their little claws are black! Thank you
    [/quote]

Don't worry, red, pink etc will still show up on black nails. Not that I've ever painted my Willow's nails, I hasten to add :D

10. snowbunny

Also, welcome to the forum! And how exciting for you! This will be a long couple of weeks for you!! I can recommend getting a copy of The Happy Puppy Handbook now to read before your little monster comes home. It's a great book that I read twice before picking up mine (now six months) and once since. Loads of good nuggets of information :)

11. Chocolatelabowner

Brilliant thank you where do I get that? :)

12. snowbunny

It's available on Amazon - you can get it in hard copy or on Kindle (which is what I did because I needed it RIGHT THEN THAT SECOND!) :D

http://amzn.to/1C31prY

13. Chocolatelabowner

Ha ha! Sounds like we are similar! I've just done exactly that! Thank you again. Also do you recommend choosing a pup between 5 and 6 weeks or should I wait? They are still so sleepy and tiny but I want to make sure I get the best out of the 4 bitches as I was the first one to go and see them and others going Saturday...
    TIA

14. snowbunny

[quote author=Chocolatelabowner link=topic=169.msg141867#msg141867 date=1423146229]
    Ha ha! Sounds like we are similar! I've just done exactly that! Thank you again. Also do you recommend choosing a pup between 5 and 6 weeks or should I wait? They are still so sleepy and tiny but I want to make sure I get the best out of the 4 bitches as I was the first one to go and see them and others going Saturday...
    TIA
    [/quote]

I chose mine at 6.5 weeks. Well, actually, I almost couldn't choose between two - a black bitch and a yellow dog. They both had identical, mischievous personalities. In the end, we decided a bitch would be easier, so we went with her.

Then, for a number of reasons, a few weeks later, we took the boy home, too.

At six and a half weeks, they had exactly the same personality. I was lucky to spend several days with them, and saw the entire litter over this time, so it wasn't just a case of a choice in ten minutes. Now, they have completely different personalities. Willow (the black bitch) is a little aloof, bombproof and very independent. Shadow (the yellow dog) is a little more jumpy, always looking for tummy rubs and very willing to please.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, they change a lot as they grow up, so don't over-think it! Go for one that you're most drawn to :)

15. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Hi everyone this is such a lovely resource as I don't have any dog owner friends. It's great reading the comments. I collected my nine week old chocolate lab puppy last Saturday. Yesterday only one little puddle on the carpet, today I took my eye off her and had far too many. They really are adorable it's my first lab puppy but I can't imagine not having her in my life already. Wondered if feeling so tired was something anyone else felt. Mabel is such a good little puppy sleeps from 10.30 until 7.00. I Get her up to go to the toilet at midnight and 4.30 ish and plan to slowly increase the time over the coming days.

16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you Pilatelover from me, Gypsy and Tatze.

Oh yes! exhaustion is very normal indeed!

Enjoy your lovely pupster ;D

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Welcome both :) tiredness will be ongoing for a few weeks, but will pay off :)
    Puppy photos are loved on here ;) hint hint ;)

18. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Thank you, feel much better now I know it's normal to feel exhausted. Oh dear I've tried to attach a photo but I can't get it to work. Probably try another day. :)

19. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Welcome to you both! Yes, exhaustion is the norm for the first month at least, and then you'll get into a routine.

I have gone both ways in picking my dogs - from picking them before taking them home, to just deciding when I arrived....I'm not sure what to say other than follow your gut and trust your instincts....if you're drawn to one in particular...go for it. :) Oh...I would say from personal experience to have a good physical inspection of the little girl parts, and be aware of tucked vulvas - and avoid if possible. They can be more prone to infections with a tucked vulva.

otherwise....sit back and enjoy your new little bundle of joy!

I've got a justabout 5 month old chocolate girl named Bella, and we live in the US. ;D

20. Chocolatelabowner

:) thank you all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.