What’s in your Garden?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Johnny Walker, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Just replying to a thread and thought to myself... what’s in my yard at night. Here’s a list of what we have. Comment below with what types of wildlife you might have to deal with.

Cows, Deer, Moose, Black bears, coyote, fox, Lynx, neighbours stupid barn cats, muscrat, squirrels, mice, rabbits, owls, eagles, osprey racoons ( nightly ) and a skunk in the summer. Luckily no issues yet. He has eaten a few mice though.

Maxx's Mum and selina27 like this.
  2. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

We have had: muskrat, adder, Northern goshawk, common snipe, curlew, fox, squirrel, moose, deer, yellow-necked mouse, vole and either a mink or pine marten in the sauna cabin attic (the poo is very similar, so not sure which) :mad:

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  3. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Lots of skunks, birds, cats, squirrels and raccoons. There have been sightings of coyotes on the neighbourhood streets in previous years but not yet this year. Skunks are the biggest worry in the dark yard.

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  4. Granca

Granca Registered Users

:eek: I think all we've got is lots of birds, some squirrels and foxes, with perhaps a few mice, voles and maybe a rat or two. I'm hoping to see some hedgehogs, but despite my woodpiles I haven't seen any for several years... We used to have grass snakes too.

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Lots of birds (Blackbirds, Rooks, Goldfinches, Sparrows, Linnets, Greenfinches, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Chaffinches, a Wren, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeons, Magpies, Herring Gulls, Jackdaws, Song Thrushes, a Sparrowhawk (once - it killed a Wood Pigeon) - I listed them because this is just about all the wildlife we get! There's a rat & a field mouse under the shed too.

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Oooh, great thread. I have only a small garden, but living as I do quite remotely in the UK countryside there is a very great variety of wildlife not far outside my fence -- roe deer, badgers, otters and foxes to name a few. But they don't come into my garden.
    Hedgehogs, I had some babies last year, and toads and frogs being as it is quite damp. Plenty of blasted slugs, and in the day time many birds.
    I'm sure there are mice and voles, but the neighbouring cats discourage I dare say.
    Oh and last autumn there was a mole, how could I forget him, my little lawn is a network of tunnels, mowing it is now a challenge :)

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just squirrels - and the occasional brave cat :)

Maxx's Mum, Granca and Naya like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Does a very drunk man lying in a bush shouting and a couple having sex in my back garden count? Teenager trying to rob next door. Oh squirrels hedgehogs mice rats cats sparrowhawk foxes newts toads frogs red kite assorted groovy finches and tits.

BevE, FayRose, Karen and 12 others like this.
  9. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

:cwl::cwl:

Is it ok to laugh?

CMartin, Naya and SwampDonkey like this.
  10. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Um, ever thought of moving house? :eek:

My garden has frogs, rats (well, they've decamped momentarily with Paul on guard), geckos, bunnies, very loud crickets and chirpy birds that I don't know the name of. Also the occasional deadly golfball flying in off the golf course. :D

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Same here plus hedgehogs

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  12. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Foxes frequently pass through. The odd domestic cat ( though Molly sees them off.) Lots of birds - pigeons, seagulls, sparrows, robins, tits, starlings, blackbirds, rooks, and just once a pheasant. Also the odd slow worm (legless lizard) which I hate for no logical reason. Very occasionally I see a frog or toad.

selina27 and Maxx's Mum like this.
  13. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

56B97F45-7B83-4139-9ACB-B88B6A747DC5.jpeg

Just Barney :)

FayRose, Karen, CMartin and 12 others like this.
  14. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

In our back yard in town, just birds and squirrels and the occasional cat or raccoon. In the neighborhood, add coyotes, deer, eagles and other hawks Additionally At our Cabin potentially Black Bears, Elk, Cougars and Wolves. I've never seen Bears or Cougars but we know they are around. Wolves have recently been sighted in the Mt Hood area.

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  15. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Just birds (there are some fruit trees on the fence line so we get a lot of Rosellas, Parrots and cockatoos) and possums I think/hope :eek:

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We have Daisy bunny and some passing cats.
    The odd fox and wild rabbit with the occaional toad and hedgehog. The deer are usually the other side of our garden wall.
    Mice are probably more in the house than garden, sometimes spotted a rat.
    Pair of roosting pigeons with clogs on (on our flat roof) as well as a pair of magpies. One Percy the pheasant. A friendly robin, other miscellaneous chirping birds.
    And bats. And nesting swifts. The latter both in our close.

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I can't wait for the swifts to be back out of all the summer birds I love them. My dad and i loved them so much,. Their screams and amazing flights always remind me if him.

18. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I won't embed a photo because they're the stuff of nightmares, but we've got weta. Just typing that gave me the shudders.

We get the odd native bird - tui and fantail, otherwise it's your common garden birds.

I've seen little brown skinks in piles of dead sticks.

We've got our two hens. I've stumbled across a hedgehog before. And Daisy (RIP) brought in a massive LIVE rat one morning.

Yeah, NZ doesn't have the most varied wildlife.

Emily_BabbelHund and Maxx's Mum like this.
  19. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

20. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

They're completely harmless but are the stuff of nightmares for *almost* every single Kiwi. I've just scared myself by googling them, and apparently there are 70 species of the things, which is 70 species too much. I'm just grateful that I don't like in Australia because their scary things can actually kill you.

Maxx's Mum likes this.