What could be the matter with my lovely 13 month old?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by selina27, May 22, 2017.

1. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Over the last couple of days it seems Cassie has regressed to 7 month old. Or maybe is just generally out of sorts and I can't work it out.

Two things have changed -- about 10 days ago I changed her food from Skinners Junior to Maintainance, which she doesn't seem keen on, and 3 days ago I started the first exercise in Total Recall with tasty treats, which she is keen on.

But since Saturday she seems tetchy at times and I keep hearing little grunts and groans for no apparent reason, and she doesn't seem able to settle in her bed, she does of course prefer the little sofa but is only allowed there if she settles, but she keeps scratching, scraping and removing cushions which means she gets removed. She's currently sleeping in her crate but took a while to do so. It's unusual because normally once she's had exercise training etc she's happy to sleep wherever.
    She enjoyed her walk this afternoon, even nearly swimming and happily retrieving a stick which she doesn't usually do. Last night she returned to zoomies and launching herself at me and grabbing my arm/clothes which she's not done for months, hurting my hand which made me a bit despondent. She was a very bitey pup and seems to want to grab my hand at the moment.
    She was in season just before Easter so it's not that, and was very well behaved throughout.

So I'm not sure whether she feels unwell, I can't see that she's got any discharge, but obviously I would need a vet if she is. Or whether she has some sort of hormonal change at this stage, I already do a fair bit of training with her and am trying out a new class on Saturday.

I feel a bit unhappy. Any one got any ideas?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I must admit I was wondering if it could be season-related?

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`m thinking phantom pregnancy , especially as she is sorting out cushions , nesting ? The timing is about right x

DebzC likes this.
  4. selina27

Thank you @kateincornwall , the weekend before we thought perhaps she was but then not. I remember as a kid a family dog had one but I don't remember much about it. She seems quite changeable in mood and definitely not her usual happy-go-lucky self. :(

kateincornwall likes this.
  5. kateincornwall

Yes, my little Millie who died last year, had a phantom , she was everso moody and uncharacteristically snappy , she then produced milk so we got some hormone medication from the Vets . Nesting and sorting cushions out is a good indicator , bless her x

6. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

I agree with the phantom pregnancy ideas, sounds quite likely.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

When you Said she couldn't settle I thought phantom too Is she nesting? With her toys or cushions? This was on of the reasons I spayed Moo she got really moody and down.

8. selina27

Yes the more I think about it seems you're all right. My son thought she was "bagging up" week ago (farming speak for mammary glands swelling) I said over weekend it had gone down but he disagreed, seems he was right.
    She seems desperate to rearrange sofa, she has been chewing more frantically than she ever has, her teddy bear and old slipper of mine. She usually only carries her bear.
    Yeah, moody and down covers it. I suppose she can forget about it on a walk. She stayed in the house this afternoon when I was in garden, I thought that was odd.
    Thank goodness for this forum :) helping me put it together.
    It would explain all the arm grabbing, she does that when she's agitated or excited.
    How long should I expect it to last?

9. kateincornwall

Usually about 3/4 weeks , from the very start but if it persists or gets worse ( producing milk for example ) then a Vet is the best option as they can help with hormone treatment . She sounds a classic case , poor love and you too !

10. selina27

Oh I didn't realise it could go on so long, she must be about a week in, I thought they only lasted a few days. I will check for milk.
    Yeah, my poor l'il one, I don't like her being cross.:shake:

I feel better for having an explanation though, thanks for all your replies.

11. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Loss of appetite can also be a symptom so may be worth switching her back to the Skinner Junior if she enjoys it.

selina27 likes this.
  12. selina27

@kateincornwall , @SwampDonkey , with your bitches having ph p did their behaviour fluctuate between being their normal selves and then periods of apparently just not knowing what they want?

13. kateincornwall

Absolutely yes ! It was a confusing time for Millie . Out and about she was fine , and sometimes at home she was fine, other times she was grumpy, moody and possessive with toys and blankets .

selina27 likes this.
  14. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Just read your post @selina27 and was thinking - phantom pregnancy- then read all the replies saying the same. I can understand you feeling despondent as any 'regression' isn't nice. I hope for both you and Cassie this is short lived.

selina27 likes this.
  15. kateincornwall

I do think we can sometimes underestimate the effects of a phantom pregnancy on a bitch . Alright , so they aren't ill , but the confusion is really horrible for them , as they are convinced that they are having babies . I was told by my Vet that once a bitch has suffered a PG , it is far more likely to happen again , so I had Millie spayed as we had planned to do anyway . Nell is being spayed on 5th June x

selina27 likes this.
  16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Ahh! How did I miss this? :) If it's any consolation Bramble had a phantom pregnancy a couple of weeks ago. I didn't last long, didn't have any marked swelling, a slight leak from one of her nipples, but I could have easily missed that. The main behaviour I noticed was the initial moodiness (for want of a better term) she took herself to her crate at odd times and would whine quietly to herself. Soon after she started collecting toys and taking them to bed. Woe betide Benson and Casper if they even glanced in the direction of her toys! It didn't last long, and this was punctuated with times when she seemed to "forget" she was broody, and then remember suddenly. I guess in total it was about 10 days? It has left her a bit distracted by people and dogs on walks so a bit more work to do there :)

selina27 likes this.
  17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yes but I can remember moo went of her food too She was very down and would start to eat then just stop. She just stayed in her bed and would have s mooch about in a disinterestrd way. She had a very flat mood.

selina27 likes this.