What daily training do you do?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Stacia, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I feel I do not train my dogs enough daily! They can walk to heel and retrieve, one is brilliant at recalling, the 6 year old never listens! They can stand, lie down, sit on command BUT I never seem to train them daily, take them for a walk and let them go. What should I be doing?

Stacia

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: What daily training do you do?

That depends on so many things. What you want to achieve, how your dog reacts to breaks in training, and so on. I don't train every single day, though some trainers do.

I tend to train in bursts, and to focus on one particular goal at a time. So I set a little goal for a particular dog, and with 'yard training' I train two or even three times a day until I reach it. Maybe for several days. Then I might miss a day or three. :D

With field training, I rarely train more than once a day nowadays, though I used to train morning and evening. And again, once I have reached a particular goal, I may well have a break before starting the next goal.

One study showed that dogs actually learned more quickly when there were some breaks in training, allowing them to mentally consolidate what they had learned.

Pippa

3. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I train in a similar way to Pippa and put the dogs away after a training session for a rest and to give them a chance to mentally digest what happened during training.
    I tend to work on my dogs weaknesses more than their strong points. So if the dog is a good retriever but is lacking steadyness then I concentrate on that for example.
    The one thing I never do though is take them for walks, take the lead off and let them get on with it. I feel that that would sabotage everything I train for. :)

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I don't think I could not take my dogs for a walk and let them go, I like them to have a free run, but of course not rampaging out of control! I do sometimes do little bits of retrieving but I don't seem to do any obedience training, though I suppose there is a lot of obedience in retrieving.

I want to achieve well behaved dogs in every day life and good gundogs. Both Pippa and Heidrun could you be more specific in the things you train just to give me some ideas?

Stacia

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Obviously considerably less experienced but we probably do little bits of consolidation every day on our walks especially if I can sneak in some successful recalls. It keeps Riley focused and less likely to look for alternative employment.

Planned training is less frequent overall in terms of days but when we do it it's in more frequent sessions (2-3 a day) when we're learning something completely new.

I think as a novice I find the very hardest thing is to know when to throw that last retrieve(or whatever you're doing) vs when to leave it for the session/day/week. I guess you get better at that with every dog although they're all so different they'll all teach you something :)

6. heidrun

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=1204.msg7617#msg7617 date=1361040591]

I want to achieve well behaved dogs in every day life and good gundogs. Both Pippa and Heidrun could you be more specific in the things you train just to give me some ideas?

Stacia
    [/quote]

Just to give you an example. This morning I worked on steadiness. I had all four dogs sitting up next to each other in the field and then threw dummies at varying distances from them. Also had my OH help by throwing dummies at even further distance. Then I went and collected them all myself ;). I finished off the exercise by giving each dog a retrieve whilst the other three remained sitting. Morning training done and dusted. :D

This afternoon I will take the dogs out individually for either some directional work or some hunting with sit to thrown dummy. If I am lucky I might even come across the real thing and the dogs get a flush on a rabbit. ;D

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Thank you both for some ideas. Any more?

Heidrun do you have to travel far when you take the dogs out individually? I take my three out separately for a very short lead walk in the morning, but this only incorporates heel walking and toilet stops! It is so muddy around here I have to drive about ten minutes to find open land and then the dogs are plastered!

Stacia

8. heidrun

Stacia, I am very lucky I have a 6 acres field right next to my back lawn for training. This is where i do most of the retrieving stuff. I also have access to a couple of shoots to train hunting in cover crops of different varieties, but obviously that is depending on the time of year.
    My field is a mud bath at the moment so a warm shower for the dogs after training is part of their daily routine. :)

9. bbrown

Ooohhh 6 acres........so jealous :D

10. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

It's the warm dog shower that makes me green. :D

I don't have a set training regime, things are worked on every day - whenever we're out. Specific problems are dealt with as swiftly as possible, ideally as soon as they arise &/or are noticed and they might justify a set programme if they're more than minor niggles.

My girls have certain triggers for a 'relaxed' walk and a time to go out for some proper 'work' or training, but even our relaxed walks have a bit of training built in, they all start with a recall reminder and as soon as it looks suitable a stop too (head down, busy - not actively looking at me for the next cue). They've learnt how far away from me they are permitted to go and generally don't stray beyond our perimeter coming back in when they reach the limit, within that area I give them pretty much free rein to scent, dash about and play with each other. But when I've got the bag over my shoulder they'll barely leave my side knowing it's stuffed with dummies etc. Our 'proper' training varies according to dog, season, my workload and mobility and can be once a day or once a month - or less, last spring Hebe didn't get any training for eight weeks as I was laid up (again :( ) with a smashed ankle.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I too covet the warm dog shower.
    I feel I can't advise on training since I have concluded I am rubbish at it. :(

jac

12. heidrun

The warm dog shower is actually a horse shower :D. It runs on a gas bottle and can be installed anywhere outside. It is magic! The dogs (and the horses) love it. ;D

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

14. heidrun

I know, not cheap. But with four mucky spaniels and two horses it makes for a much easier life in winter. 8)

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sounds like a necessity for you!
    I just get through a lot of towels - and floor cleaner
    (actually......I just have a permanently mucky house, but don't tell anyone) :-\

16. heidrun

I also have a dog blaster! 8) Does away with all those wet towels. :p and dries the dogs in no time.

17. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

You`re not alone Jac ;)

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Actually, re "dog-blasters".......
    When we go hydrotherapy swimming, she submits to a shower AND industrial dog-blaster without too much fuss, but at home........
    OMG! She scarpers as soon as my daughter comes through with an un-plagged hair-dryer in her hand (for herself). And the hoover? She won't even step over the electric cable!
    Dogs....you gotta love 'em ::)

19. bbrown

I'm with you Jac, I'd like to claim it's just the utility room that gets filthy but it's pretty much the whole downstairs once Riley's legged it in to see everyone he's missed while he's been out and about. Thank goodness The husband put his foot down and said no dogs upstairs :)

20. David

David Registered Users

Wow. Do the dogs mind being showered?