What do we all have?

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Penny+Me, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Ok then guys, as I think I was one of the people to request this one. What other animals do you all have??

I have a cat called Fergus, who is very strange. His favourite past times are playing with water, he likes to get under the shower and the running taps, if you let him in the bedroom at min the likes to use your hands as a chew toy, and he likes to drink out of the toilet. A real oddball. I adopted him from the second rescue center I worked at - him and a brother and sister were found in a bin at the local recycling center at 6 weeks old.

I also have two rabbits - Merlin and Freya, they are semi house rabbits - they live indoors but in a hutch.

2. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

Re: What do we all have?

We are full time slaves to The DivaDog [​IMG] so aren't allowed any other pets.

Our dear old tabby cat Mewt (short for Mewtant as he had extra claws on the front feet) died at the grand old age of 14 and a bit last year and we haven't had the heart to get another cat ... yet?

We have 9 tiny Sebright bantam hens that live in the back garden. These are the tiniest hens I've ever seen but lay wonderful little eggs. They range from the Old One at 11 and three newbies only a year or so old.

Previously my home has been filled with parrots both my own and rescue/rehab birds. When dear old Jo-Jo passed at 47 I gave up having birds here but do technically own 19 I've adopted out to approved homes over the years. Still keep my finger in the parroty-pie and help run a forum pretty much the bird version of this place and advise on rescue and rehabilitating and helping birds/owners live in peace together whenever I'm needed.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have 16 Blue Swedish ducks (well, 16 currently). They are pets, egg producers and show birds, in that order. Also three chickens - two Black Australian Langshans and one bitzer.

And hubby names any spiders that come to live in our house. The rule is that they get evicted if they have babies. Sounds rather horrific when I write it down. :eek:

And we have a Brush-tailed Possum living in our outdoor laundry.

[​IMG]

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

A Possum! That is amazing :) Did you put the box up in the hopes of encouraging a wild one, or is he a pet?

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

How cute with his little peeking eye :D

6. Oberon

He (or she...not sure) was living in the laundry already so we built him (or perhaps her....) the house. S/he collected eucalyptus leaves to line the bottom of the house and then moved right in.

Another possum then came to live in the laundry behind our beer fridge, so we built that one a house too. The two of them have an uneasy truce. They thunder across our roof every night like mini elephants.

Brush-tailed Possums are really common. Basically, by building them Possum houses like this you stop them from moving into the roof of your main human house. Sometimes we leave them fruit on the shelf - they like apple.

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

That's a really nice approach to what is presumably a potential problem. Are they destructive if they get into your roof space?

8. Oberon

No, they don't really do any damage. Not like rats or anything. They may enlarge their entry point a bit (although they don't need much room to get in). Their wee is very concentrated but they usually wee outdoors, not where they sleep. It's certainly not great for automotive paint though, I can vouch for that.

We like having them :) This is the other house in the laundry (must do something about that ivy...), though both residents had already left for their night's foraging:

[​IMG]

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats amazing Rachael ;D

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

WOW - I'd love a possum in the garage!

Never seen one before, not even a photo *googles*

We only have Tatze. I'd love a puss cat, but Mr Boogs is not keen.

:)

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Do tadpoles count ;)

12. Oberon

Definitely they count :)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd just like to say: I spent my lunchtime reading the Australin Government's guide to building possum houses, and the correct way to relocate a possum from a roof space to its new house.

So if a possum moves into Wimbledon, I've got a plan.

::)

14. Oberon

That is excellent. If we end up with extra possums I'll send them your way.

15. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

Two cats, Fatty and Scruff. Fatty brings socks as presents and Scruff I am convinced doesn't think she is a cat as she won't clean herself and doesn't know how to put her claws away at all!

We kind of have a 3rd cat called Tiny. After my next door neighbour passed away her husband went off the rails a bit and disappeared for nearly 2 months so we fed her and she would invite herself into the house during the day while the other 2 were asleep and still does now.

And our son! Can't forget the boy!

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

No other pets here, unless you include the odd random roving teenager... ;)

Seriously, Rachel? Possums, too???

17. Oberon

Well, the possums are free to come and go, so I can't really lay claim to them :) I just take care of their accommodation needs....

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We have a white (well, graying a bit) bunmy rabbit called Daisy. Not quite sure how old she is as she was a rescue. 4 or 5 at least.
    She replaced our gorgeous Willie Wabbit another rescue. He behaved like a wee dog following us around in the garden. He was PTS at around 6 or 7 as he had a large soft tissue tumour on his front leg that was beginning to cause problems bleeding. Our vet thought he was too old to survive an op :(
    We have mice too. And a large selection of inhumane traps :eek:

(edited to change the emoticon ;) )

19. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Apart from Holly our only other animals are a large colony of snails that massacre our plants and vegetables every year. We'd be happy to re-home them if anyone has details of snail rescue :)

20. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

My pets are a dog, two boys and a husband. One has been easier to train than the other 3!