What is your opinion on Labradoodles and hybrids in general?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Mar 7, 2017.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I totally agree about the silly names the breeders give them, it's unecessary. When anyone asks me what breed Hattie is, I say she Labrador cross, some people will say she's a Labradoodle and I say, I don't like that silly name because it gives the wrong impression of the breed which is sad. I wouldn't swap her for a Euro lottery win :) x

CMartin, Cath, Pilatelover and 4 others like this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You mean to say I know something that most people don't know :celebrate::dancesheep::happyfeet::clap::monkey:

A Standard Poodle is still used but not a lot as a water retriever of ducks and all water birds, so I believe. They have a double thick coat which makes them very suitable for water :)

David would love a Standard Poodle :) xx

drjs@5 and kateincornwall like this.
  3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Helen, I'm sorry - I feel like I opened a can of worms here for you without intending to at all. I'd not seen this brought up before as a topic and really was just curious not only about what people thought but also how you'd go about finding a Labradoodle from a good breeder. Not meaning it couldn't be done, just that I wouldn't know how to do it.

The ones I've met have been lovely and obviously Hattie fits that description as well, not to mention being a wonderful PAT dog.

4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Helen, not Hattie! You made an informed decision and got a lovely dog!

I was talking about the people who just get two random dogs and breed them without any concern for their health then charge a fortune for them.

I've been asked if Stanley could be a stud by two of my friends. One with the springador and one with a Labrador. They never asked about his health or anything, just said he was small so people would love a mini lab. My response was a resounding NO!

I think it stems from my guilt of just buying Stanley from some randomer who bred their dog, obviously for money. I adore my dog and would never take back getting him, but I do wish I'd spent more time researching proper breeders. But I was naive and knew no better - it was only when I came here I realised the error is made.

SwampDonkey and charlie like this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Emily, you haven't, I'm not upset with you but with people's perception of this breed without knowing how wonderful they are and the good work they do :)

What is seems to boil down to is the name "Labradoodle" take that away and it's all fine, they are simply a crossbreed :rolleyes:

Only buy from a good breeder with health checks as you would a 'Labrador' or any other breed.

This can of worms will always be opened, I will get upset, have my say until the next person brings it up. I hope people will rescue them as they would any other breed because they really do make the most fantastic family pet :)

If you are interested in a breeder I do know of a good one, unfortunately Hattie's breeder doesn't breed them any more :( xx

6. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

I have absolutely no problem with the dogs, they are gorgeous. What I can't abide is the way some people breed them simply to make money. I've lost count of the times I've seen ads for doodles of one sort or another advertised for £800 and more, with the assurance that they don't shed hair, are totally trustworthy with children and are far more trainable than pedigrees. That type of thing I think is abhorrent.

7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

This goes for pure-breed too. So sad. I'm always seeing posts on a local Facebook pet page saying things like "wanted, xx-dog for stud, I just want to breed my girl once before she's spayed". No health checks. But the pups are still advertised for £600-£1000 - it makes me cross.

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

This is true it's not Labradoodles breeders etc. I drove past a very large beautiful countryside house a few years ago that had a handwritten cardboard sign hanging on the gate "Chocolate Labrador puppies for sale" - really and that's sensible breeding? It's not simply making money? :(

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

The more I think about it, the more I can't see any problem with people breeding cross breeds, provided they are well treated and all have homes. Before I got Molly I looked for months at the Dog's Trust sites and I don't ever remember seeing a labradoodle on offer. In fact in England I really don't think there is a big problem with dogs needing rehoming (apart from Staffies and collie crosses). So if there are good homes out there for labradoodles, cockerpoos etc I can't see the problem. And as for the price, well that's just market forces.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

The point is the conditions they are bred under. The same applies to the purebred market of course.

SwampDonkey and pippa@labforumHQ like this.
  11. Emily_BabbelHund

Actually it may be different in the UK, but in the US I was under the impression that Lab/Poodle crosses (I won't use that word you don't like any more) are very much sought after and thought of as great family dogs. I think if one came into rescue in California at least, people would be falling over themselves to adopt him/her.

I get it!! This is how I feel when the whole BSL or Rotties/pits are vicious discussion comes up. Sometimes we've got to do the "mama bear" routine! I had no idea there was a "thing" about Lab/Poodle crosses, so I'm glad you've put it out there as part of the discussion.

kateincornwall and charlie like this.
  12. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I have no problems per second with the so called 'designer breeds' as long as the parents have been fully health tested in accordance with the needs for their breed and that the parents come from health tested lines. I do have a major problem with the exorbitant prices people put on these puppies however cute they are, not to even mention the Puppy farm type breeding which supplies many of these dogs.

edzbird, kateincornwall and charlie like this.
  13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aww thank you Sue from Hattie and me xxx :*

edzbird likes this.
  14. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I think this is a really interesting topic. I actually have no objection to hybrids or mixed breeds of any kind. And I don't have a problem with someone charging a decent amount of money for a puppy no matter what its ancestry. Raising puppies right, is hard work.

I personally like to purchase pedigree gundog puppies because I get a predictable outcome in terms of ability and appearance. Time was when I would have been fiercely against designer dogs, but I no longer feel that there is something intrinsically valuable about a purebred dog simply because it comes from a closed register.

If people want to buy labradoodles or cockapoos or whatever, good luck to them. And if people want to breed designer dogs for money, because there is a demand, I don't have a problem with that either, provided it is done with dog welfare as a priority. It is worth bearing in mind that money is at least part of the motivation for plenty of pedigree breeders. It is the outcome for the dog that matters in the end.

At the moment, it is somewhat easier to find a responsible breeder if you are looking for a purebred dog, but that is changing. I know of a local designer dog breeder producing stunning cockapoo puppies with wonderful temperaments. Of course, I'd like to see a culture where good breeding practices apply to all breeders, without exception. Not sure what the best way to do that is :) Perhaps some kind of national dog breeders association that is not restricted to purebreds?

My personal view is that we need to think outside the box and look at dog breeding with a fresh mind. I also believe that pedigree registers will be opened within the next twenty years as they are an insupportable long term aim. Gene pools cannot exist indefinitely in isolation.

blackdog18, Granca, bbrown and 6 others like this.
  15. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

I agree, responsible breeding is more important than whether its pure bred/cross. I think it's John Bradshaw in "In Defense of Dogs" who says that we should breed for temperament in pet dogs rather than for appearance.

On a practical note, I wouldn't have a poodle cross because you have to groom them so much... I'm happier with a dog that just needs a brush a couple of times a week, and doesn't need clipping/trimming.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  16. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Unfortunately there are more and more pugs, frenchies, bulldogs (all brachycephalic breeds) appearing in rescue centres many requiring costly operations and care to open nasal passages or correct palate problems allowing the poor dogs to breathe better :(

17. Emily_BabbelHund

This is my reason for not getting a poodle or poodle cross. I grew up with them and it was my job as a kid to groom our dog. Then I got another poodle as an adult and struggled once again with the grooming at home plus the runs to the groomer every 6 weeks to shave him down into a puppy cut. My little guy was only 8 lbs. and I brushed him 2-3 times a week but it still wasn't enough and he'd mat seemingly at the drop of a pin because his hair was so fine. It's just not my thing to patiently pick out mats for hours after a trip to the beach, but that's what was needed with a poodle.

I'd just rather do the short wash and wear version and do sweeping duty once a day. Besides, no shedding means no dog hair in your food. What's a home without dog hair in your food? :D

MF, drjs@5 and Karen like this.
  18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

There is the most stunning parti poodle (multicoloured) on Facebook doing a very creditable job of being a gundog. I absolutely adore her, she makes me smile whenever I see her!

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I only groom Hattie once a week and she gets clipped every 3 months and that's it :)

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yay, go Poodles :) I would love to see that Barbara :) x

drjs@5 likes this.