What is your toy policy?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sally C, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Sally C

Sally C Registered Users

Hello!

What do people do regarding toys and their pups? Does your pup always have a toy to hand, or multiple, or is there specific toy time and non-toy time?

When outside we normally have a game of 'chase me' (him chasing me!), a few throws of a ball. Inside, we have training sessions using treats, sometimes rewarded with a final throw of a fave toy, which goes down well. When he's doodling around the kitchen when I'm cooking or whatever, I tend to give him one toy or an ice cube, if he loses interest I will take that toy away and give him another which seems to work well, and when I'm done with my own things I'll interact with him a lot more, with or without toys. I will give him a chew toy when he goes into his pen...

But I tend to take toys away when it's "quiet time" or when he goes to bed at night. And if he gets overexcited/starts playing not so nicely, then I kindly take the toy away and instill a bit of quiet time. Plus I'm not allowing toys in the front room as we want this to be quiet time - I know this will take time and patience as he's so wee still but I'm allowing him short bursts of living room time and when he gets too excitable, we go back into utility/kitchen. Once I did give him a chew for the living room to try and divert his attention to not chewing the throw on the sofa, but he just got really playful which isn't conducive to relaxed cats/boyfriend etc... to be expected really, he is a puppy after all!

Does anyone else monitor toys? Am I being really mean?! I kind of thought it's best to not let play time be a free for all, and to put toys away so they hold value... But should I leave him a toy/chew still when I'm trying to get him to sleep? I'd be very interested to hear the different "toy policies" of you all! :D

2. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Re: What is your toy policy?!

I have toys everywhere!! During day when I'm out , only chew toys tho for safety but in the evenings she can play with whatever she wants, although the tennis ball is for our click and retrieve training :) At night, no toys in her crate, just tshirts and a comforter , when I heard squeak squeak at 5.30am this morning however, I realised she got a small toy in her crate last night ... Crafty ;D

Bella snuggles up to cuddly Mr Fox at nap time but also plays with him..l.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Some things are reserved for walks - tennis balls, dummies, anything with rabbit skin - but then I cycle the "home" toys. They always have access to one or two, but every few days, I remove that and replace it with another one. It keeps them interested, whereas when they're all there all the time, I find they get a bit disinterested in them. I also don't want toys ALL over the floor! :D

I don't find that toys or chews wind them up, though - in general, they calm them down, unless they start winding each other up with "look what I've got, I bet you really want it, don't you??" ::)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We have some things which are just for outside such as dummies and football. The rest of her toys are in a plastic toy box in the dining area which she can get whenever she wants. When she was younger I used to only have a handful of toys out at a time. She rarely gets more than 3-4 toys out a day so I leave her to it. I have started training her to put her toys in the box in the evening :)

5. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

we have toys EVERYWHERE....Bella has her favorites of course....but she goes for different ones at different times. I have a 3 gallon bucket that is her "toy bucket" and pick everything up from time to time and toss them in there...she often goes and rummages around until she finds which one she wants, takes it out, hops up on the couch and settles in for a good chew. She has such a variety - that I don't worry much about it.

sometimes she brings one to bed with her, but it's hardly ever a squeaky one. ;) She's pretty good about lights out means sleep...but sometimes she'll chew on something for a bit before she falls asleep.

I don't have 2 legged children...so all my mess is from my husband and 4-legged kids. ;D I'm not trying to win any decorating contests....so I don't mind there being toys everywhere....it's just part of life on a farm with dogs.... In my opinion anyway. ;D

Usually - if Bella is wound up...it's not toy related - it's husband or big sister dog related...and a quick settle down break in her crate does the trick. She'll be 5 months old tomorrow. ::)

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I put all toys away except for two - and rotate them so that they are 'fresh'

No toys in snoozy room (front room) we go in there at 8pm

:)

7. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

I'm afraid we have toys everywhere! And still she wants my slippers!

8. Sally C

Sally C Registered Users

[quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9809.msg142174#msg142174 date=1423261569]
    [/quote]

haha! ;D

9. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9809.msg142174#msg142174 date=1423261569]
    [/quote]

Yep and my socks... Keys.... Post.... Dinner ;D

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

We've got chew toys around the house all the time....footballs and a few stinky rope toys are 'outside' toys only...and then dummy's,tennis balls ,and his fabric Frisbees are all 'walk' toys ......I've been so lucky ,Dexter never did any massage chewing damage to household items...he did used to nick tea towels and laundry off the line though ::)

11. PaigeEmily

PaigeEmily Registered Users

I think what you're doing is great! I have 2 Nylabones that are always out should that need to chew occur and my girl has a teddy (super strong fabric that is the only one that she's unable to tear apart! Amazing!) and a rubber tyre and ball to throw around. She used to have ropes but shredded them and pulls the fluff off tennis balls so they're reserved for walks!

She only has her durable toys out all the time and then when she starts getting bored and looking for things to do to annoy me it's time to bring out her toy box! She has a bunch of toys or all varieties. Kong toys (not as strong for a lab as you think they are but the food fillers are great!), teddies or all varieties (she's a real teddy dog but she can break them if left with them for too long), some chewy toys, balls and a tug toy. I let her choose which one she wants to play with and then she puts it back and takes a new one when she's finished with it. Then when it's time to calm down then all toys go away except the ones she can chew on.

Dogs are like kids and if kids have the same toys lying around all the time then they can get bored of them and dogs are the same. If the toy is always there then why do they need to play with it because it's not going anywhere. Some dogs are fine playing with the same toys but others do get bored so it's just trial and error until you really know what works.

It's great that you have a separate room for quiet time! It'll take time for the dog to get used to it probably but I think it'll be so worth it when they're grown up and nice and calm in that room. It'll also save you from having that dog that keeps putting their ball on visitors knees! ;D