What puppy food is everyone using?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Teresa999, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Teresa999

Teresa999 Registered Users

George is 9 weeks old at the moment and is on 4 meals a day. He's currently on Beta Puppy because that's what the breeder had him on. It's not a large breed version though - do you think that he should be on 'large breed'? What do other people feed theirs? He's from working stock, so will be a bit smaller and slimmer than some labradors.
    Thanks

2. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

I've been using Purina Pro Plan for large puppies. Its what the breeder was using but I also bought a too larger bag then I realised so kept it....
    I've heard its important to have the food specified as for large breed and puppies. But if you are going to change foods you should do it gradually... like over 10days maybe...
    I bought Acana brand... but now I question the amount of protein etc in relation to quickness of growth of Labs...

3. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Ziggy is on James Welbeloved puppy turkey and rice. He seems to be doing fine on it.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

.Mollie is on Royal Canin Maxi Junior :)

5. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

Fromm family large breed puppy.
    Nelson seem to grow after eating it.
    He licks the bowl clean every time.
    Smells ok (the food, not Nelson).
    Am even considering trying a couple of pieces myself.

6. Spencerboy

Spencerboy Registered Users

Have my pups on Orijen large breed puppy. They love it and it's a high quality food here in the states. Made in Canada.

7. BarbWireBlondie

BarbWireBlondie Registered Users

Alex was on Eukanuba large breed puppy food, as this is what the breeder had him on. Unfortunately, he suffered terrible diarrhoea and smelly farts on this, so we moved him on to Carnilove puppy. Carnilove puppy is too rich for his tummy, so we now give him Skinners field and trial puppy, duck and rice. Since moving him on to Skinners, his poop has become firmer and his farts aren't as smelly.

8. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Red is on Symply Puppy Large Breed.

9. Georgieboy

Georgieboy Registered Users

We use Fromm Large Breed Puppy as well and he seems to really like it.

10. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Harley was on Royal Canin Maxi Junior for 8 1/2 months and then Miss Picky Pants became so fussy that we decided to change to Hills Large Puppy. We are limited on choice where I live. She gets the Hills with some Hills I/D tinned food to entice her. She has been very healthy all along and she has a beautiful, glossy coat - if she was a black or chocolate lab she would be so shiny. It is harder to see from afar with the yellow coat.

11. Deezes

Deezes Registered Users

Diesel is 13 weeks old and eating TLC That is what the breeder was using

12. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ella was on Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Junior with her breeder so we kept her on that. She's now on the adult version (she's nearly 2 1/2) and it still seems to suit her.

I think as long as you're using a premium brand made for larger breeds, and your dog seems happy, you can't go too wrong.

13. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Mine is on Taste of the Wild High Prairie Bison Puppy Formula. Grain free and not too expensive!

14. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

Mabel is on nutriment raw food, she was on nutriment puppy, but we've switched her onto the adult version as recommended by our vet.

15. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

We went through so many different kibbles when Bailey was a pup - started on Beta which was what the breeder used. Swapped eventually to Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon blend, but Bailey was never a kibble enthusiast - we swapped to raw when he was a year old and he will now generally eat every scrap in his bowl - usually minced chicken with either peas, sweetcorn, sweet potato, Brussel sprouts or whatever veg we have with our meals - or sometimes as a rare treat a spoonful of baked beans. Although his absolute favourite meal is roast chicken, mix of vegetables, one roast potato and one spoon of mash potato and gravy - gone in milliseconds with at least two minutes chasing the bowl around the kitchen licking it over and over again!

16. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We used Blue Wilderness Chicken and Rice Large Breed Puppy. We went to the Chicken and Rice because our other Lab seems to have some food allergies and the chicken rice formulas seem to work well for her. We prefer that both dogs eat the same food since they may eat each others at some point. This way we could transition to one adult food for both when Cooper reached one year. Cooper had been on ProPlan Chicken and Rice at the breeders. All of our labs have had no issues changing food, and are not picky eaters, but Tilly seems to get some itchy skin conditions on some foods so we stay with what seems to work best.

17. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Choosing a puppy food is quite a complex business with so many brands to choose from and so many claims made by the manufacturers. Puppy food is balanced with all the protein, minerals, kcals etc. that they need to fuel their healthy growth. Couple of points to remember are that the food should contain at least 22% protein (as per regulations in USA - most countries don't have any legal requirement)and the best source is meat. Many puppy foods contain a higher level than 22%. There are numerous scientific studies that suggest that large breed puppies are best raised on a diet specifically produced for large breeders as they have a slightly reduced level of calcium - large breed dogs that consume too much dietary calcium are at increased risk of developing skeletal disease. The excess calcium does not affect growth rate but has a negative impact on developing bones.

I would avoid a food that is for 'suitable for all ages' as I do question how it can be formulated when the nutritional needs of a 3 month old puppy are hugely different from an adult 7 year old dog.

18. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

Is puppy food ok to have a lot of protein?

19. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

We used Royal Canin but it made puppy flake so we switched to Acana large breed puppy and he's fine on it. It's made by the same people as Orijen but slightly cheaper.

20. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We had Quinn on Fromm Large Breed Puppy until 13-14months. We were very happy with it, and the company had great customer service.