What to do now!????Arghhhh :/

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by stylie, Nov 25, 2013.

1. stylie

stylie Registered Users

Hello there all you Lab owners...
    We have a 14 month old Female Lab called Aggie....She went through a 'naughty stage ' as im sure they all do and we thought we had sorted that, well we have just had our hallway decorated and new carpet (stairs) i came home to find she had decided to start 'eating' the carpet last week now to day some how she had un catched the stair gate and had chewed the mail along with some of the wallpaper, i dont know what to do im so cross...she has lots of toys and kongs, wobblers to keep her occupied while i am at work, so any tips would be great, we have a dog walker that takes her out for 3 hours twice a week and we then do the rest we also have a 5 year old Bichon who is the most well behaved dog ever.
    One very cross/helpless Lab owner :(
    xx

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: What to do now!????Arghhhh :/

Oh dear!
    Poor you after all your decoration efforts.
    Was Aggie crated when she was younger? Must admit I would be thinking of crating or confining to a smaller area that you could be sure she was not getting to anything vulnerable.
    I guess she is reacting to something new.
    Hope someone else comes along with some ideas on this too.

jac

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How frustrating......

I guess I would say that she is most likely doing it out of boredom. While a Bichon is bred to be am at-home, sit-on-your-lap dog, a Labrador is bred to be occupied and working (even if from show stock they still have this heritage).

Would you tell us a bit more about her daily routine? :)

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I feel your pain...my 15 month old is a terror at getting after things while we are gone. Mostly for us it's food items, though, and he hasn't been destructive to the furniture or carpets, etc.

Is crating an option? I would think that once she's figured out how to open the gate she'll do it again, so likely you are going to have to find another option for when you are gone.

You might have to add some more walks or training to keep her occupied? As Rachel says, give us some more info about her typical routines and maybe we can be more specific on suggestions.