What's happened to his dew claw?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Michael Matthews, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Don't worry, it will grow back fine. I'm sure it does hurt quite a bit but this will improve every day.

It's not unusual for dogs to pull off a claw. Better that than have the claw firmly stay put and having the dog end up with a toe injury. Think of it as a fail safe mechanism...

2. Michael Matthews

Michael Matthews Registered Users

[​IMG] This is what we're looking like today. Should I be happy or worried with that?

Right next to my finger there seems to be a bit of nail that's left over. What do you guys think?

3. Michael Matthews

Also, he's not eating his normal kibble (I think because he's in pain) but he's all over boiled chicken. Should I just give him whatever he wants whilst he's in pain?

4. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

A couple of months ago Monty split one of his claws (equivalent of our little finger I suppose) Yet initially you could see nothing at all. His limp was tremendous - literally not putting any weight on it when it was at it's worse. He howled when the vet identified the source of the problem.

We were mighty pleased as the amount of pain / lameness he showed, we thought it was a bad ED flare up - so a split claw, although not great was a relief. He was on tramadol for 48 hours, stopped limping in 4-5 days, the the cracked bit finally broke off, and now all looks as good as new.

Give him whatever he wants for a day or so as he's probably feeling pretty miserable.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It looks pretty normal to me. The quick will dry up and a new nail will grow in. I wouldn't worry about the bit of nail that's left, unless it starts to look inflamed. It will probably get pushed out by the new nail. Obviously, if you're in any doubt, a trip to the vet is a good idea.

6. Michael Matthews

Thanks guys. Just wanted to double check. I really appreciate the help. Hate seeing him like this. He's just dead sulky around the house. When we go out though, you wouldn't know anything had happened.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Looks ok to me. Let nature take its course.

Try not to touch it or handle his foot unecessarily. It hurts a lot and he might start to resent you going near it.

I'd indulge him with his food while he's feeling bad :)

Michael Matthews likes this.
  8. Michael Matthews

So, you know how he wasn't eating his food. Well, tonight he ate scrambled egg whilst I was at work and when I got back, I fed him his kibble out of my hand and he ate a full portion of it

I really feel like I have no idea what I'm doing anymore but I just figured as long as it gets some food down him I'll go for it.