When did you start looking for your next breeder?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Emily, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Emily

Emily Registered Users

When did you start researching for your next puppy?

Ella is about to turn 3 and I don't think I'd consider another puppy, all things going well, until she's about 8. However, I am considering the possibility of looking at a different breed (staying within gundogs - I've been doing a little research into Tollers) or I might stick with Labs.

I'm wondering how soon I should really start looking into/starting conversations with possible breeders and potentially show my interest in a future litter.

2. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

We always wanted a second (Spaniel), and have put it off till now. Monty is 3.5yrs and new pup will be collected in 7 weeks...! God help us!

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I've been researching breeders for nearly a year now :) Next pup may be a Lab but then again possibly not :confused:, but it will be a girl :) . Timing is important to ensure that I have the time to devote to puppy rearing so it will another few months before I make any firm decisions. Jen's breeder will hopefully have a litter mid-late summer so it will be tempting to have one of her pups, even with all the travelling to collect.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I have started looking already for a pup possibly in the next 2 years I feel no urgency this time. Looked at a few breeders and planning a big day out at crufts next year. I know what I want not quite seen it yet.:)

5. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I casually look all the time (and have been for a year), and some of the breeders on my short list would have me waiting a year, and even longer if I want a specific colour/gender! I also toy with the idea of going an older rescue lab when the time is right and skip young puppy stage, and that can take a long time as well, waiting for the right fit with existing dog, etc.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We looked for about a year. One of the breeders we thought we would go to, ended up with no pups because the mating did not take, so we had to keep looking.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Took me about 6 months to find Betsy - but it was a very intense six months. :D I got lucky, I think - the breeder I would have chosen as my first choice had planned a mating. But I'd have waited a year if that were necessary.

Getting a new pup when first pup is 3 is perfect, I think. Pup No1 is grown up, but still young enough to enjoy an energetic companion for many years....

I wouldn't wait until pup No1 is 8 - that gives you a dog heading into its senior years, and a young dog together. I'm sure lots of people make it work, but I'd rather do mad hooligans together, then a slower pace for all....rather than try to match a senior with a puppy.

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It's really nice having an older dog with a young pup and also having dogs young together each brings different thing to the house. Having my sorted old boy with my silly young pup gave the youngster such confidence. Having the 2 youngsters was hillarious most of the time but very just busy. Thing is if you understand your dogs and choose your pup carefully you can manage most things.

Atemas and selina27 like this.
  9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Hmm, I can see exactly why you say that, and it does make sense.

My thinking had been that Ella would be retired from working (obedience and any other competitive sports we try) so I'd have more time to focus on training a new puppy. I honestly don't think I have the time to put into two dogs at the moment (with work, OH and the toddler).

Maybe I need to revisit my time frame a little o_O

In the meantime, I think there are a couple of Tollers entered in the obedience trial we're going to this weekend so I might have to pop over and say hello :D

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Tollers are lovely - I know several. Very sweet dogs, very different to labs though!

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I started looking for a new puppy when Poppy was about four and a half, and eventually got the puppy I wanted six months later. I would say that five years difference is pretty good - Poppy is steady as a rock in her training, but still fit and healthy enough to be able to deal with a rambunctious puppy / young dog. I would say anywhere between two/three and eight years would work well for getting a second dog, depending on the dynamics you are looking for.

Previously I had two male dogs, just two and a half years apart in age. They were very bonded, and never had a cross word with each other. The older dog was clearly the boss though. Then after one of them died (at 15!!) we got Poppy when Bones was 12 years old - I would never do that again, but it was a window of opportunity that we couldn't pass up, as OH was home for six months... It was hard for Bones, though he was so very sweet with the puppy.

12. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ooh, I'd love to know what you mean by this. The trouble I have is that I've spoken to a number of Toller owners but I struggle to get an objective perspective because they're obviously totally in love with their dog and the breed.

Karen likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Well... I have one little female in my training group. She is quite tiny, and really looks like a little fox! Very sensitive, clever, adorable really. She works very nicely, very thoughtful and considered, and I would say from a retrieving point of view that she is not as keen as the labradors. She is less exuberant generally in her personality, in comparison to other retrieving breeds.

Then I have a good friend (a fellow trainer), who has a male stud Toller the same age as Poppy. He is a dual champion, both show and work. A super dog, very handsome, outgoing, nice-tempered. She also has his son, who is the same age as Merlin and so we are in the same training group. He is a great little dog, much more serious and hard-working than my Merlin :D:D, and I think has a great future ahead of him.

Generally speaking I think Tollers are more complicated than labradors. I like them a lot, they are a nice size with a good temperament, but I do think it is very important that they have a job to do, as they are a highly intelligent breed.

14. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Thanks @Karen I really appreciate the detailed reply. I think I had a bit of a "phew" moment as I read it because it matches my understanding of the breed, with my research to date. Whether or not this turns out to be the right breed for me in the end doesn't really matter but I do think it's important that I get a good idea of the breed.

Karen likes this.
  15. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

@Emily Tollers are a lovely breed but you may need to get used to the 'Toller scream' when they are excited :) . I have friends with a beautiful Toller girl and it's one of the things that all potential owners should be made aware of :) Tollers were on my list sometime ago but not a breed for me

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I now it's different but I looked for about 2 years for a rescue dog, hmmm... that went well for us :D Hattie is almost 11 years old so there is no way I would get a puppy but I am looking and have breeders bookmarked for future reference. I have been researching my maybe next breed of puppy for about 18 months but I doubt it will be a Labrador :)

We got Charlie when Hattie was about 5 years old which was perfect. @Emily I would think 8 years is perfectly acceptable age to introduce a puppy so long as she is still fit and healthy there shouldn't be a problem. Hattie has far more energy than any dogs I know, age is but a number :) xx

17. QuinnM15

ohhh what have you got your eye on??

charlie likes this.
  18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have my eye on a Hungarian Vizsla (smooth coated) x

19. QuinnM15

Oh they are high on our list as well!! They are our next top after labs...Quinn LOVES playing with Vizslas. They are very high energy, but called Velcro dogs because they love their humans so much. We know quite a few, all great dogs! good luck!

charlie likes this.
  20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Great minds!! I don't know anyone that owns one which would be handy. From reading about them I understand they are the easiest of the HPR group to train, which is good for me :rolleyes: Of course it has to be right right breed as I don't want to end up with the wrong dog. It will be a good few years yet but always best to be informed :) x

QuinnM15 likes this.