When did you start looking for your next breeder?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Emily, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

My colleague has a Vizsla, aged one, and he's a real handful. Hugely energetic and lively, pulls like a steam train on the lead, not settled in the car, jumps a lot. He's beautiful and she adores him but there's lots she won't do with him and places she won't go with him owing to his behaviour. She doesn't trust him with children or bikes and he does run off.
    When I've been over to her house and he hasn't had attention he's jumped all over me repeatedly.

He was very good at night from the outset and pretty good with toilet training.

In his defence I think she's been lackadaisical with training and doesn't do anything to stimulate his mind.
    So I imagine it could be a different story with consistent and committed training. But I think they're a bit flighty and apparently they can be anxious, according to my colleague.

However @charlie, if anyone can work their magic, it's you!

charlie likes this.
  2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It does depend on the practicalities....but I do not find it is twice as much work.

I tend to train in group classes where there is a less advanced class followed by a more advanced class - perfect. One dog out, one dog in the car, each do a class each.

When I go for 121s with trainers, I just book two back to back (for each dog) and I only travel once....same with buddy training etc.

I also do holidays, week long training, and I find Betsy is wiped out half way through the first week - wimpy dog that she is...so I get Charlie out, etc.

Then, I do weekend workshops, take both dogs and leave Charlie in the car when I know the retrieving planned would blow his mind but Betsy will cope well and so on.

So I'd say, if anything, I make more of my training time with two dogs, not less.

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

@charlie I'm working with 2 young Vizslas at the moment (different clients) and I'm a huge fan :) . Today's pup has stolen my heart and he's only just 10 weeks old. They have a reputation of being 'sensitive' in training but that relates to harsh methods. They seem to thrive on positive reward based methods so keep those breeders at the ready for your next pup

charlie likes this.
  4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Oh I love Vizslas! They’re on my list too!

Top of my list is Weimaraners! I adore them:inlove: I have heard they can be a bit of a handful though!

charlie likes this.
  5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I had one in a couple of classes, a lovely, dopey dog, but the eyes *shudders* I couldn't live with one, their eyes terrify me.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  6. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh yes, I have heard the scream :eek: But it's ok because mine wouldn't do it ;):D

Also, I probably should have mentioned that one of my reasons for waiting a few years is because we have a 2 year old son and I definitely think it would be good to wait until he's a bit older before introducing a puppy.

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I’ve had a pup with a 15 month old, a three year old a four year old and a five year old (all the same adult dog lol)

All ages have been good - but different. Tatze is now very laid back and can only goaded into play two or three times a day. When she was 15 months I had to divide the room and separate them quite often due to over-playing.

Given a choice I would get a new pup when the older dog was three years old. A good role model but also up for lots of play :)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh my word... we did water training in our young dog group yesterday. For the very first time, I heard the Toller 'scream of excitement'... :eek::eek::eek:

Jojo83 and SwampDonkey like this.
  9. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

In your dreams :p:p:D:D so be prepared

10. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We have one in our neighbourhood and he is beautiful...once he jumped over Quinn like a horse over a jump...she was like :eek:

11. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Oops...above was meant for @JenBainbridge !

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Not sure about that :eek: but thank you :) x

@Jojo83 That's good to know, thank you, I will be keeping those breeders at the ready ;) x

13. sabri.1996

sabri.1996 Registered Users

I´m waiting for another pup now, I had a dog with 13 years, I´m a little afraid of her reaction because is a little afraid of anything... but I ahve hope that it will be fine she it's not agressive if she can run away she run... When the time comes and the new puppy grow and I start to think in another puppy it will be very difficult to choose the breed but I'm getting in love with australian sheperds so it could be a option, or another lab