When to neuter?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Mountaindogs, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Mountaindogs

Mountaindogs Registered Users

I have a 9 month old labrador puppy. I have only had German shepherds for most of my life and still have 2 shepherds as well. Shepherd people seem pretty set on not neutering before 2 but my puppy's breeder recommended age 1.

I am trying to plan the neuter in conjunction with Xrays for OFA (either prelims or final) while he is under anasthesia.

I have an intact male shepherd who is an adult and so far they are getting along famously. But it did cross my mind that neutering the lab at 1 might be less risky than waiting until 2 to possibly avoid conflict between my boys. My shepherd is a pretty sociable, peacable guy who has lots of dog friends of both sexes.

So my plan is to do OFA prelims at age 1 and again at 2 for finals (because he is a service dog prospect). At which time would you suggest I neuter him?

He does still sprinkle a bit of pee when very excited and I wonder if neutering might have any impact on that, too.

Any input appreciated!

Jade likes this.
  2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I really would not recommend neutering at all for male dogs.

The evidence now is (IMO) overwhelming - from an increase in various cancers, to an increase in auto-immune disease, joint and hip issues and behavioural problems. Unless you have a very clear positive reason to neuter (like a behavioural or health issue already existing which would be solved by neutering) then I really can't see a reason to recommend neutering at all, particularly a male dog. (Females unfortunately have pyometra to deal with, which can complicate the decision.)

Here is a video introducing the issue, by a knowledgeable vet:

Another video from another vet:

A great list of research into many of the side effects of neutering: https://www.avidog.com/research-on-the-effects-of-spaying-and-neutering/

Perhaps, in the future, your two male dogs may not get along. But perhaps they will get along fine - many intact males do. Neutering because something might possibly happen in the future between them - when there are many disadvantages which WILL happen, if you do neuter - seems a bit misguided.

As for sprinkling pee, neutering will have no effect on that...

If you absolutely MUST neuter him for service dog reasons or other reasons, research shows that the longer the dog remains intact for, the greater the benefits because the longer the body is exposed to those hormones. So - as late as possible, would be my suggestion.

lucy@labforumHQ likes this.
  3. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

In the U.S. we spay/neuter our pets. It is seriously frowned upon if your pet is intact. And if you don't you'll never be able to board your lab. But as Jo says wait until your lab is fully mature. Upon our vet recommendation we got ours done at 15 months. We saw no change in personality. He still marks; he still has dogs he likes and doesn't like. So it goes.

4. Mountaindogs

Thanks Jo- I am actually aware of the research supporting not neutering. That's actually why I haven't neutered the my male shepherd, as he is not a breeding prospect. He is pretty social with other dogs for an intact male shepherd, and him being intact has just not been a problem to speak of.

I don't feel I have to neuter the lab to be a SD, there's nothing legal to support that and I don't care what people think. I doubt it would cause any problematic issue with him working.

Boarding is not an issue for us. #1, I actually own a small boarding kennel and I do board intact animals--though not bitches in heat. #2, my own dogs stay home with a pet sitter if they are not with me but if the lab makes it as a service dog he would be with me almost all the time so if I am away, so would he be. My twelve year old retired service dog has never been boarded in her whole life.

When I ask if the neutering might impact the excited peeing- I meant more along the lines of might the removal of the hormones impact how his stuff down there develops. If that makes sense. Not that neutering in and of itself would effect the excited peeing. Castrating male goats impacts the development of their urinary system.

So mostly I worry that the boys could fight one day.

5. Mountaindogs

Thanks again for the links, I found some studies I hadn't seen before. For now I am convinced...the boys get along so well right now.

I do want to add a female GSD at some point and worry about her going thru a heat with two intact males. I have lots of sturdy kennels and even a separate building so i know I have the facilities to prevent an accidental breeding.

But like you said, it's something in the future that is uncertain. I don't even know when I'll add another dog.

6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

@AlphaDog this is simply not true. Many of the studies listed above were carried out in the US.

Puppy Culture's spay and neutering booklet (which advises not to neuter the majority of dogs) was written by Jane Killion - a US breeder of bull terriers who created Puppy Culture: https://shoppuppyculture.com/collections/books-1/products/puppy-culture-spay-neuter-booklet

Avidog is an organisation run by Dr Gayle Watkins - a US-based breeder of golden retrievers - and she recommends not neutering unless there is a specific reason and has compiled the list of links I gave above: https://www.avidog.com/research-on-the-effects-of-spaying-and-neutering/

If you think that 'everyone neuters in the US' and are still under the knee-jerk assumption that it is the 'right' thing to do, then you're exactly the person who needs to read all the studies and learn that this simply isn't the case any longer.

7. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

If you choose to have an intact male you restrict your options to public access. For me, it was the 'right' thing to do.

8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

In our county in Oregon it cost quite a bit more to license a non neutered pet, but I tend to agree with Jo, that there is not a driving reason to neuter a male dog. I've seen lots of intact males that get along, but certainly not all do. With females there is the nuisance of being in heat twice a year and the possibility of an unplanned pregnancy, in addition to the possible health complications. Lots of day care places require that adult dogs be neutered, but not all do. We use a gun dog boarding kennel that allows un-neutered dogs, but if they don't get along, they don't get play time in the field with the other dogs.

Edp likes this.
  9. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I have always had multiple intact male dogs, have only ever neutered on medical grounds and they've all got along with no problem.
    I have however just booked my healthy 2yr old Lab in to be done as I can foresee problems developing with the older dog. Ash has suddenly found his hormones, tries to hump the cat and is pushing his luck with Lucan who at nearly 10 and with health problems really doesn't need it. He's a very tolerant dog but I can see the potential for a major fight breaking out if Ash pushes too far. So for the sake of a peaceful household Ash will be losing his crown jewels next month.

I think every situation is different, you need to read your own dog's behaviour and do what you're comfortable with.

10. Mountaindogs

What "public access" is restricted? I know some dog parks and some boarding kennels don't allow them, but I don't use either of those things

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It is a very personal choice and there is too much bullying that goes on about neutering.

Jade likes this.
  12. Jade

Jade Registered Users

I guess it's a personal choice and a matter of what you believe is the right thing to do. I've had dogs and cats all my life. I've always had my pets neutered by the age of 6 months . I always will.

edzbird likes this.