When to spay

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jacqueline Mckendrick, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Jacqueline Mckendrick

Jacqueline Mckendrick Penny and me

Penny is 6months and i just need some views on whether i should let her have one season before getting her spayed. I have heard mixed views about health benefits and such. I want to do whats best for her. She is a big healthy girl and full of energy. I know i want her spayed but when to do it is the issue. Thanks in advance for any advice

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It is a difficult one as there's little evidence out there to tell us definitively what is "best". I had Willow spayed at 6.5 months, before her first season. Luna has had one season and I'm unsure yet whether or not I will have her spayed; it depends on the practicality of it, having an entire male in the house. In any event, I wouldn't have a bitch spayed before her first season again. It doesn't mean that this is the right choice for everyone, but it's the choice I'm happy with at this time. Willow's anxiety issues probably aren't linked to her being spayed before her first season, but I'll never know for sure if there was any impact, and so it will always be niggling in the back of my mind.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

My vet advised us to let Harley have a season then spay her which we did. There are lots of mixed messages out there, but I went with my vets recommendation.

4. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

We had Harley spayed at just over 7 months. Our vet was happy with waiting for one season but we were really paranoid about Harley getting pregnant. During the day she is in a very large closed off back yard but in our country it is very common for dogs to be left entire (not for health reasons) and we could see our future with 12 lab x JRT dogs.
    I was able to schedule some leave conveniently and we decided to have her done earlier than the 8 months recommended. We only had her ovaries removed. She bounced (literally) back very quickly, with no complications and we haven't noticed any change in her that wasn't expected as normal development.
    Good luck with your decision.

5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi, my Cassie is 19 months and has had two seasons. It was always my intention to spay after 2 seasons, I'm not really in any hurry. I don't find her seasons difficult to manage, she isn't problematic during that time and I'm fortunate in that I can manage her exercise so that she doesn't come in contact with entire dogs.
    But, after her first season she had the most awful phantom pregnancy which was worse than the season, and very upsetting. I'm currently monitoring her after her second season. So for that reason, and the risk of pyometra as she gets older, I will have her spayed in February. My vet advised me that it takes 14 weeks for the hormones to settle after a season, and then there is a two month window which is the optimum time to spay.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have had five bitches spayed, three before their first season and two afterwards, there was no discernable difference in their behaviour, the only difference was that the two spayed after their first season where a little incontinent at times when older.