When to start feeding puppy twice/day

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Krista, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Krista

Krista Registered Users

Hello everyone,

Our Chocolate Lab Finley just turned 4 months old. We currently feed her 3 times/day. I was wondering when everyone started to feed their puppies twice/day.
    I always love reading the great advice on here and looking forward to suggestions!

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Quinn is 6.5 months and still on 3 meals so interested to see the advice on this one!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

There's no need to go down to two meals a day if you don't want to. My two are nearly 22 months and still have three meals, and will continue to do so. I like the extra meal to break up the day for them :)

If you do want to change from three to two meals, then around 6 months is often advised. By this time, the pups should be more able to hold the greater volume of food from the meals without it upsetting their tummies. You could also try phasing the third meal out, by making it smaller each day, whilst increasing the other meals by the same amount.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

As per breeder, 21 weeks, started slowly at 20 weeks. At times of illness we went back to three and even four meals a day. Now Oban is getting meds at bedtime so a bit of food with some kefir then.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I started phasing out lunch for Juno at 4 months which was the advice of our breeder. I removed some of the lunch kibble and divided it into breakfast and dinner so the transition took around a month. When we had got to a small amount if kibble for lunch I just replaced it with a chew of some description so she gets something small at lunch, which is particularly helpful when we are out and want to stop for pub grub somewhere. :)

6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

mine are both on 3 meals a day, the last one being a small one just before bed. Age 12 and 2.

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We start two meals a day at 24 weeks with our pups gradually reducing the lunchtime meal. Eventually they get a filled bone at lunchtime (about 6g of soake, frozen kibble)

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We changed Harley at about 8/9 months as she has a very sensitive tummy. At nearly 3 years old we go back to 3 if she is poorly at all to help.
    I think it's personal preference really

9. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Mine are permanently on 3 meals a day. Do what suits you and your dog.:)

10. Krista

Krista Registered Users

Thank you everyone for your imput!