When to transition to slip lead?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lfm, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

hi all,

Mabel is now 18 weeks, and I was wondering when would be appropriate to transition her to a slip lead for walks etc, as I use them for my three big dogs, but I'm sure I've moved them too early, she's pretty small for her age, only 10/11kg. When did you all transition to a slip lead if you use them? Opinions hugely appreciated!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, the issue with a slip lead (other than the obvious, that they're not appropriate if you have a dog that pulls), is that they don't allow you to have any ID on them, so you'd be breaking the law in most places if you didn't also have a collar. And I don't like using a slip lead and a collar together - there seems no point, firstly, and, secondly, I always think it must be uncomfortable.

I use slip leads when training, when the dogs don't need to wear collars, but not on regular walks. The slip leads I have are limited, meaning they can't over-tighten. They're also wider than a regular rope slip, so more comfortable for the dog. I got them here: http://www.tuffstuff-ltd.co.uk/p/23/limited-slip-lead

I would never use a regular slip lead on a puppy - the fact they can tighten and put a lot of pressure on a very delicate windpipe is bad enough in an adult dog, but completely inappropriate and dangerous for a puppy.

Why do you want to use a slip lead at all?

My puppy got used to wearing a show lead (a fine slip lead) from a very young age, around 8 weeks. But, this is a very different thing indeed to going on walks with it, as she was wearing it only when training her show stack and, later, gaiting. It's never used outside of the show environment because, even though she has a brilliant walk to heel, she's still a puppy and can get distracted or over-excited by things and want to pull towards them. If she were on her slip, that would mean she'd choke herself.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I never really transitioned to a slip lead, but only use in gundog training, when I need to get the lead off quickly or I am worried about the collar catching on undergrowth. When I am walking in our field or paddock, I may slip one on as they are easy to pop into a pocket.
    As @snowbunny mentions, slip leads are not really a good idea for a dog which may lunge, as they tighten around the throat very quickly.
    Limited slips are OK, you just have to make sure they are not toooo limited.. as I did find myself stood sans dog, holding my limited slip lead cussing as said dog was galloping across the fields!!:eek:

4. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I use a limited slip for gundog training, in the garden and our field for training and occasionally when walking locally. Round here loads of people seem to use them and have no id on their dogs.

However I didn't start using it until Ripple was around 18 months and could walk reasonably well on a loose lead. I also have experience of not setting the limit correctly and finding myself holding the lead with no dog attached.

5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

However it is UK law that dogs must wear an identity disc with the name and address of owner.

SteffiS likes this.
  6. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Yes, I'm aware of that, it surprises me that so many people either don't know or ignore. The occasions when I use a slip lead when walking in public I am generally working on training, but I'm sure that probably doesn't excuse me either.

7. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

Thank you all for your help! I should've added that my dogs spend a lot of time off lead, and I am guilty of not using a tagged collar on occasion when in public but we have a lot of our own land where I let them roam and they're particularly useful for my two lurchers who both hunt rabbits. I'd never really considered using tagged collars for when we're out for 'proper walks' but I'm going to definitely get them now!

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I use a slip lead almost all the time for Sam , but he only has it on to cross from a car park to a wood , river or beach . I do have his collar on him if we are in an area not known to us but am guilty of not having his collar on when we are retrieving in the woods, for safety reasons . I didn't start using a slip lead until Sam was bomb proof on lead and didn't pull , which for us wasn't reached until he was about two years old !

Lfm likes this.
  9. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Fiona, why do you think this? I use this exact combination on Hattie, she is more than happy and walks on a loose limited slip lead :) She prefers a slip lead to a normal lead attached to her collar. I have her ID disc on her collar as per the law and because I want to if for any reason she was separated from me. I think around here I am the only person to know it's the law as I hardly see dogs with ID discs on which is annoying as I find a lot of loose dogs :rolleyes: xx

HollyandNala likes this.
  11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Just when I've tried it, the slip crosses over the collar, or catches on it. It might just be the combination of the lead and the collar I use, and is probably me putting my emotions on it, because it annoys me, so it must annoy them, too, right? :D

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Of course :D

The slip lead falls very loosely on Hattie so it doesn't catch on her collar. Sometimes if we are walking on a country road and I walk her close I have the lead shorter in my hand it can sometimes go above the collar, I just fix it but it doesn't annoy Hattie or me ;):D xx

snowbunny likes this.
  13. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I've had the same trouble when I've tried to use both as well. However if I intend to let Ripple off the lead in a public place I will always use the collar even if he is on the slip.

I had a run in one day with a man in our local park whose dog would not leave Ripple alone, he had no collar and the man was using a slip but couldn't catch his dog to put it on. I pointed out his dog should have a collar with identification and that might make him easier to catch. He very sternly said his was a working dog and didn't need a collar, I did say that as it wasn't working at the time, and also wasn't particularly obedient, that it did need a collar - but he told me I was incorrect.

14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I own a slip lead. Coco has never worn it. He will pull at some point on every walk. I keep it in my car in case I ever come across a stray dog!

15. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've never been all that keen on slip leads. We had a Lab-X who pulled a lot and we used a slip lead to try and stop her. One day she pulled so hard that she passed out. In the end we worked on her training and binned the lead.

16. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

This is why I use a Volhard collar. It can slip or it can be limited. It was the required collar for Jet's first obedience class years ago and it was given to us as part of the class fee. This class would not take dog's younger than 6 months old. It's always on the end of his leash and the snap and ring combination allows me to fasten the leash and collar around my waist when I let him off leash. He wears his flat collar as well and it has his tags on.

http://www.volhard.com/pages/the-volhard-training-collar.php

17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

But surely this is the same as a slip lead, and with a puppy or dog not already trained to walk at heel would function as a check/ choke collar, tightening round the neck if the dog pulls. There is nothing to limit how tight it pulls is there?

18. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Totally agree with you @Joy on the 'Volhard collar' - I can't see how it is limited if used accirding ti the instructions. It looks to be a choke collar, just not made of metal links. That it is approved by the Monks of Skete who train using e-collars says it all for me.

HollyandNala, SwampDonkey and Joy like this.
  19. Snowshoe

Take a closer look, if you clip to the stationary ring it can be limited.

20. Snowshoe

You can limit it if you want to, see my comment above. Mine actually is made of metal links, custom made for me out of an old metal choke collar. Oban was trained on a flat collar. Jet, who was trained as per class on the Volhard practically needed no collar, she just didn't pull. If anyone wanted to use this as I do, because of the ability to fasten it around yourself after taking it off, they could limit it, or they could fasten it to the flat collar, or they could have a floating ring put on their leash.