Whistle training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jay Z, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Jay Z

Jay Z Registered Users

So I'm still 7 weeks from getting my pup but was reading Total Recall and wanted to know what your all opinion is on how many pips of the whistle do you blow to get your dog to run back to ya. This sounds sill I'm sure all of you have different answers. But I want to use my dog for waterfowl hunting and probably taking him to a trainer so I don't want to use 2 pips if the trainer would use 2 pips to turn the dog. Is there a standard that gun dog trainers use. I hope this makes sense thanks for your response

2. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I think it's worth checking with your potential trainers what they will be using. I have just started gundog training and despite reading Total Recall and some gundog books I still managed to use the wrong whistle pips for Ripple :rolleyes:.

Mind you he's been very good at changing to what the trainer uses, and the trainer is also very patient with me as I am taking longer to adapt :).

selina27 likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Three or five pips is normal for recall.

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

As @snowbunny says. I use three pips for recall, two pips to turn and one pip to sit.

5. Jay Z

Jay Z Registered Users

Thanks all my first thought was 5 is to extensive but maybe not.