Whistles

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by KernowKate, Feb 4, 2013.

1. KernowKate

KernowKate Registered Users

Well my total Recall book arrived today! and iv'e just ordered a whistle, I ordered the Acme Gundog 210.5 pitch.

Iv'e never used a Dog whistle before, and just got home from our after tea walk on our Moors, where the wind was screaming like it often does up here, and I just wondered if there was much difference in the whistle pitches? and if one would be better than the other for a Dog to hear in a wild windy place where Mauser and I live?

Looking forward to reading the book, and training the little beasty!

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Whistles

Hi, I have been using an Acme 211.5 with Charlie and have been training him with Pippa's Total Recall since October. Don't really know about pitches as this is my first time using a whistle. Someone on here will definitely be able to tell us both about the pitches. Good luck. Helen :D

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I have both - the 210 one is higher pitched than the 211 one. I personally like the higher pitch one, but we went wrong with it before doing Total Recall so changed whistles. Doesn't really make much difference I think - ;D its how you use it that matter.

jac

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Jac, how long have you been doing Total Recall ? I feel I have been doing it forever :eek: H x

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Umm....I got the book as soon as it came out, but must say I gave up a bit at the stage where you need help in the garden :-[
    I found I just didn't have time to carry on - lack of daylight a big probem as I work 4 days.
    Trying to get back on track though maybe not following it strictly (sorry Pippa). Not been using my whistle but actually started again today and she's not forgotten! Had a jackpot treat in my pocket ;D she recalled well from sniffing in the woods, but no distractions like deer today. And then she wouldn't let me out her sight to test her again - typical!
    I admire your progress with Charlie, you have done so well, Helen, you should be justly proud ;D

jac

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Jac, really wish there were more hours in the day. Well done Lilly for not forgetting! Thank you for your lovely words. The end of this training seems so far away but we will get there.

I will probably be told off by Pippa for this but I just feel so sorry for Charlie never being allowed to be a 'real dog' in the sense of trotting off lead with Hattie, so for the last couple of weeks I have found a great well fenced, tree lined track that I have been able to let him off lead just to see how he behaves. He has been brilliant and NO running off. Infact there was an opening into a field with the dreaded hedgerow he went in and ran off about 100 yards (panic :eek:), I called "Charlie come" and they both shot back for a treat first time :D Only verbal calling NO whistle until the end of training. He now checks back to see where I am and even stops which he never did before so I feel we have a really great bond now as he is like velcro in the house and follows me EVERYWHERE! ;) I wish I had someone who was doing Total Recall to train with it would make it less lonely and very helpful. Keep up the good work with Lilly too. Helen x

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Helen,

The point in keeping Charlie on the lead was for his safety, because you felt you really couldn't be sure of getting him back. Apart from that, it is ok to let him off the lead, provided you don't use the new recall in situations you're not ready for. It sounds like you got on just fine. :D

A word of caution, don't let him get too far from you, don't walk in a straight line (keep changing direction) and carry some really brilliant rewards to give him for your verbal recall.

If you leave your whistle at home, you won't be tempted to use it when you cannot be sure of a good response.

It sounds as though your efforts are really paying off, and Charlie is becoming part of 'your team' instead of playing for himself.

Pippa

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Pippa,

I NEVER take my whistle with me and only ever use it to follow your Total Recall. I don't let him go too far 20 yards at most and I keep running away, when he catches up I run in the opposite direction, I do lots of those :eek: and now he looks back to keep an eye on me. Really good treats in pocket too. The only little thing is he is not that interested in his ball when we are not in the paddock where he is obssessed with it so I am working on that, doing a couple of retrieves off lead when not in the paddock then I leave it and try again further along. Also still working on dummy retrieving indoors so hopefully outside soon. This will be important for him as he does look like a 'busy' boy always on the lookout! Hattie keeps him in order too ;)

Thank you Pippa I thought I would be in hot water! ;) Helen

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly's whistle recalls were sharp as a tack this afternoon in our woods! ;D
    Even when she was well out of sight and i couldn't see her - gave a couple of peeps and thought I had blown it, but about 90secs later, there she was at full tilt coming to me :eek:
    This is only day 2 back on track, so feeling pleased. Being realistic though and going to try some of the calling away from interesting stuff in garden - we are having a doggy sleepover this weekend!
    (although, in actual fact, she recalled to me in the house with her whistle whilst sat by my daughter who was putting a new batch of cheesy bones into a tub - I think that probably fits with "calling away from something interesting" ;D )

jac

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Recall from possible dropped cheesy bones!!

Very impressive stuff :)

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Serious stuff Jac, good girl Lilly. Tomorrow we are doing Calling away from someone with food (chicken), now that will test Charlie's teeny brain ;) H x

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good luck for that one Helen!
    I think ours might have been luck. Lilly was primed yesterday as I used the cat-food reward (honestly?....YUK!) :-\
    I suppose, IF it works.......... LOL!

Let us know how it goes :)

jac

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

No luck involved just good training on your part:) Although I couldn't use cat food, yukky, I use tinned Pilchards as his jackpot treat, just put them in a plastic box and in my pocket works a treat!!! Charlie adores them ;) Will let you know how he gets on. H x