Why is a chocolate Lab a "chocolate Lab" but yellow or black is a "Lab"?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I've noticed a strange quirk of language both here on the Forum and out in the general interwebs: often when people talk about their Labrador who is chocolate, they will say, "My chocolate Lab..." whereas people with black or yellow dogs usually just say, "My Lab...". It happens with fox red and silver too, but as those colours are rarer, I don't see it as much.

So I'm curious: no matter what colour you have, what do you think of the "colour quirk"? Does it re-inforce any stereotypes about the different coloured dogs or the people who have them? How do you describe your dog and why?

I'll just say by way of explanation, I'm flopping around between a black and chocolate puppy for myself, so I've probably noticed this quirk more than anyone normal should. :D

selina27 and MF like this.
  2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hehehe, good observation.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Have noticed the same myself Emily . I just say I have a Labrador , I think I do anyway , now you`ve got me thinking of how many times I might say Black Lab !

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I say 'Black Lab' whenever I'm taking about Tatze - which is often :)

Bruer and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think it's all about the stereotypes. Everyone expects choccies to be stupid or badly behaved, so people are either using it as an excuse/explanation "My choccy Lab ate Great Aunt Mable's hat" or to dispel those stereotypes "My choccy Lab saved the lives of three hundred baby turtles" :)

6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Hmm, I refer to Xena equally as "my Lab" or my "little black Lab" - depends if somebody has specifically asked what I have. I do find it odd how people introduce their yellows as "fox red" - not a description I'd ever come across here. I'd never heard about chocolates being mad or stupid until joining the forum, either.

I was totally a blank slate when it came to choosing Xena, no preconceptions whatsoever. There were no choccies so I opted for black because I think it's a striking colour, but would have been equally happy with a yellow.

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Good theory! I know that's why I always said, "My Rottie" and not just "my dog". Either as the short cut to explain something that happened because of a stereotype ("The woman ran screaming across the street just because I was walking by with my Rottie.") or to combat a stereotype ("My Rottie's best friend is a chihuahua").

Did the Squidge save 300 baby turtles today, by the way? ;)

lucy@labforumHQ and Harley Quinn like this.
  8. Emily_BabbelHund

It's my impression that if you have a fox red, you are highly unlikely to describe your dog as being "yellow" (even if they technically are). Just like people with silvers don't call them "chocolate" (even if they -maybe- technically are).

I visited a very nice breeder last summer in Germany who insisted that she had four colours of Lab (which to my surprise did not include black):

yellow
    white
    fox red
    chocolate

She was the first Lab breeder I visited, so I was honestly confused because I thought all the yellows were yellow, just different shades and only her choccie girl was a separate colour. I was very staunchly (but in the most polite and German way) corrected. :D

9. Emily_BabbelHund

Whoops, that :( above after "black" was meant to be a colon, not a sad face. Can't seem to correct it.

10. snowbunny

Not yet, but it's still early :D

Next time, ask what colour they're registered as ;)

MF and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  11. snowbunny

Done :)

12. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I always say my black lab I think. Definitely when I was speaking to dog walkers/day care. I'm not sure why - I think just so they knew what to expect when he arrived.

OH really wanted a black lab. He had a cat growing up who was his best mate (he died back in 2014) called Bobby. He was black so I think that's why OH was so adamant he had to be black.

I was just so pleased he'd agreed to me getting a dog you could've brought me a turquoise lab and I wouldn't have questioned it :D

MF, Joy, Beanwood and 1 other person like this.
  13. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I say I have a golden Lab...it's not the technical registration, but it's descriptive, as he is half yellow/half fox red, and he is a lovely rich golden colour :) And while fox red is a yellow Lab, to me they are definitely different, especially the strongly coloured fox red.

I can see making a distinction between yellow and white as well...if someone cares strongly about having one or the other, from a breeder/selling standpoint.

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

What an interesting thread! :)

I hadn't really thought of it before, but I think you may have something there. I have found myself saying "Well he is doing well now, but it has taken time, bless him he is a chocolate" Equally though, I have said "Bless her, she is a bit sensitive, but not surprising as she is a black working lab"

At dog training when Benson locked himself in my car, ate a huge tupperbox of treats, no one was a bit surprised...they smiled sagely...ah! It's Benson, what a clown! He is a choc though....:D:D

15. Emily_BabbelHund

That's interesting! When I hear "golden Lab", I think people are referring to a Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever hybrid, like the kind often used for guide dogs.

Stacia likes this.
  16. Emily_BabbelHund

Hey, with that description, maybe I'm more of a "choccie" person. :D

The blacks always seem so dignified and elegant, where the choccies seem a bit goofier. But that's me buying into the stereotypes - as we ALL know, Benson (especially his magnificent tail) has many of his own dignified and elegant moments!

17. snowbunny

I always think it's people that don't know they're called "yellow" :D
    But, you're right, GR/Lab crosses are often called Golden Labs.

I can understand people saying "fox red", because it is such a dramatic shade, but I'd always call a Lab that's gold coloured "yellow". For breeding purposes, I'd definitely expect the correct term be used, with a description of the shade alongside. Maybe not if there is the dilution gene that causes the silver, charcoal and "true" white (as opposed to just pale yellow).

18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Elegant? Scooby (big & black) was also known as Cloot the Galoot - he was such a clumsy oaf, (and from this, Clootie Dumpling or The Cloot) -elegant he definitely wasn't :D

Bruer likes this.
  19. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

I often say Yellow and people look at me funny so I say Gold or Golden and they know what I mean, I get bored of trying to say its actually yellow :cwl:

20. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Are there myths that the different colours are different? If there is an old thread, maybe someone can link it? With our cats, one is marbled and the other spotted and although they share some ancestors they are very different Bengals in body shape, personality and even coat texture.