Why is my dog crying?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Michael Matthews, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Michael Matthews

Michael Matthews Registered Users

Hi all, I hope you can help. We have a 1 year old golden lab called James. We never have any trouble with him and we seem to have gotten through the wall chewing and tearing up the carpet when we're gone but now, all of a sudden, he keeps going upstairs (when we're home and when we go out), getting on our bed and crying. If we're out and we come home, he doesn't rush down to see us anymore, he just whines on the bed. The door isn't closed or anything and he has access to all of his toys and water and chews. He doesn't need the toilet either.

I can't figure it out. When I call him, he sometimes comes and sometimes just stays there and cries some more.

Is he just being a little bugger or are we going wrong somewhere? Please help.

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Not sure if this is helpful, but Quinn cries when she is up on our bed because she wants a lift down...it's a high bed so we lifted her for months...I'm not sure why sometimes she will jump off and other times cry and cry until someone comes to get her. Could it be he wants help to get off the bed?

3. Michael Matthews

I don't think so. He gets himself up and down no problem. Sometimes, it's like he's waiting for me to come up and do a hand gesture (permission maybe?!) before he'll get off. We make him wait for permission if he wants to get on the sofa or the bed if we're there but we've never made him wait to get off and he's always just gotten off as he pleases.

4. Michael Matthews

Also, I didn't mention, we just found out that my partner is pregnant (roughly 6 weeks but we're not sure) and it's started within that time. Could her scent have anything to do with it?

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I wonder if he is in pain somewhere. Even if you don't see a limp and toileting looks ok I think I'd Vet to see if there is a medical reason for such a change in behaviour. Checking hearing and vision would be things to do. It's also the kind of behaviour you might see with dementia, though you'd think he's way too young.

6. Michael Matthews

We've never noticed any signs that he's in pain but we'll take him the vet just to see. Can't be dementia, he remembers EVERYTHING. Just checked his hearing and vision and all seems to be well.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, just because James doesn't show pain doesn't mean he isn't in pain because dogs hide pain really well. I would be taking him to the vet for a check up. Maybe it's a hip or ED problem or something else or maybe it's nothing but at least it will put your mind at rest. Alternatively, could something have frightened James in your room so he's worried about getting off the bed? I hope he will be OK. x

8. Michael Matthews

He's feared of nothing. I think he's pretty sure that everybody and everything (except for the cat) is his best friend.

Looks like a trip to the vet is in order. He's about due a hip score anyway, I guess. I'll keep you updated.

Also, in case it may be related; we do get occasional sickness and his balls have partly gone black but the internet said that's normal.

charlie likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm glad you are taking him to the vet. Black balls is something I haven't heard of and it doesn't sound quite right to me, so mention that and the sickness too. Don't believe everything you read on the internet either. Good luck at the vets xx

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Shadow's change colour! They go from bright pink to blackish. It's very peculiar, but quite normal, for him at least! :D

SwampDonkey and charlie like this.
  11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have never seen a dogs balls up close and personal! :D You learn something new everyday. Thanks Fiona :) x

snowbunny likes this.
  12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Shadow doesn't give you much often. There're always out on display! :D

Bet you never thought that would be the "thing" you learnt.

drjs@5 likes this.
  13. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

When Oban's testicles went black he had a bacterial skin infection. It didn't seem to bother him though, not itchy or anything. He had black patches of skin in other places on his stomach and groin area as well. Vet said the infection commonly would present with small infected pustules but we never saw any. We did see small raised clumps of dead skin.

14. Tatti

Tatti Registered Users

I hope you find out what it is.

Tatti (our 16month old girl) cries for a number of reasons, maybe it's one of these:
    Attention- if I'm busy doing something and she wants some love she will lie down and cry
    Sickness- I've noticed she cries when she has a funny tummy so I think it might be her feeling a bit off colour
    My husband is in the bathroom - she doesn't seem to like this :) I don't blame her to be honest although I think it upsets us for different reasons!
    Lost toy- if her toy gets pushed under the table or to unit she will lie there and cry until you help her out
    She also occasionally cries when she is mid way through a kong, I think it's frustration that she can't wolf it down in one- it's a tough life.

I doubt it is the pregnancy thing although he will have probably figured out something is different - unless this is your second in the time you've had him I can't see that he will know what that change in scent means. I'm currently pregnant and tatti hasn't seemed to notice at all.

It could be a pain thing :( Let us know what the vet says.

b&blabs likes this.
  15. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Tatti sounds just like Quinn! Quinn cries in all those scenarios and also cries when her ball rolls of the bed/couch and she doesn't want to get up and get it herself :rolleyes:

Tatti likes this.
  16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Nope! :D

snowbunny likes this.
  17. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

Curious as to what the vet says, but could it be overtiredness? Bessie whines/cries when she's tired but can't quite fall asleep. Try going up and lying in bed with him; maybe he wants to sleep and wants you there? Just a thought.

18. Michael Matthews

Hi all. Sorry for the late reply.

So, we went to the vet and he just had a temperature so he's on paracetamol and some antacids (I think that's what it is) to settle his stomach. He's alone on a bland diet of just chicken and rice. He's perked up loads now but he's still doing it.
    In terms of the crying on the bed, the vet just reckoned he was trying to get attention from us. She said he's trying to get us round his little finger.

Apparently his balls are normal, just the pigment, which is a relief. I guess he's just been off because he's had a dicky tummy and a bit of a temperature.

Thank you all for your help

19. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

What sort of whining is it?

I ask because my three-year-old boy Pongo whines quite frequently. He started about a year or so ago. It is a high-pitched, fairly quiet, constant little whine-whine-whine that goes on for several minutes until he stops. I've watched it closely and I am quite sure it is not a sign of distress; I think it is often just as though he is doing what for a human would be "muttering to himself" or "singing under his breath". Sometimes he whines when he wants something (a walk, his dinner), and that is a louder, more insistent noise; but this is just when he is lying quietly, awake but not active.

I have to say it is annoying! My OH in particular gets very irritated by it, usually ends up snapping at him to shut up (which works for about 5 minutes :rolleyes:). I'm better at ignoring it.

Welcome to the forum!

20. Michael Matthews

Sounds very similar to our James but he doesn't do it when he's near us, just when he's upstairs on our bed on his own. It doesn't annoy anybody, just worries us a little. I'm assuming it's just that he wants attention or like you say, he's just muttering to himself. He's a really quiet dog and hardly ever makes any noise apart from the rare single bark when someone knocks on the door and this whining