Wild behaviour, how come?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Lisa, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

So... We were having a (relatively) good day today. Did some clicker training, a beautiful day so Simba could roam around the yard (sometimes with hubby, sometimes by himself), a couple walks, some snoozing in the house. A bad episode in the AM between dog and hubby, but things not too bad the rest of the day. We had friends over in the PM. We're watching TV. Dog happily chewing Kong. Refilled Kong. Happy chew. On the prowl looking for trouble, purloined a couple things, gave them up for treat. Prowling. Started being pushy with people, getting close to couch, head thrust into people, etc. Started "play biting" my friend's feet. Dog outside. I went out about 15 mins or so after. Dog is eating ant powder put down earlier (supposed to be safe around pets but I don't really want him eating it), so try to distract him. Well, he's in the mood now. Racing around, jumping at me, nipping (bloody hurt!), I'm turning away, he finally stops.
    So... I know he's a puppy. I know he's allowed energy. But how to manage this jumping, biting, craziness?? Really, I just want him to settle down at night and RELAX!!!

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Wild behaviour, how come?

Lisa,your glass is still always half full how you write,you always balance your worries bless you by telling us what's gone right before the slam dunk comes!

Dexter is a good boy,his mischief is really only youngster high jinks...but we do have the prowl......mid evening,in between his little walk and his decent bedtime run.....He goes really naughty,trying to get things he never bothers with during the day....ornaments,cushions,shoes,I don't have an answer,our solution is Chris goes and gives him a run round the garden,Dex can't be out there unsupervised as he can launch the wall now onto the golf course,a few retrieves,wrestle and tummy tickle ....but that can be for about 15 minutes a couple of times a night at least......Im hoping it will change when 1. He can have longer,strenuous walks and 2.he will just grow out of it.I can remember my mums dog when he was younger and we were visiting,dinner would be over and we'd all just want to chill but Derry's prowl would start.Dad used to take him out for a little walk....not far,just kid him by putting his lead on and going through the motions.....he's 4 now and settles great in the eve......but don't worry it has taken him to be 4......he's been like that for a good while...

Does it sound like 'Rent-a Ghost' in your house with Simba rattling his chains! X

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Ha! The good thing about the chain is we know where he is... We have laminate/tile/Lino on our main floor so we can hear him!

That prowl thing is exactly what Simba does! Tonight it was almost like he felt like he got cheated out of the fun with giving up the contraband so he kept looking for trouble. So, tasty toes - let's have a nibble!

I can't do the romp around the yard. He gets manic and then comes what happened tonight - lab running full throttle at you with glee in his eye... Body slam/jump/nip at hands, clothing, etc. he stops if you just ignore, but it can really hurt.

So don't know how to burn off his excess energy!

The bad episode was really bad this AM... A good chomp on my hubby's hand when he tried to take away purloined bag of peanuts, hubby slapping dog, dog retreating under table. Bad, bad, bad. Would love to sugar coat it but that's the way it happened. :-\

Hubs was upset. He did say on further reflection that he should have called Simba away for a treat, instead of going for the bag. And Simba didn't have he house line on as we hadn't got the chain yet.

4. Dexter

Oh Lisa,hindsight is a wonderful thing,don't feel too bad about it,you are all doing your best.sure it shakes you up though and p's you off as well ;)

How to deal with the prowl....without over stimulating hmmmm,others with more experience will have come across this ......

I really think he will grow out of it,it's just managing it in the meantime.Im thinking aloud here and not offering you anything practical so ill sign off,but just know I'm cheer-leading you on and I hope it's not causing too much stress or falling out in the house .he's really made his mark hasn't he!
    X

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

A body-slamming Labrador does pack a punch....!

I find that the thing that wears Obi out the most is a bout of obedience training. In the mornings he can be very whiny (despite having had a 40 minute walk) but if he has 5 mins of obedience this stops the whining and he settles down after. He just gets bored and has energy to burn and nowhere for it to go and the result is frustration. Giving his mind something to do for a little bit solves the problem.

I wonder if that would help with Simba. A decent block of training. It doesn't have to be formal. Teach him to roll over, touch your hand with his nose, spin in a circle, jump through a hoop, do a high five, weave through your legs, do a bow.... It is more controlled than a romp and more effective at wearing a doggie out :)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Does he like retrieving, Lisa? 15 minutes of dummy training might be just what he needs.

Not surprised your hubby slapped Simba after getting bitten. Not ideal of course, but he absolutely has to know that snapping, grabbing and biting are complete no-nos, otherwise you won't be able to keep him.

It sounds to me as though he has had little or no socialization training, so he just doesn't understand the rules yet. He's not a bad or vicious dog - he just has to understand what is acceptable and what is not. Also, he is a young, exuberant male dog, with lots of energy - a bit like a teenager who has never been taught any manners.

I think the key will be to find what gets him really enthusiastic. Is it retrieving, or does he enjoy searching games (you hide his toy in the garden and then he has to find it), or following a scent trail laid down previously. If you can engage his mind, and get him really keen on doing something, then you will find that he is calmer, and you can use that activity as a lever to encourage good behaviour. Don't despair - we are here to give support and help. You can do it - we've had tougher cases than Simba on this forum, who have come good! :D

7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Thanks all. The support I'm getting here is truly what keeps me persevering some days! I'be had the same thought about a retrieving game. However, he will go after a ball I throw, and *maybe* bring it back. If I throw it again it's like, "so what?" He'll just stand there looking at me, or he'll go get it and then romp around wanting me to play the "chase me" game. If I call him he'll ignore. So... I have Ppippa's book on order from the library but it's not coming anytime soon so am going to get it on my kindle. But any suggestions to help him see this could be a fun game?

8. VAl

VAl Registered Users

Chloe is nearly six months now, she is very good during the day, walkies, sleepies, eaties, playing etc., come six pm, all hell is let loose, she just goes potty, I have spoken to others who had the same problem, is it just labs or all dogs, she is our third lab and the others did not do this. Have started taking her another walk, but this would not be good in winter in the dark!!!

She is still barking for the sake of it, maybe attention not sure, ignore her now through teatime, and it works, however, have now bought a pet corrector, was not sure about this at all, works on thieving, if caught in the act, jumping up, and barking etc.,
    It is compressed air and makes a hissing sound like a goose.

We bought it then thought she really was not bad enough, however, today she was really naughty and would not shut up, so used it, one quick puff, into the air, not close to her, it worked. According to the forums on Amazon, many have said what a good idea it is and usually when used once or twice, they only have to see the tin, and they stop.!! ;D

After a while she started again, showed her the tin and she shut up.

She barks in top C!!!

I would be interested to know if anybody else has one of these, we do not intend to use it much, if at all, unless she just will not listen. She did not get upset, in fact, did not seem that bothered!!! Intelligent cookie, and does not know what NO means!!!

Thanks for all your input, this lab forum is marvellous, and so helpful and you begin to realise you are not alone and your pup is much the same as everyone elses.

Cheers
    Val

9. Dexter

Hi Val......Chloe sounds like she has had the devil in her today!

I don't know anything about the training aid you have mentioned ....but can relate to the evening silliness.we used to call it 'The Prowl'......wouldn't say he ran round mad but he would start pulling cushions off,trying to get ornaments ,ripping up magazines( if he got the chance ;)) vandalizing the downstairs toilet if the door was open.....things he would never dream of doing during the day.Chris used to take him out in the garden for a 10 minute play,run round or wrestle.....hide and seek was a popular distraction and he would generally settle down.......he doesn't do it now,but he does get a longer walk now he is older at 6 pm so I don't know whether to tell you he just 'grew out' of it or its the longer exercise that's had the effect.

10. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

My hubby is trying the water spray with Amy but can see her turning it into a game already.

11. VAl

VAl Registered Users

thank you, pet corrector does work, with the barking, however, she is improving every day, six months next week,had a good look in her mouth last night, poor lamb, quite sore little gums in places where teeth have come out. Went fussy with her Burns and spit out and spread it over the kitchen floor, know we shoud not do, but have added a little cooked mince and it is going down better. No probs until now.

we have a large back lawn but have made a large playpen area around back door, with patio and grass, so she does not go eating plants and twigs when not supervised, however, as with our other two labs,found the football and now taking her on big lawn, especially at sixish, this lets her run and then she is settling down, so you are right about the excerise, I am a bit confused about this five minute a month idea, she gets two walks a day of about thirty to forty minutes,we live near the beach, but not taken her there yet as too many loose dogs who we do not know and holidaymakers, but come September, that will be our next fun time.

Thanks for the input everyone

Val

12. Dexter

Ah Chloe sounds like a good girl generally,she will have loved having new people to play with....

Re 5 minute rule......i know this has been discussed before in the shortish time I have been a forum member.For us,we have basically stuck to it,not rigidly but certainly as a rule rather than a guideline....with Dexter being our first dog( and me basically being in charge and Im a real square ;) ) we have been very aware of potential hip and elbow problems.when you are reading about Labradors this seems to be something that is always much discussed and as we didn't know otherwise we took the decision to err on the side of caution.That said it hasn't been a drama if say we have bumped into a nice dog on a walk and Dexter had a romp which took him over his 'walk' allowance,but we would take it into consideration when deciding his walk type and route later that day.Very square I know :-[ I have to confess though that we have probably always gone over by about 10 minutes at least and now he is 11 months and by the book should be having 55 mins he probably has on average nearer to the 85 mins at least and that doesn't count what he gets in the house and garden......maybe I'm really a rebel and not that square ;D .At the end of the day,we have now got a strapping dog with a lot of energy and I want him to remain healthy so i have to get the balance right.Julie made a comment about a vet rolling his eyes a bit at the 5 minute rule when you have such a dog and I can see his point for sure.There are differing views on this I know but that's how we have tried to do it ,doing it for the first time x

13. VAl

VAl Registered Users

Well to be honest, our other two labs, one until nearly fifteen, the last one until thirteen , we did not have a clue about long or short walks. Both with us retired at the seaside, so plenty of beach exercise, neither had problems with hips although our Candy at nearly fifteen did have back leg trouble, but that was to be expected at her age.

I always thought Hip dysplasia was hereditary, also progressive retinal atrophy. A pedigree usually give a number for the parents.

Now with Rosie, our last lab, she started going blind at six and was completely blind at 9, with PRA, even though she had a clear reading from her parents on the pedigree and came from a reputable breeder. Our vet told us although the parent would not have it, they can be carriers, I think there is a blood test now which should sort this problem, I had four years of guiding her, she did so well, it is heartbreaking though. In the end she started losing her hearing and that was just too cruel to keep her, as her ears helped her a lot.

Talking to our vet with Chloe, he said home bred are probably a better bet, Chloe is, so fingers crossed she will be ok on both counts.

He also told us that he knew about the idea of little exercise, but he was not sure, as he thought they build up muscles during exercise which is a good thing, so you are right, differing views.

Always good to read all the posts on here. Thank you

Val