Will the biting ever stop...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Katrina Johnston, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Katrina Johnston

Katrina Johnston Registered Users

Hi there,

Our puppy Rufus is 16 weeks today. He's been quite bitey from day 1, but it seems to be getting worse rather than better. The biting is accompanied by growling and sometimes barking. It happens in the house and when I'm out for a walk with him too. It's mostly directed at me...but he has bitten my partner and parents who look after him when we're at work. Have taken advice from the vet and trainer, using clicker training and he's brilliant at picking up commands. When he does start biting we've tried the yelping (that seems to make things worse) so are now trying the "no!" And then ignoring /putting him in another room or his crate to calm down. My arms are like pin cushions and my clothes are all holes! Any advice is welcome, I'm hoping perseverance and time will improve things. Also looking for ideas for chews/chew toys that are suitable for a 16 week old puppy. He weighs around 14kg.

Thanks!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, it will stop.

Mollie was six months old before it stopped completely, but it did tail off before then.

Now she’s the gentlest dog ever :D

Katrina Johnston likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Filled frozen kongs are great. You can use some of his food allowance for them.

4. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

My Aspen is 5 months and a week today and he is still very bitey. He will bite when getting pet, will bite when playing, and will bite whenever he wants :rofl: I am just waiting for him to grow out of it! He is slowly losing his baby teeth and growing in adult teeth so luckily the biting doesn't hurt so much anymore and he is also learning bite inhibition so he doesn't bite as hard anymore.

Karen and Katrina Johnston like this.
  5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Kongs are fantastic to use as occupies their minds a lot. You can also get a wet tea towel and put it in the freezer as this will help his sore gums.
    It's partly because he is teething that he is so bitey, but also, dogs learn about everything through their mouth - whereas babies like to touch and grab things with their hands, pups do the same, but with their mouths.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

And, I'm no expert on babies, but don't even they put everything in their mouths?

Johnny Walker and Naya like this.
  7. Boogie

More so than pups!

My son liked to swallow slugs :rolleyes:

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

:tmi::puke:

Advocate or Milbemax? ;)

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

The bite too babies are mean

10. Boogie

Luckily they have no teeth!

:p

11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Do they not?
    family baby born with them and friends daughter a very nippy girl had them almost straight away and had a full set by 11 months.:devil:

12. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Yes the biting does stop - eventually! Teething will account for a lot of it and as adult teeth come in they at least do not hurt as much - we trained bite inhibition from the get go but it did not stop the crocopup stage but I think it may have reduced it slightly. Yelping or even saying No I found just excited Bailey even more - I found that withdrawing attention for a couple of seconds much more effective - if he hadn't calmed down when I re-engaged with play then into his crate for a nap (as he got older I removed myself from the room).

I much prefer puppies to babies! Puppies learn faster than babies - Bailey knows more in 19 months than my nephew does after 18 years :cwl:

pippa@labforumHQ and drjs@5 like this.
  13. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

My son was terrible with doing this, as a toddler he put a dog poo in his mouth :eek:.

edzbird and snowbunny like this.
  14. Katrina Johnston

Thanks everyone! I'm still a. It worried, been away for a family weekend and the pup was amazing no biting all weekend. The moment we get home and it's just me and him...he more or less attacks me, biting, pulling/ripping clothing, growling, barking. He clearly has a problem with me Help!!

15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

While you were away it was probably much more tiring mentally for Rufus because everything was new and I suspect that was why the biting eased. It will get better at home eventually, honestly. :)
    You mention that he bites you when you’re out on walks too. Why not abandon the idea of going for a walk and go out somewhere to play instead. He’ll probably love tug or fetch and it will occupy his mind. Or take him to sit outside shops or to an outdoor cafe after a short romp in the park - all the new sights and sounds will keep his mind too busy for biting!

selina27 and Katrina Johnston like this.
  16. Katrina Johnston

Thanks. I'm not confident letting him off lead just now by myself in public places. We've got a few catch ups with other dogs this week so hopefully things might improve. It's just so frustrating that it seems to be exclusively me this aggressive type behaviour is towards. I think he hates me!

17. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

No, he doesn't.:) He's just a little dog trying to make sense of life with humans. It will get better.

Karen and Katrina Johnston like this.
  18. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

@selina27 is absolutely right, animals don't have the need to hate - such destructive emotions are a human condition.

I can tell you that I really struggled with having Harley bite when she was younger and I completely get that you feel like it may never end. My hope for her has always been that she will be part of my psychology work and when the biting was at a peak I was devastated. I thought she would never be calm enough to be part of my work. But the same as with children, it is our responsibility as adults to find ways to communicate and understand effectively. So I put effort into not thinking that she thinks like me, or wants the same as me or understands me. And for a number of months it meant trying everything in my power to prevent her from having oppurtunities to do the actions I did not want or like. Harley is a calmer lab than most labs anyway but once I figured out how to channel her behaviour things really started to change.

All I can recommend is to look at the information you have about her behaviour and try and solve the puzzle a little so that you can prevent and channel her energy. I suspect she is trying to engage you in the ways she thinks will work, and even when you are reacting in what seems like a negative fashion to you - she is just seeing engagement.

Good luck!!

19. Katrina Johnston

Thank you! It's just so upsetting. We went for a play in the park today and right from the outset Rufus practically attacked me. In the middle of the park, I couldn't take the advice of the vets/trainer as a walk away/time out wasn't possible. Don't know if I did the right thing, but I held him on the lead trying to calm him, but remaining firm using 'no'. This seemed to encourage him to lunge, bark, growl, bite more, taking his of my arm and not letting go. I then tried to distract him with commands...sit, down, look at me etc which he followed and then tried to walk back to the car. He attacked me again another twice. Once we got home, he's been fine (my partner is off work this afternoon, and things seem better when he's here) and he's slept for ages...I wonder if he was too tired when I took him out. We had visited a relative and the pet shop before the park? Maybe I'm expecting too much? This problem seems to be getting worse instead of better. I've asked the trainer to come again for 1:1 session and we start puppy classes next week. Are there any lab parents out there who have experienced anything similar? Thanks so much, so glad this forum exists!

20. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

You could well be right! I think I expected too much of my pup when she was younger. I underestimated the amount of naps she needed. They seem to have endless energy but also need the rest. If we have a busy time one day, I try to follow it by a calm quiet day.