Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Johnny Walker, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Could Duggan be going through withdrawal after his course of meds from surgery? He’s unruly. It’s like he’s on speed cocaine rum and coke mixed with tequila. I’m at my witts end. I’ve ordered another round of the Trazodone (anti anxiety). He’s truly mental. Nothing will calm him down. His needs have
    Been met and when I try to use the normal calming techniques he looks at me and lips the air and cries. When i put him in his cage he struggles to calm down but when he does i treat him and then let him out for good behaviour then he goes on a rampage. This has been going on for 6 hours. Back in ( without a fight ) then he licks everything, cries, then submits. I treat him and mark the second he calms down and stops panting then let him out and he goes on another rampage. Panting, running around like crazy. Etc. I just paid over 3000 pounds ( $4500 CAD ) for surgery and I’m not screwing it up. Back to my original question. Could he be going through withdrawal or what. He’s a very active dog and we’ve can Usually deal through exercise and training but his mom is gone away and I’m busy but he is ordered 56 days of rest so us being gone is okay; he just rests until I walk in the door. I’m at wits end. I don’t like that he’s licking the air. He’s not in pain. He’s frustrated. We are all frustrated. I tried the games that he was supposed to be able to do calmly but they excite him too. He’s always showing himself and whale eyes lately. He just sits there panting,ears back and showing his full self. I’m thinking neutering but I don’t want him to deal with more trauma for a while. TPLO is enough to deal with for a now.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

What makes you think he's not in pain? He sounds very upset I think would speak to the vet to see if he may need more pain meds.its all very strange for him and you don't sound like your normal self either (I hope you don't mind me saying that). You both seem tired and stressed. I hope you can get to the bottom of it . I know its very difficult with dogs in this situation, hopefully someone who's dog has been through this will have some ideas for you. Moo has been in tramadol recently and whilst on it she did exhibit some behaviours which were repetitive and drove me crazy, but shes off it now and things are better so I really don't know if its withdrawal . Best wishes

3. SwampDonkey

I don,t think I wouldn't neuter at the moment either things need to settle down before you can assess properly if you need to do it. you could try on of the chemical castration drugs but again I would leave things for a while because you could just make things worse

4. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

I think I'd take him back to the vet. He obviously isn't happy or comfortable.
    I hope this all sorts out for you soon.

5. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

I'm sorry to hear that Duggan and you are having a hard time! I also think it's possible this behaviour could be due to pain - so I would check with the vet asap. What calming techniques do you use?

I think there's a whole thread on the forum about ideas for entertaining a dog on crate rest - maybe this can help you find some ideas to keep him busy. I would use all of his food for enrichment, and none out of a bowl at all!

Do you want to neuter because of this behaviour change or for other reasons?

6. SwampDonkey

If you mean he keeps getting his lipstick out ? My unneutered boy gets his out when he's happy or stressed but so did my neutered boy. It doesn't seem to he just a sexual thing more an indication of state of mind.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He sounds very distressed. Could be either pain or drug related or both. It'd be back to the vet pronto for me.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor boy. I too would go to the vet first to rule out pain or side affects from any medication he has had.
    Hope you manage to get to the bottom if it.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Indeed, I'd put all thoughts of neutering out of my mind, this doesn't sound like sexual behaviour at all. Back to the vet, absolutely.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh poor Duggan - and poor you. Chat to the vet, and take him in as soon as possible. Sounds like a mixture of stress and pain...

SwampDonkey likes this.
  11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor boy, that sounds awful. Hope you managed to get Duggan to the vet. x

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My 16 week old pup broke his elbow and was on crate rest (could only go out to loo ON LEAD in garden) for 4 weeks, he had to be sedated and like yours, went mental when the meds wore off. He wasn't allowed a Kong or bone as it might damage his elbow, however, you could try a kong on bone and see if that helps. Also take him to the vet to see if he is in pain.