Working dog???

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Char88, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Char88

Char88 Registered Users

Hi,

I’ve got a 2 year old Labrador who we’ve had since she was a pup. She has ALOT of energy. She gets walked 1.5 hour a day & with a busy family that’s all we can manage. She runs around like crazy in the garden & when left on her own will destroy anything she can get too (tea towels, dishclothes etc.. ) She is not my first Labrador but is very very different to my last one. As a family we’re struggling to cope with her energy/demands. She was bred from working dogs so could this explain why she has a ridiculous amount of energy? Unfortunately our only option could be to rehome her as in a few months when I’m back to work (currently on maternity leave) our lives will become even busier & we will have even less time for home. She might be happier with a family who have more time to give her what she needs. Please do not judge.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Working lines can have more energy, but also, they are usually trainable. It sounds as though she may be overstimulated. Would it be an option for you to reduce her walk to half an hour and spend the other hour doing some training with her? Any training which works her brain more than her legs will be tiring and calming for her. What area are you in?

CeeCee and Edp like this.
  3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi, I have a female from strong working lines, and she was a bundle of energy at that age too. I agree with @5labs what exhausted Meg more than anything was training. We went to obedience classes and that was much more tiring than a long run. We continued the exercises at home which again made her calmer and better able to settle. Meg was easier to train as was very food driven, which is a joy of labs. Also, have you taught her to settle ? Sometimes, I think they just don't know how to switch off !

5labs and CeeCee like this.
  4. daniolmu

daniolmu Registered Users

It sounds as though she may be overstimulated. Would it be an option for you to reduce her walk to half an hour and spend the other hour doing some training with her?