worknig and having a dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by loverlab, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: worknig and having a dog

I saw a TV programme where many dogs when left alone all day were acutely anxious and paced and paced. Some dogs can take being left alone and some cannot. The reference to a dog being left alone 9 hours overnight really wasn't applicable as it is normal sleeping time.

2. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=7140.msg98227#msg98227 date=1406709591]
    The reference to a dog being left alone 9 hours overnight really wasn't applicable as it is normal sleeping time.
    [/quote]

Normal for who ;)

The only thing normal for a dog is a routine.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We've discussed the role of company while sleeping before, haven't we?

There are so many variables that add to whether particular arrangements are ok for a particular dog it seem to me. It's a bit hard to generalise, I think. Charlie does ok in confinement and a lack of company (I found this out during his recovery and while he was in kennels) but his behaviour and state of mind are much, much better if he has activities and company during the day. So I do my best to arrange those when I'm at work.

Certainly dogs outside in kennels might end up with less human company time than those in a working family who allow dogs on the bed overnight for example. Might have the company of other dog, which I think might could make a difference.

I don't think Charlie is the same being left overnight as alone. He knows we are in the house and close by. I don't have him in the bedroom though. I might if he were on his own longer during the day.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

If there are people around during the day, then Poppy sleeps in her doggie bed. But if she is alone during the day, then I feel mean about her being separate at night as well, and she sleeps on my bed. :)

5. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

Hi. It sounds like you are trying really hard to ensure that you are doing the best for your dog. I don't think being left for 6 hrs on 2 days a week is too much of a problem, but if you could get someone to come in to break up the hours I think that would be a better solution.
    I think all dogs like some human company during the day, even if they are sleeping they still like to know that someone is around. My lab takes herself to sleep under the dining table after she has her walk but pops in and out to see me for a cuddle throughout the day. My spaniel follows me everywhere and if she was left 9-5 every day she would not be the same dog I have today! My dogs are left for a couple of hours everyday whilst I do school runs, shopping, volunteer work etc, so are not with me 24/7 which I don't think is a good thing either!

However, I really don't like the idea of dogs being left for more than 4 hrs during the day, every day, without some human interaction. If someone comes in I would want them to stay for about a hour and actually interact with the dog, not just open the door so they can toilet but play/cuddle/chat with them. I think this is really important for their mental health. I don't think dogs should be left for long periods of time to amuse themselves.

Chloe

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

[quote author=Tillydyes link=topic=7140.msg98232#msg98232 date=1406711492]
    [quote author=Stacia link=topic=7140.msg98227#msg98227 date=1406709591]
    The reference to a dog being left alone 9 hours overnight really wasn't applicable as it is normal sleeping time.
    [/quote]

Normal for who ;)

The only thing normal for a dog is a routine.
    [/quote]

Well, mostdogs sleep during the night, but obviously I cannot say 100%. So I don't think you can compare being left nine hours overnight with being left 9 hours during the day!

Sorry, wanted to only put "most" in bold, not the whole post!

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think dogs need to learn to be left on their own for a few hours at least. Sooner or later all dogs are going to have to spend the day at the vet, or be alone when we go out for dinner, or have to cope with some event that takes us away from the house unexpectedly. If they can't handle our absence for half a day then I don't think we've done them any favours...

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Mine are left everyday for an hour or two, but I wouldn't leave them all day.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=7140.msg98332#msg98332 date=1406752236]
    I think dogs need to learn to be left on their own for a few hours at least. Sooner or later all dogs are going to have to spend the day at the vet, or be alone when we go out for dinner, or have to cope with some event that takes us away from the house unexpectedly. If they can't handle our absence for half a day then I don't think we've done them any favours...
    [/quote]

Too right. When I'm with Charlie most days in the summer, he finds my absence harder once he gets used to constant company. I have to make sure I leave him for a bit, otherwise it's tough on him when things get back to "normal". I was sure glad I had an adaptable dog that could cope with many overnights at vets and long periods in a crate alone in kennels when he was injured.

10. Berna

Berna Registered Users

Guys, check UStream. http://www.ustream.tv/ It's free. All you need is internet and a webcam :D

To the OP - I think most of us have full-time jobs and unless you work from home or have a family member working from home, most dogs stay alone for 8+ hours. Adult dogs are usually fine with this routine, however puppies do need more frequent walks. If a neighbour can help with walking him around noon, that would be great. Or you can try doggy daycare?

11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=7140.msg98336#msg98336 date=1406752925]
    Mine are left everyday for an hour or two, but I wouldn't leave them all day.
    [/quote]

Same here.

When we both worked full time and had two dogs we had dog sitters who came to look after them from lunch time onwards (my MIL and Mum and Dad took it in turns) when they couldn't come the pooches went to doggy day care.

:)

12. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Our last two were left all day (8-4) while we worked, originally they stayed in a big concrete breeze block building with an outdoor run, but as they got older they stayed in the dining room, complete with leather sofa to sleep on and had access to the kitchen with tiled floor to keep cool if they needed to. they were very happy with this as they slept most of the day anyway, and they had our full attention when we were home.

We lost them both recently, and now have two new puppies aged 11 weeks. I work in a school so get home around 4pm and am at home all day during all the school holidays and my son works in a college and gets an extra month's holiday to me. They will be left while we are at work, but as we all work within a 10 minute drive we will take it in turns to come home at lunchtime to let them out, feed them and play with them, we will also walk them every morning and evening. I have my reservations about them going back in the outdoor building and run, so they will be having the run of the kitchen with tiled floor and porch which is like a small conservatory with a carpet floor. They will have plenty of beds and toys and we too are thinking of getting one of the webcams as I would be happier being able to check on them. I feel like a new Mum again, already worry and fuss over them like new babies ;D

13. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

Clearly I am in the minority then who doesn't leave their dog for "8+hrs" on their own 5 days a week!

I believe having a dog is a privilege not a right. They should not have to fit around our working lifestyle, they didn't ask to be part of our lives. Labradors are a social breed and like to be with people. They shouldn't have to "stay alone for 8+hrs" and be "fine" with this routine, just because that is what we did before they came along. I used to work full time and much as I would have loved a dog I didn't believe it was fair on the dog. I waited many years until I was in a situation where my dog would not be left all day on its own.

There are so many doggy care options available for full time workers that I don't see any reason why dogs should be left all day on their own.

Chloe

14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

RRR, I am with you totally. Can you imagine what it must be like to be left in solitary confinement for 8 hours a day. I really think it quite selfish to have a dog under those conditions. However, I was guilty myself years ago as I went to university (for one term only as I didn't like it) and my dog was left for about 6 hours a day, though my husband was home for lunch for an hour. My neighbour said my dog howled when alone. I think when we are young we are thoughtless, in the nicest possible way.

15. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

[quote author=rubyrubyruby link=topic=7140.msg98449#msg98449 date=1406809923]
    There are so many doggy care options available for full time workers that I don't see any reason why dogs should be left all day on their own.
    [/quote]

1. Fastest way to untrain a working dog.
    2. Bonds with someone other than me.
    3. It's out of my financial budget.
    4. I personally think it's totally unnecessary.
    5. I don't trust anyone else with my dog.

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think it's difficult to say all dogs are fine with being left, or all dogs are unhappy at being left.

I bet there are loads of factors that means "it depends". The personality of the dog; whether they have company overnight; the quality time and activities with people when they are there; whether the company of other dogs is available. And so on.

Certainly, I wouldn't leave Charlie for 8 hours plus but not because I don't think he wouldn't "cope" - I'm quite sure he would. The poor dog went through much worse than that during the six weeks following his surgery and coped fine. There were subtle changes in him though, he was quieter but not in a good way, he became slightly withdrawn from people, and was hyper alert to changes in his environment.

But there again, I saw dogs in the same routine as Charlie barking constantly, pacing, drooling, clearly distressed. Whereas Charlie never made a sound, and just went to sleep....

A great deal is going to depend on the dog is my guess.

17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I doubt Charlie would have been completely alone at the vets' after surgery and also the recuperation place, there would have been comings and goings and noise, not the empty silence of home. I agree some dogs could cope and dogs who have a long and fulfilling walk in the morning before work and plenty of interaction in the evening can settle during the day. However, if people are working, their time must be taken up with cooking, washing, housework, children etc etc when they come home. I just found the programme of dogs alone on TV very upsetting as did their owners who had no idea that their dogs were so unhappy.

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie had someone in the cottage he was in overnight, yes. During the day there were many small interactions with him for a few minutes at a time but it still added up to close to 22 to 23 hours a day left to his own devices in a crate. The staff didn't work in the cottage where the in patients were, but yes, people came and went.

I have to say, I was proud of him and the way he coped. I was super glad to have him home - and so was he glad to be home!

19. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

I don't think it's fair to call people selfish, or to judge. We are all on here cos we love our labs, and circumstances often change beyond peoples control, particularly in the current economic climate( in the UK anyway)

Some of my neighbours are at home during the day and their dogs are shut outside most of the time, crying and whining so it doesn't necessarily follow that just being at home is the best answer, it's the best all round care that counts IMO and spending quality time with our dogs, looking after them and playing with them

When we left our dogs before, i popped home at various times during different days, and every single time they were fast asleep, and my neighbours said they never barked or cried, so I was happy that they were ok.

It definitely depends on the dog, whats right for one is not necessarily right for another.

If only we were all fortunate enough to not have to work eh? :D

20. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I wish I was home more with Penny, with all my heart I do. But I knew from the start we would have to leave her.

I can't afford dog daycare, and as wonderful as the local one to me is, I wouldn't trust them with her because she does have behavioural issues.

As far as I can tell when she's home alone she sleeps and plays with her toys. Pretty much what she does when we are home. The time we spend together when we are at home is of good quality. I pride myself on having a dog who is able to cope with being alone for a period of time, no matter how long or short that may be.
    I've seen dozens of dogs who can't cope with even 30minutes alone because they haven't been acclimatised to it. I beleive that even if you are at home all day you should still get your dog used to being left alone because you never know when you might need to do it.