worknig and having a dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by loverlab, Jul 29, 2014.

1. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Re: worknig and having a dog

Interesting topic this. I really think it depends on the dog, and also the amount of quality time you have to give to your dog out of work. I'm lucky enough to be able to work super flexibly, so now my two (working line) dogs only have one 8 hour day home alone, other days I just work half days, when they are home alone for 4.5 hours. I also don't have kids, and am single, and do a lot of outdoor active stuff when not working (very into triathlon, and of late hill walking too) which the dogs get involved with. So my dogs have a generally very active life, and a lot of attention from me, as most dogs seem to do on this forum, which is awash very devoted owners. However Cuillin, my very clever, hyper, highly strung, and very active-minded girl struggles on that 8 hour day. We have a 1.5 hour walk before work, which involves lots of ball work (including stop whistles, honouring each others retrieves etc, so thinky as well), hill scrambling, and some dummy work. While I'm getting ready for work the dog are scurrying about the house looking for biscuits hidden in kongs, they go into crates with a kong. I come home at lunch time for a full hour, and play a lot of thinky games with them, hide the house dummy, find the toy, etc etc, and then its out running with me for an hour or so when I get home from work, with some ball work thrown in. Despite this, she is bouncing off the walls for the rest of the evening. My more laid back lad Brodick is exhausted by 8pm (as am I!), and seems quite happy to snooze away the evening on the sofa. So as others have said, difficult to generalise I think. My two didn't like Day Care much, Brodick tolerated it, Cuillin actively disliked it and is much happier at home....

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

This is a tricky one isn't it!

I thought your post was excellent Julie. It really does depend on the dog.

I do find this a difficult topic though. It is one that has great potential to cause offence and I think we need to be aware of that. We are all selfish at times in different ways, and none of us is a perfect dog owner. Least of all me :)

As someone that occasionally sells puppies I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't normally sell a puppy to a pet home where everyone was out for a full working day, unless i was convinced that the family were committed to paying for day care or dog walking of some kind. Partly because I want my dogs to have more company than that. And partly because I think 8 or 9 hours is a very long time to go without access to a toilet area.

On the other hand, I would not personally use a dog walker largely for some of the reasons Tillydyes has given, as I would not want anyone else handling my dogs. I don't even let my husband exercise my dogs until they are trained as he lets them get away with all sorts :)

I have sold puppies to working homes where they will be kennelled with another dog. But a kennelled dog is protected from many of the issues that arise when dogs are left home alone indoors (soiling, destructive behaviour etc) and which can result in dogs being given up by their families, and working homes tend to provide a very stimulating environment for the dog which creates a balance.

But then I am very lucky and work from home, so I can be with my dogs all day. I would not want to cast judgement on those who are making a go of caring for a dog whilst working full-time, and leaving their dog home alone, if the dog seems happy and contented.

I do think it is worth making use of modern video technology and filming your home alone dog to make sure they are ok - and if your dog is left indoors with no toilet facility, I would urge you to do whatever you possibly can to arrange for someone to let them out to toilet during the day, even if just for ten minutes.

3. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=rubyrubyruby link=topic=7140.msg98449#msg98449 date=1406809923]... I believe having a dog is a privilege not a right.[/quote]

We're all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. It's when you try to impose them on others that the trouble begins ;)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Personally I feel quite offended by some of the comments on this thread, especially about being selfish and the fact that a lot of people do not have any option but to work.
    I know some dogs locally that have someone home with them all day, but get neglected and ignored for most of it. They are put in the garden and ignored a lot.
    I think some people have felt the need to justify their positions on here, and I don't think this is fair.
    Everyone is different as are our dogs. We adpt to them and they adapt to us.

5. pippa@labforumHQ

I this is very true. Sometimes, in families where Mum is at home all day because kids are tiny, dogs can get very neglected indeed. Whilst I did not neglect my dogs, I know I wasn't the best dog owner in the world when my four children were very small, I just had to put the kids first.

Then of course, in some families, there is no real reason for the dog to be neglected, but he is because the family just got bored of him :(

No two people are going to have the same view on exactly what is best for a dog. There is no perfect home and no perfect dog owner. But one thing I think all the members of this forum have in common is that they adore their dogs and want nothing but the best for them. They have joined the forum to give and get support from other caring dog owners and are doing their best to give their labs a good life.

I think it is important to recognise this and not to be too judgemental.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=editor link=topic=7140.msg98483#msg98483 date=1406819444]
    But one thing I think all the members of this forum have in common is that they adore their dogs and want nothing but the best for them. They have joined the forum to give and get support from other caring dog owners and are doing their best to give their labs a good life.
    [/quote]

Exactly.

I'm a working lab mum - and sometimes work horribly long hours. I have no kids, and I have a cleaner. I'm lucky and have flexibility in my work, as does my OH. I also have endless options for doggie care available where I live, and Charlie has a doting extended family who argue over who gets to spend time with him.

It's really not a question of working or not. It's about your ability to deliver a good quality of life to your dog - and that can take many different forms.

I do think though, checking your dog is ok with whatever arrangements you have in place is key. It's too easy to assume your dog is ok when s/he is not. I learned that lesson when Charlie was in kennels - I had to be prompted to see the changes in his behaviour and then massively turned over my arrangements to get him home early.

7. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

I'll swap you a day in my life for a day in yours anytime and it will change your view on people that work and own dogs and selfishness.

My day revolves round my dogs and somehow I manage to fit in 8hrs work ;)

They are quite content in their outdoor kennels during the day or my neighbours would soon let me know. :)

Now I'm away out to do a bit of training.....one at a time and I might get my dinner about 9pm AFTER the dogs get theirs ;) is that selfish?

If I won the lottery I'd not work and have 10 dogs.

They will be lying on the sofa after training too, the pup lying on my chest (on command) if I fancy a cuddle :)

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I don't think being concerned about a dog's welfare is being judgemental or offensive. Each to his own. We are all different. I did not intend offense or judgment, if you feel these things that is your own view, we can only be put down by ourselves. But enough, there is so much fighting in the world, we should set a good example and agree to differ without rancour.

9. pippa@labforumHQ

definitely :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=7140.msg98526#msg98526 date=1406835196]
    we should set a good example and agree to differ without rancour.
    [/quote]

Hear, hear.

11. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

Couldn't agree more with Stacia

Chloe

12. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Because of my mental health problems, I dont work, and am therefore with Otis nearly all the time. The only thing I would say, is that I think dogs do need trips to the garden for toilet breaks, eight hours without a wee or poo, must put a bit of a strain on a dogs system. I use a great website called borrowmydoggy, which pairs me up with people who want to walk your dog for free for love not money. You can choose the people form profiles and meet them, its really great, and as Im a bit lazy gives me a break from dog walking. Last weekend, Otis stayed with a lovely couple who walk him for the weekend, he was fine, and happy, and they love having him. I really reccomend it Hope this helps, Maggie x

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Tillydyes link=topic=7140.msg98509#msg98509 date=1406826844]
    If I won the lottery I'd not work and have 10 dogs.[/quote]

Amen to that!! And a pony.

14. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=7140.msg98578#msg98578 date=1406842314]
    [quote author=Tillydyes link=topic=7140.msg98509#msg98509 date=1406826844]
    If I won the lottery I'd not work and have 10 dogs.[/quote]

Amen to that!! And a pony.
    [/quote]

Two ponies!!

15. Tillydyes

You offended me by being judgemental. Normally I would not have a problem with it but your passing your totally unscientific and unproven self beliefs on a forum (which is viewed by thousands) and some otherwise perfectly good potiential owners of dogs might be put off owning a dog because of it.

Dogs are not just for the elderly and unemployed.

People really need to stop thinking dogs think like humans.

It's pathetic.....

16. Tillydyes

I've just realised this is in the puppy section.......I totally don't agree with leaving a puppy alone for a working day I wss always talking about an adult dog.

17. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yeah, I think we were all thinking 'adult dogs'. I was, anyway :)

I do hope that full-time workers are not put off dog ownership. Almost everyone I know who has a dog works full time - both partners if there are two people. All the dogs involved get lots of of time and activity (walks, dog club, dog park, play dates with other dogs, dog inside the house with the people, dog taken out and about with family...).

Having a dog takes time, energy and commitment - and I think everyone here fully understands that. But achieving that and having a full-time job are not mutually exclusive. Having a full-time job doesn't make it impossible to have a happy, well behaved dog.

18. Tillydyes

Amen :)

19. npcarpenter

npcarpenter Registered Users

This is a tricky topic... I've always worked full-time and have always had dogs, but never a single dog. My dogs have always been left on their own for 6-9 hours while I was at work, and all have seemed to be fine. Good social skills, apparently happy, physically healthy - being alone with each other hasn't seemed to be a problem. Having the company of the other dog probably helped, but I also know several single dogs who were left home for the same lengths of time and seemed fine. I also made it a priority to spend lots of time with them after work and during the weekends, taking them to big spaces where they could run and swim and be dogs. I was living in a city at the time and had good neighbors, so would have been told if they made disturbances during the day.

I do believe one shouldn't leave a puppy alone or crated for a full working day, but there are ways to work around that (noted in many earlier posts). When I've adopted rescue dogs, I've always made sure it was at the start of summer break, so I could be home to help them acclimate to the routine before school resumed in the fall. I deliberately scheduled my puppy adoption for the beginning of the summer, thinking that the puppy would be old enough to leave alone by the time I had to return to teaching. Again, having two other doggy companions and access to lots of safe play space has really made a difference in my comfort level at leaving them alone. As it has been working out, I've been gone for about 6 hours each day for a five week stretch while I teach summer school. The puppy, who is just shy of 4 months, seems to be adjusting really well.

I agree with all the comments about the ways one can ameliorate the "aloneness" for a single dog, and also agree with the conclusion that dogs can be very happy and content with a comfortable routine, even if they're alone a lot. It really does depend on the dog and how it is socialized, and the care taken to accustom it to the routine it will live with as an adult.

20. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

[quote author=npcarpenter link=topic=7140.msg98686#msg98686 date=1406899626]
    When I've adopted rescue dogs, I've always made sure it was at the start of summer break, so I could be home to help them acclimate to the routine before school resumed in the fall. I deliberately scheduled my puppy adoption for the beginning of the summer, thinking that the puppy would be old enough to leave alone by the time I had to return to teaching.
    [/quote]

Interesting that you mention having rescue dogs and puppies when working full time and I see you are in the States. In the UK many rescues and breeders will not sell/rehome if the person works full time and the dog will be left for long periods of time. Do they not have similar requirements in the US ?