worried

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by SwampDonkey, Jul 16, 2017.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rory is a good dog a dog who avoids conflict who walks away from trouble. Never growls at other dogs off lead but does feel insecure on his lead after a very nasty incident with a boxer and its degenerate owners last year. I have taken him to a trainer and done 1 2 1 training. He was good getting more confidant and much happier.
    He whilst out on a walk attacked a boxer when it and it's walker cornered him. They trapped up against a fence the boxer was on a lead Rory panicked as he couldn't see me and the man loomed over him. No one was hurt just me I got bitten by the boxer on the knee. The man knows Rory very well and he was so shocked like me I had to sit on the grass until my heart slowed down. he came over without the dog and made a fuss of Rory who was totally calm. Once he had got away he was showing no aggresion towards the dog. He went from panic to calm. I think it was definately panic due to feeling trapped. What can I do about this? It's so upsetting that a dog I have raised so carefully has been damaged by the behaviour of scumbags. So upset and down.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:(
    Do you think he has an issue with boxers now or is it more generalised?
    I did wonder if he reacted partly due to you being bitten/ your reaction?
    So sorry you are so down about it x

3. SwampDonkey

I think due to the previous situation he has a issue with flat faced loud breathing dogs in particular boxers and feeling trapped by them. I was bitten grabbing Rory. None of us could understand what I had happened but I've been back to the place and looked at it from Rory point of view and I know he was scared because he was trapped.the man knows all my dogs and was so upset and concerned. He's know Rory and me for years. It was just so unexpected and shoking. The boxer us a bit of a problem apparently loads of dogs just want to attack him. I did notice just before Rory launched it stand tall and stand.over him but it was so quick

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@SwampDonkey Are you OK having been bitten? I am so sorry you and poor Rory were put in this awful situation. At least you know the man and he was understanding. Our local dog warden told me that any breed with a flat face gives off different signals to other dogs which is why most dogs don't like them. Charlie doesn't like a big boxer in our village, well they don't like each other, yet Hattie loves the boxer so it might depend on the signals from both dogs and the situation which for Rory was intimidating and awful. xxx

SwampDonkey likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

Rorys been attacked by them twice and once by a Boston he now hates the breathing sound they make

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh No! Are you OK? What a shock...:(

I must admit to being a bit leary of boxers...I know I shouldn't be judgemental but I am never quite sure of them.

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh dear I am sorry, I hope you are ok...

8. AngelConradie

AngelConradie Registered Users

Oh thats dreadful :( I don't have any advice but I hope you will both be okay.

9. SwampDonkey

I just upset that the actions of these degerate men are still affecting us. I'm so careful raising my dogs and find these outside influences frustrating and upsetting.

10. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

It's understandable I think, that you would feel that way. I wish I could think of something to make you laugh, as I know you would me. By the way, Miss Cassie is still being very Sassy :)

11. SwampDonkey

As long as she's stopped being brassy. I lovely friend has just given me chapter and verse she's also told me off for not sleeping. We'll get over it
    on our walk today we saw partridges baby pheasants a baby kestral being fed by its mum and a buzzards. I also got so close to a hare that I could nearly touch it's back and Rory stood by my side and did not chase any of them. This made me happy

Rosie, BevE and selina27 like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

Well I'm not so worried I've been watching Rory in his interactions with other dogs and how he deals with different situations. He does not like boxers or dogs like Boston's he's been attacked by both. The flat faced dog breathing noise worries him. Ive practiced keeping him close in situations which he finds stressful. I found being jolly and getting him to do trick or just bits of his training routine helps. Today we were walking on a park and 2 male boxers who were loose were being threatening their owners were chatting so they were basically doing what they liked. I called Rory and we went the other way. I seen them so I'd quickly grabbed Rorys attention with some sits stays and good boys, while Moving him away from the moody boxers. He relaxed but was still worried so I danced about and ran of giggling and calling him he came and I did some close healing and gave him treats so we could get away. It worked well. I think I'm going to have to be careful but feel a bit better. I know now he reacted because he was scared and trapped not because he is aggressive.

BevE, Sven, drjs@5 and 3 others like this.
  13. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

SwampDonkey likes this.
  14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good news :heart:

SwampDonkey likes this.
  15. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I didn't see the original post. I'm so sorry this happened to you and Rory. :( But very glad to hear you and he both are feeling/doing better.

Brogan as a young dog had an on leash dog aggression problem. OFF leash, however, he was an absolutely love sponge and loved playing with all dogs.

Except Boxers. He hated Boxers.

Sure, we'd encountered some raucous Boxers occasionally in the dog park, but no big traumatic experience. The only dog that Brogan was ever out and out attacked by as a puppy (knocked one of his baby teeth out and injured his elbow) was a Golden Retriever. Yes, a GR.

So that's interesting to me that others also have had problems with Boxers. Personally, I adore that breed - but I guess they are not winning popularity contests amongst their own kind!

SwampDonkey likes this.
  16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Boxers have a very upright forward stance, very front facing eyes (ie like they're staring) and a wrinkled muzzle that looks like they're always growling. To another dog they probably look like they're permanently ready to launch.

If I was cornered and scared I'd fight back too. That wouldn't make me 'an aggressive person'.

Glad that Rory has been his normal self in the absence of rude, overbearing dogs :)

Jes72 likes this.
  17. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Hope Rory and you get back to normal, however you may both always feel a little nervous and cautious when it comes to boxers. You know Rory is a good dog and that any dog could react in the same way if cornered.

For similar reasons I'm cautious of white shorthaired dogs especially Dalmatians and Bull Terriers.

18. SwampDonkey

I do suspect Rory is short sighted too.

19. Spencerboy

Spencerboy Registered Users

I'm sorry that happened to you both too. I understand the frustration when outside influences change our sweet dogs behavior. My other chocolate lab, Fiona, always loved everyone and every dog she met until some degenerate people starting coming to the local dog park with their untrained "bully" dogs. fights started to break out too often and it was getting rough. Fiona would run around on the perimeter of the fighting and stay away. But one day some idiot owner grabbed her and wrenched her head around for no reason while his dog was attacking another. Still don't know why he did this but we never went back and after that Fiona didn't like dogs she wasn't familiar with anymore. Sad that she lost her trust in other dogs and we were never able to get back to the way she was before. She still loved people though.

20. SwampDonkey

The whole event affected us all very badly. Its something that has been a struggle to get over. As you know there are some nasty people about.