Worst walk ever ;(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Naya, Feb 22, 2014.

1. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: Worst walk ever ;(

Naya, you are dealing with this so positively and I'm only sorry it happened in the first place.

I tend to put my dogs on leads if I see families with young children who don't have a dog themselves - if they have a dog with them, I'm a little more relaxed as I figure that the children will be more used to behaving around dogs. I can't guarantee how their children will behave, and it's them I don't trust, rather than my dogs... that means that on sunny days in busy places, they can spend a lot more time on leads. However I think that frightened parents - much like dogs - become aggressive very quickly! I'd rather keep them on a lead and not have my walk spoilt completely. It's not necessarily right that you have to change your behaviours and take responsiblity for their shortfall in teaching their children to behave around dogs, but it's not the children's fault, and as Pippa says, they behave in a way that only excites the dog more and I would never want to see one hurt.

I would have been crying too faced with the situation that you were yesterday, and I'm glad you had other dog walkers there to look after you. Glad you are going back today with your husband for support - enjoy your walk! xx
    Clare

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just being a matchmaker ....Ternaya and Lauren,you should have gone together....a united front against the rabble from yesterday ;) ;D x

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Lol, yeah, would be good....

I went back today after getting hubby to go to pets at home and buy an extendable lead. It was much quieter today but still some children around. We kept Harley on lead until we were away from families without dogs then let her off. She was right as rain and me, well, I was worrying for ages just incase, but no issues at all :) we had a fab walk and Harley was off lead for 3/4 of it and on the extendable for the rest :) feeling much more positive today :)

We also went 'car shopping' today as my interior is getting muddy all the time and I love my cars. Looks like we will get a Mercedes c class estate or Mitsubishi outlander ;) will be good for Harley :)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My friends just bought an Outlander. They have dogs. They're very happy with it. Plenty of room without being enormous.

Great to hear that your latest walk went really well :) Good on you for not letting the party poopers dent your lovely walks.

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=4606.msg56655#msg56655 date=1393179914]
    Just being a matchmaker ....Ternaya and Lauren,you should have gone together....a united front against the rabble from yesterday ;) ;D x
    [/quote]

Hah that would be awesome... But I'm no good in a confrontation! Lol I cry when I get angry which generally gives people the wrong impression!! I tend to just suck it up when it happens and then go home and have a massive rant to my partner... Or on here! lol

6. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Oh I just remembered... I was in Pets at Home at Eastgate retail park this afternoon and saw red fox lab in there... Wasn't you guys was it? Lol we had just been to Ikea... Love that place. And that Pets at Home is so much better than my local one!

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Nope, wasn't us.......didn't know there was one there!! Think I might pop down there with Harley next Saturday, thanks for the suggestion :)

If you do decide to come to snuff mills at some stage let me know, we could meet up :)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ternaya, sorry you had that horrible experience; hope your confidence is back up today! :)

9. Alice

Alice Registered Users

So pleased you had a better experience. We were at a National Trust property last weekend and as there is a rule of no free running dogs we had Bess on her extending lead. We were in the woodland area when suddenly a toddler was running towards us and when his mum saw Bess she started shouting and screaming. I sat Bess down and when the parents caught the little one up they picked him up and fussed him. The woman was shaking and did explain that they weren't used to dogs and apologised.
    Alice