Would appreciate thoughts please

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Apr 4, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Its coming up to a year since we lost little Millie , we still miss her but I am convinced that Sam does too . Sam isn't used to being an only dog , he adores the company of others so much . Since his diagnosis of lymphoma last August , I had put all thoughts of adding to out family to one side , thinking that maybe it wasn't such a good idea if there were to be times when Sam feels unwell , that he needs all our attention , but maybe I`m wrong ? We often have visitors who bring their dogs , he adores this , yesterday being no exception when family arrived to stay nearby , bringing their puppy . The difference in Sam was almost unbelievable , he went from being quite down , to behaving like a spring chicken , tearing around the garden in pure excitement , then sharing his toys and his bed with the little interloper ! So , question is , as I`m sure you will have gathered , would rescuing another little dog be a selfish thing to do if I`m thinking that it would help Sam ? ( and us too ) Or, thinking ahead a little more , would it be wrong to introduce a dog who, like Millie , might form a bond with Sam and then have his/her heart broken when things progress ? I would have to take extreme care , Sam is a gentle giant , so the temperament of any second dog would have to be priority . I know its only us who can make this decision , but would welcome thoughts of those " outside of the box " Thank you xx

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My 2p:

1. Your absolute priority is Sam's quality of life.
    2. Sam's quality of life is improved by having a pal.

:happy:

Naya, Saba's Boss, Bruer and 6 others like this.
  3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It really sounds as if Sam is happy to share his life, and you, with another dog. If it makes Sam happy, go for it. Most rescues that I know of are very happy to have dogs meeting numerous times to try and ensure that they will settle well together. Try not to worry about what may happen in the future, none of us can predict how a dog will react to the loss of a doggy friend.

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Yup....I agree a pal for Sam :) Maybe a Frenchie? :)

kateincornwall likes this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

All I know is that Fred adores Annie and she loves him too. Go for it if it makes him happy.
    Live for today, let tomorrow take care of itself.

7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I'd definitely consider if. It would make Sam happy then why not?

It might make it easier for you too, I imagine Sam provided some comfort for the loss of Millie. And hopefully, Sam will have plenty of happy years left :)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Kate, I think your heart knows the answer to this one. You love Sam so much and want to make him happy. He loves other dogs and would adore a little friend. It would also be wonderful for you and Paul. Yes, at some point any new addition to your family would have to deal with the sadness of losing Sam - but that will happen to all of us when/if we get a second dog. Personally, I would say definitely go for it. I can't really see a downside. x

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Ditto ^^

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think you should go for it.
    Sam needs a buddy.
    You and Paul need a buddy - particularly Paul, he needs a lap dog.
    If you don't do it now, you will feel that "after Sam" it would be even more a betrayal than it is now (to Millie), and you need a dog in your life. You absolutely do, both of you. Hoping Sam will be with you for a while yet but, you are in limbo.
    Don't beat yourself up about it, go with your heart. Don't over think.

edzbird, kateincornwall and Karen like this.
  11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would go for it, make sure you choose the right dog for Sam :) If the new dog forms a bond with Sam, yes he/she will be sad if Sam departs, but will make a bond with another dog you choose for him/her. If Sam has days of feeling a little grotty, to have his mind taken off it with the pleasure of another dog's company will help and also help him over the sadness of parting with Millie.

12. kateincornwall

Thank you, for all your input , the search is on :) . The big lad was visibly deflated after puppy Frank left , it sort of made my mind up there and then xx

Naya, Granca, Bruer and 10 others like this.
  13. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Yay! Can't wait for updates on your search :D

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yay! Are you going to use the rescue Millie came from?

15. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Reading your post going for another dog sounds just great for Sam and your family. Good luck with the search and I can't wait to see the photos. Xx

16. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

May I suggest a rather adorable Bodeguero named Toby? He loves to be cuddled and lives to play with other dogs. Perma-energizer-bunny-batteries included. :D

selina27, Boogie, Bruer and 5 others like this.
  17. kateincornwall

They are on the look out for us Fiona x

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fantastic plan :)

19. Cath

Cath Registered Users

That's my girl :D

20. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I say go for it, it will do you both good. An option I like is not another dog but a cat. A kitten would probably entertain Sam. There's even a good chance they become very good friends. At the least it's another animal presence for company in the house. If you need to devote more time to Sam due to health it's easier to leave a cat, they don't need to go on walks. They can bond so closely that you may still have a depressed and lonely cat though, when that time comes.