Yee Ha! At last

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by selina27, Oct 21, 2017.

1. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Cassie and I attended a new training class today, and I'm very glad we did. It's an hours drive away, but very well worth it, a very small group only 4 other dogs plus the trainers 2. Outside in a small area.

I was so pleased with Cassie, she behaved really well given what she can be like. We did lots of meet and greet, recall away from the other dogs as well as heelwork and handtouch, I'm so pleased I've done LAt because that really helped. The trainer was lovely.

There was one incidence of crocopup emerging and a tantrum began, but the trainer showed me a good way to manage it. This was about half way through, it was during recall from all the other dogs,and she was alright afterwards.

There was a very large and very excitable Doberman, so Cass more than met her match!

I really feel we have turned a corner today !

2. pipsqueak

pipsqueak Guest

Its always good hear positive experiences of training and that warm glow inside when pup moves forward,

What was the technique used to manage the behaviour?

selina27 likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Oh that is so lovely to read.

Would you share?

A Doberman is joining our Scentwork group - will be interesting to see how Red is :eek::rolleyes:.

selina27 likes this.
  4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Sounds like a great class. I love the opportunity to recall from dogs - we rarely do it - I wish we did it more. We have a lovely Doberman bitch in our group - it's her owner who is the problem :rolleyes:

selina27 likes this.
  5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great to hear that everything went so well and that you enjoyed the class :)

selina27 likes this.
  6. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

That's great, well done Cassie and you.

I've no doubt persistence helps with all the training and of course, patience and consistent reactions. That's where I have a problem - sometimes allowing my mood to affect my actions/reactions with Molly, so not being consistent.

Long may your good results continue :)

selina27 likes this.
  7. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Wish I could bring Ripple, but probably a long way from Fife ;) :D.

Waiting with baited breath for the tantrum management - Ripple still has his moments, especially at agility.

selina27 likes this.
  8. selina27

@pipsqueak , @Atemas , @SteffiS -- what the trainer did was use the collar, just slipping her hands inside so not exerting pressure on the neck, somehow manhandled Cassie into a sit between the legs so that both the body and the head were contained without force, so she couldn't really do anything. Once calm she was rewarded.
    I have yet to do it myself! I will report here when I do.:)

9. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

So glad you had a good session @selina27, looking forward to more updates:)

selina27 likes this.
  10. selina27

@edzbird and @SteffiS , pity it's not closer to you ! I mustn't grumble about the distance, I'm so happy to have found the class, it's just what we need right now.
    There is a lovely woodland walk on a NT property about halfway back, so I plan to do that in future on the way home, that will be our Saturdays sorted :)

@FayRose , yes the consistency and patience is paying off I must admit, but I think too Cass is growing up, my son has noticed a difference this weekend after being away for 3 weeks.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's so lovely to read Selina, very well done to you both x :)

selina27 likes this.
  12. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Well done to both of you!

selina27 likes this.
  13. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Glad the training session is/was worth it, even taking into the hours drive.

selina27 likes this.