Yellow/white lab has red/pinkish skin on belly

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Thomas, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Thomas

Thomas Registered Users

Hello everyone,
    I’m new to the site and don’t have much experience with labs. My wife and I have always had German shepherds and we recently rescued a lab and since we got him he has had nothing but trouble with his skin. We took him to our local vet they gave us special shampoo to bathe him with and pills to give him. We also were given stuff to clean his ears out with because he sometimes gets an odor from them or his body. We gave him pills and bathed him once a week for about a month and then we got told to give him more pills. While taking the pills his skin seems to clear up but as soon as he gets off the medication his skins goes back to being red. Any help or insight would be great!

Thank you!

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Thomas, Welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having skin problems with your Lab.

Ear problems are common in Labs (and many other floppy eared dog breeds too). We've got some information on the main site on Ear Problems in Labradors here.

I don't have any personal experience of skin problems in Labs, but again we do have a guide that might be of interest here: Dog Skin Yeast Infections

Hopefully your vet will be able to help you to find a good solution going forward. Do let us know how you get along!

3. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

It could be what you're feeding him. Surprised your vet didn't bring that up.

4. Thomas

Thomas Registered Users

The vet did say that it could be the food but when we changed foods it didn’t change the problem either