Yes they really do calm down!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Cherry, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Cherry

Cherry Registered Users

Just wanted to share my big news, Molly is now 18 months old old and at the weekend I finally took down the puppy proofing! My shoe's are no longer in a cage and the book case isn't covered by play pen segments! Shoes and books still intact....! I don't worry that she's learnt how to get through the stair gate as all she does is zonk on my bed. Playroom is the only place out of bounds as just a bit much temptation in there!
    At the beginning the only thing that stopped me sending her back was pride, I was so stressed but it gradually got easier and I fell in love. But the love took until she was about 7 months so don't worry if you don't feel it. And stick with it, these labs are the best thing ever.

Naya, Moka, Samantha Jones and 13 others like this.
  2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Big news indeed! Big girl Molly!

Cassie is a bit younger, rising 17 months, and I've noticed in the last fortnight that shoes are staying on the rack, that tea towels etc are staying on the proper rail in the kitchen. Hoorah!
    I'm really hoping she loses interest in the wood in the log basket this winter :)

Yes, definitely worth sticking with.

3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Very good message and congratulations on "de-caging" your shoes. That's indeed a puppy milestone! :)

Cherry likes this.
  4. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I couldn't agree more! It's great that Molly is settling down. Holly's five next month and I can't imagine life without her.

Cherry, Harley Quinn and selina27 like this.
  5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She must have known that I typed something nice about her. She's just trotted over to lie across my feet!

6. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Harley is a bit younger, at 11 months, but I have greatfully come to terms with the fact that we have a very calm labrador. I am enjoying her so much. She is so bright, but unlike the cats, she doesn't use it to wage a secret, black ops war against us or defy our every request. Well done Molly, Cassie and Holly, beautiful things.

Cherry, selina27 and Hollysdad like this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It's lovely to hear how everything's worked out so well - I'm really happy for you x

Cherry likes this.
  8. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Hmmph. Anyone want to tell Axel that he can hurry up and mature? He is coming up on 21 months and he still will grab tea towels and shoes, socks, my bra, he is still full of energy, more so now than ever it seems, thanks to Gizmo. Oh he hasn't gone for a couch pillow in awhile, progress... o_O

Maybe when he's two he will be calm ;)

Granca, Naya, Cherry and 1 other person like this.
  9. selina27

Oh but he is so beautiful, he can't help being spirited :)

I guess they are all different in this as other things. To be fair to Cass she's never been a destructive chewer anyway, its just I've noticed things are staying put more.

And for all her exuberance it's always been obvious she has a strong couch potato side :)

Kelsey&Axel and Cherry like this.
  10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

What a lovely post to read and yes, they get right under the skin , these wonderful dogs x

Cherry likes this.
  11. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

I agree, lovely to read about Molly and Cassie and the others 'growing up'. Talk about pride comes before a fall though !

I thought our Molly was such a good little pup, calm, gentle and never a shoe or tea towel thief. She's never attempted to get into the fenced off vegetable garden which was a total magnet to our previous lab BJ, who jumped the 4 ft fence at about 4 months old .... however.

At almost 17 months, Molly has become a hooligan. Hyper active, demanding constant attention, ignoring all instructions and training requests that she previously obeyed happily. Where's my good girl gone? The only constant is her love for everyone and delight at being cuddled.
    Hope this doesn't last too long :(

12. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I love that Stanley's a bit of a terror. I find his cheekiness adorable and it just adds to his playfulness.

I think I'd be sad if he ever stopped doing it :(

That being said - Stanley does like to sleep for about 20 hours a day. So I don't think he's that daft - just 4 hours a day of silliness then the rest is calm snuggling/snoozing :D

Plum's mum and selina27 like this.
  13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That's lovely news about Molly! Maybe she can send some calming vibes to Merlin... Six months is a bit trying, I am finding!

Naya and Cherry like this.
  14. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Gotta admit to be slightly jealous - my 18 month old is still a nut job - that said I do secretly love that about him, until I am trying to find a pair of socks and have to find one of a pair hidden in and around the house (he only ever takes one of a pair, odd boy!) :rofl:

Naya and Cherry like this.
  15. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Same! I always find them in his bed :D

Samantha Jones and Cherry like this.
  16. selina27

Don't be ! I'm sure Cassie has done plenty of things that he hasn't.

And @JenBainbrige, I admit to feeling a little sad when she doesn't attempt to chase the broom when I sleep.

17. selina27

Is she still enduring phantom pregnancy?

18. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

No, I don't think so, she certainly seems to be of a more normal shape now. She never did show any other signs apart from the enlarged mammary area.
    Weekend visit from 2 of her sisters may be part of her behaviour change I'm now thinking - they did boss her quite a bit.

selina27 likes this.
  19. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Oh if only they were in his bed....so far I have found them in his downstairs bed (under the cushion), in the garden under his outside bed, in the flower bushes and dropped casually on the path, under his upstairs bed, under my bed (once under my pillow), in the shoe box, by the front door, by the back door, under the back door mat, several by the bin in the kitchen....and I am still missing some, I have yet to discover all Bailey's hiding places obviously! :D

Cherry and Lozzz31 like this.
  20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So nice to read :)
    They are hard work, but so worth it.
    Tonight Harley decided to pinch a pair of hubby's socks (clean) and have hoolies around the garden for nearly 5 mins (no longer clean) :D And she's 4 years old!

Cherry, Lozzz31 and Granca like this.