You big tease

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by SwampDonkey, Apr 30, 2017.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I had a lovely field walk with Rory today and watched a red kite tease play with and confound some crows. The crows have a nest and they don't like any predators near it. This young kite would not stop he would land near them dive bomb them and just spin in the air around them. Such an acrobat. They tried but could not catch it. In the end they just huffed and ignored the kite who tried a few more dives and mock attack runs. The kite then just waited on high riding the strong wind then bored rolled in The air and let the wind take it an amazing speed towards the city. It was so nice. I go there to listen to the sky larks sing but its getting better for other wild life too.

drjs@5, selina27, Karen and 6 others like this.
  2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sounds wonderful , red kites are so majestic to watch aren't they ? I often sit , with the dogs , on some rocks at the top of the forest , and listen x

3. SwampDonkey

This is the first one here they are moving into more urban areas. The Ares where I saw iy was near a housing estate and just 3 miles from central Leicester so excited we all hope it will stay and start to nest

Karen likes this.
  4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I haven't heard a skylark for years :( There are some apparently a few miles away, but the area is going to be built over with 800 homes :(

5. SwampDonkey

I'm addicted there is a group of fields and 5 or 6 rise to sing together it's is amazing. It's like being drunk on sound. I go just to listen to the boys give it their all. So sad they are building houses it's happening everywhere sadly

selina27 and Karen like this.
  6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

The Red Kite is a rare visitor to the Isle of Man. One was photographed last year up in the north of the island. Around the same time I heard an weird bird in the plantation I walk in in the south...when I thought about it, it sounded for all the world like a Red Kite. I don't know of another bird that makes that sound. Can't beat a still morning, filled with bird song.

7. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Red kites are quite common in mid Wales. On one occasion OH and I stopped to watch them being fed. There must have been over 100 kites doing aerobatics to catch morsels of meat. Amazing.

Cath and drjs@5 like this.
  8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

That's so good to read, how exciting for you. Red kites are such a thrilling sight, they have moved out of Wales into Herefordshire some years ago, now a common everyday sight. But I could never take them for granted.

The sound of larks singing -- sublime.

9. SwampDonkey

It's the sound of my childhood. I forgot how much I missed it. When I heard them after so many years the sound bought it all back. Me my favourite horse and the medival thicket trail

Yes sublime

selina27 likes this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I know it's not quite the same thing, but we had two kingfishers playing in our garden yesterday. They were absolutely stunning. The populations are dwindling, so it was lovely to see them, and so far from the river, too. :)

11. SwampDonkey

They ate getting rarer round here now. Are they the same type as the UK ?

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'm not sure, I'll have to look it up. Although, having done a quick search, I'm wondering if what we saw were actually bee-eaters. J took a photo, albeit at a huge distance, so I'll grab the camera and post it later :)

SwampDonkey likes this.
  13. SwampDonkey

I did think that when you said wuth you being so far from water they are really amazing so jealous . :)