You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Feb 3, 2016.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh I so agree :) Speaking with some experience ( Millie ) then yes, it does take longer, much patience and repetition required , to say nothing of endless bits of sausage, but I do believe that many dogs can be turned around eventually

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Very interesting that although older dogs learnt more slowly they were better at applying that learning. :)

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just like humans!!! :)

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This old dog (me) is really struggling to learn (German).

I would love to teach Tatze (3 in April) to learn to use Twiglet's spending area - but I've no idea how to go about it - she simply holds her wee all day 'till she can go in her usual place!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You know Tatze will go eventually @Boogie - just got to wait her out. Charlie had to go in the garden when he was injured. If there is no other choice, that's that. Whether I could be so hard without needing to I dunno though!

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - it's just a burnt lawn after all. But you are right, she would go when bursting - I just don't know how long that could be!!

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I can tell you from experience that a determined labrador can hold her pee for up to 26 hours. I think she can wait you out...

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I disagree, Hattie is 8 1/2 years old and surprises me with the things she learns and so quickly too, maybe it's a mixture of her Labrador and Poodle brain! x

10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Maybe the key is that Hattie knows how to learn as she's been taught new things her whole life. I find with humans, that have decided to study later in life for example, almost need to learn how to learn again before they get started. Maybe it's similar with dogs...