Young male dog - becoming more boisterous

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by BongoMum, Oct 15, 2020.

1. BongoMum

BongoMum Registered Users

Hi All, any and all suggestions would be gratefully received!
    We picked the most playful pup in the litter so we knew we would be getting a fun loving boy - and he's that & more besides! Went to 2 lots of puppy classes & puppy playgroups, socially he's always been great but a bit over boisterous, but not aggressive.
    Recently next door got a new kitten which sometimes jumped the fence, our boy would delightedly chase - as dogs do! However the new delight in chasing cats is driving us crazy! On walks he'll lunge if he sees one, even when wearing a Canny Collar & is constantly hunting for a victim to chase so walks on a lead can be exhausting - although he's gets 2 X walks a day (Living in Australia - on-leash is compulsory!)
    If there's no cats we're chasing birds, possums...anything & everything, whilst barking crazily & totally ignoring recall which we thought we'd mastered! He's asking to go outside just to stand under a tree & bark constantly - particularly late evening or early morning when we'd much prefer to be asleep. This morning was 5am barking to go out just to bark crazily & chase the birds in the garden (I thought he needed an early wee). Not sure if he's being territorial or just playful but the barking at everything is driving us mad. He sleeps inside & is generally quiet overnight.
    Any suggestions to help get this under control before the neighbours complain please...

2. Yamilex

Yamilex Registered Users

Im not honestly sure on the chasing everything. Depends on what you have tried, I’ve kept my dog on a leash and have him sit where there’s big distraction like animals and if he tries to bark or lunge, walk him in the opposite direction. Have you also tried to tech the speak command. It’s where you teach them to purposely bark and when they bark that’s the “ speak” and you also teach them the stop. Or whatever you want to call them. Have it a go and see if it works for your dog

3. MontesMum

MontesMum Registered Users

Hi, had to reply as our boy is the same! Always wanting to go outside to bark at passing things, but we let him out because sometimes he does need to go to the toilet...but mostly he barks. It is because the barking and chasing is sooo rewarding for our dogs, and because we need to let them out, they get to practice the behaviour often so it grows and grows. I think the only way to prevent it, is to take them outside on lead, if they go to bark or chase, take them immediately quietly back inside. Thing is, I have a tiny baby too and this takes so much work that I can’t be consistent. Is it something you could do? Anything to just stop him practicing the behaviour you don’t want.

4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

I suggest you attend an obedience class in which the instructor teaches you how to teach calmness.

If you are feeling confident to dive in deep, then get hold of a copy of Jane Ardern's Mission Control. The subtitle is How to Train High Drive Dogs. Seems to be tailored for your dogs. It is very well written. And has lots of exercises designed to teach and reinforce calmness.

MontesMum likes this.