Young puppy just eaten a small rabbit!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Olivia__, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

Just been on a walk with 4 month old Nelly she has swollowed what I think was a small rabbit! I can't believe it went down her throat. Should I be worried. It was absolutely disgusting. Will it digest normally? Any similar experiences????? I'm trying not to be worried.

2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

If it was alive, I'd probably not be tooooo worried. Just disgusted.

If it was dead I'd maybe be concerned about how long it had been dead, how it died etc

3. Olivia__

Yeah it was dead. She's acting normal. I've read up on it. I should just watch out for worms in her poo in the upcoming days and make sure she is up to date with worming. I've just been in floods of tears because it shook me up so much- it was just sooooo gross. Eye balls and all!!!!

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

:eek: They really can be gross at times , I recall Sam eating a large very long dead fish , the evidence appeared the following day x

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I not saying a thing about Moo. ;)Just keep an eye on her it was a small rabbit so it should be ok. Hang on in there and if you are worried ring your vet. Yes they can be vile. They've discovered food groups we can't even imagine.

6. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi Meg has eaten many fresh or not so fresh bunnies over the summer months since she has been about the same age. Our kind cats leave them for her. She's has never been poorly and I figure it's only like feeding raw...and even better as she gets a meal for free :)

Rosegoldenlab and Olivia__ like this.
  7. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I know it's horrid when our dogs that we love so much do stuff like that, but it comes naturally to them :) In my quest for info on raw feeding I have a book called "Work wonders" by a vet based in Australia and he advocates really raw feeding, which I'm trying to pluck up courage to do. Whole rabbits and all.
    If it was me I wouldn't be worried at all and as @Edp treat it as a free meal.

Edp and Olivia__ like this.
  8. Olivia__

You wouldn't believe this! I've taken her out again now that I've plucked up the courage to go out again!!! And she found a mole and has swallowed that too!!!! This is the worst and most unlucky day ever!!! Should I be worried about the mole????

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

They don't normally eat moles! Try not to worry, my dog has swallowed whole the most manky rabbits and ones with Myxi and have been fine. If you feel concerned about the mole, just give the vet a ring and I am sure he/she will reassure you.

Olivia__ likes this.
  10. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi Meg ea
    Meg has eaten just about everything small and furry over the years...we live in the middle of nowhere...just fields and morrland around us...the picking are endless over the water months. All my dogs have been fine...I do keep on top of worming them. They always leave moles though...it's rare to find them on land unless you have a killer cat around. It could have been anything small and rodenty...I wouldn't worry. Meg will drop on cue if asked...but mainly I leave her. Maybe you could start teaching that if you want ?

11. MF

MF Registered Users

Yesterday Snowie feasted on a whole seagull. It was dead and washed up with the seaweed. He did rip off the feathers on the wings - which I was happy about cos feathers can tickle and cause vomiting. My only concern with dead animals is if they were poisoned. But otherwise I treat it as a free meal and am sure there's no antibiotics in them, making them better from that aspect than supermarket meat. And eating it whole it's a good prey-model raw meal. The only thing with rabbits I believe is tapeworm - so make sure your deworming is on schedule.

Olivia__ likes this.
  12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yeah, that's is the same as me.
    Be aware, she might just vomit it back up and have a second go at it.
    Love our doggies :D

Lin and Olivia__ like this.
  13. Olivia__

Oh my!!!!! These dogs cause all sorts of problems don't they! How do we still love them the way we do!!!!
    n

14. Olivia__

I've found out from our neighbour that the moles are not poisoned in our area- they are only allowed to be trapped so that has definitely reassured me.

SwampDonkey, Edp and drjs@5 like this.
  15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You poor thing. I'd say she'll be 100% fine though. Don't worry.

They eat things that make your stomach do back flips with triple pikes, these dogs :rolleyes: Horrendous...and impressive in a wierd way...

Olivia__ likes this.
  16. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Wow, that's impressive! Poor you, but I'm sure she will be fine!

Olivia__ likes this.
  17. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

My pooch Simba is giving yours the high five paw of respect :clap:

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Simba is an illicit food scoffer extraordinaire, so this is high praise.

snowbunny and Olivia__ like this.
  19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

She won't come to any harm at all from eating the rabbit and mole, but you should have her wormed fairly soon as rabbits almost always carry tapeworm. I've given Poppy a freshly-shot complete dead rabbit before now (yes, with head, fur, eyeballs and all), but we gutted the rabbit first because of the tapeworm issue.

20. MF

MF Registered Users

Unfortunately Snowie had a seizure last night. First one in a year. I don't know if it has anything to do with the seagull - was it poisoned? Just a coincidence? He was acting "off" for a few days - wanting to lie with us on the sofa (v unusual for him, not a cuddly dog usually), and he did retch a bit a few days before. Difficult to know what was the trigger - I've also been very stressed at work. I hadn't been to that beach where he ate the seagull in probably over a year. He'd eaten seagulls there before, washed up in the seaweed so maybe they are sick/poisoned there and have triggered his seizures before? Wish I had the answers. He does scavenge a lot on our daily walks, but always discarded food and chicken bones, and (thankfully not of late) human poo.