Young puppy just eaten a small rabbit!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Olivia__, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh no, I'm so sorry!!! :( My guess is it wasn't the seagull, as you say he was out of sorts for a few days... Hopefully it's a one-off, not followed by any more. Did you give him diazepam?

2. MF

MF Registered Users

Thanks Karen. I'm guessing it was coming - he's been very itchy, too, and needy. No, didn't give diazepam. Why would you? I'll ask my vet about it. He's on KBr, extremely low dose, will take him this week for blood levels to be tested.

The seizure was better than usual, not as severe (we think - my husband and I discussed those he's had before and this one). And he wasn't "drunk" afterwards, just needy.

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have diazepam to administer when a seizure occurs; it reduces the length and severity of the seizures supposedly and helps prevent a second or third one. Poor Snowie - but at least it wasn't as bad as last time.

FatherOfCeasar and MF like this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hope Snowy and you are all feeling a bit better today

MF likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry to hear this @MF I agree it sounds coincidental to the seagull incident.
    Hope he is back to his normal self

MF likes this.
  6. MF

MF Registered Users

He's never had more than one seizure at a time (hope this will remain so!) and they've all been much of a muchness. This one he seemed to have easier, my husband said he wasn't "baring his teeth" like usual - it was dark, 3am so I didn't really notice myself. But he also didn't throw his head back like usual or gasp for air sounding like a donkey. And he recovered better, wasn't antisocial like he has been before, stuck to me like glue. And he also didn't need to urgently make a poo. But he was ravenous and also drank up the whole pot of steaming water (my husband had steamed sweet potato before bed and left it on the stove to cool over night - we use sweet potato to administer Snowie's meds). Well, Snowie would not leave the stove, wanted to eat, so at 3.30am I was busy packing sweet potato containers into the freezer so that he wouldn't remain obsessed. And he got some bits of sweet potato and lapped up all the steaming water. Thereafter happily came to bed.

Apologies to the original post for this hijacking!

kateincornwall and Karen like this.
  7. MF

MF Registered Users

We are, thank you! He is totally relaxed now after a semi-shampoo - his anal glands must've been doing their job during the seizure and he was incredibly stinky. So got a good spot-bath on his bum and around his itchy areas on his chest and stomach, and now fresh and clean and fast asleep.

8. MF

MF Registered Users

Thank you.

9. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

Oh no! I hope he's ok. Not sure what to suggest.

10. MF

MF Registered Users

Thanks, he's fine now. Am guessing it was not the seagull. But obviously does make me worried about consuming poisoned dead animals. The other day he saw a dead rat in the gutter. Simply sniffed it, not at all interested in consuming it. I'd never let him eat a dead rat, they are poisoned for sure, so it was interesting that he didn't make any attempt to eat it.

Olivia__ likes this.
  11. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

We had this rabbit share today...Olicat had left half a rabbit which Libby finished! :confused:

Edp likes this.
  12. SwampDonkey

You have all the fun:eek:

13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco will sniff a dead rat, but doesn't pick them up. I don't think they're poisoned here in the countryside, just road kill - perhaps they don't smell "nice".

14. SwampDonkey

Moo often has that do I eat it or roll in it dilemma. From rotting rat to fox it's always a tough choice. On one memorable day she rolled on a rat and all its inards and maggots shot out either end it was so rancid. She was so pleased with her stinky little self

DebzC and edzbird like this.
  15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:puke:

16. SwampDonkey

That's my girl:D

17. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

@SwampDonkey you must have had a strong stomach that day:puke:

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh yuk...I can't remember Charlie ever eating disgusting stuff. He probably has and I've wiped it from my memory.

He usually either rolls in it and/or picks it up and does a few victory laps then gives it to me.

I'm not sure this is an advantage - the time the smell of whatever he had rolled in on the beach had me stop the car on the way home because I needed to be sick...and then there was that time he handed me a dead rat....*shudder*.

Got to love them.

19. SwampDonkey

I have no sense of smell. I am perfectly adapted to Labradors. Never been sick or felt sick yet and I've had them for over 20 years. its definately the smell thats the problem for most people. I have seen some very bad things though

20. MF

MF Registered Users

Yesterday we bumped into Luna, the sweetest white Swiss Shepherd x Golden. With what looked like thick mud all the way up the side of her neck and face. Human poo!!

At least Snowie only eats it. Her owner had to now go get her hands dirty washing it off. :puke:

edzbird likes this.