Your dog is the naughty one!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Nov 27, 2017.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Just a bit of a vent...over the holiday weekend we had 4 dogs together. One 3 month old chocolate, my 7 month old yellow, a 1 year old red, and a 2 year old Rhodesian ridge-back/pit mix. Of course, as soon as we arrive to Thanksgiving with Aspen, I get told that my dog is the naughty one who riles everyone up.

Apparently everyone was an angel until my Aspen showed up. The exact words were "everyone was good until Aspen got here." Ahh yes, my dog is the one who makes everyone naughty! My poor little man. Yes, I will admit that he is no angel, and he doesn't like to listen ALL the time, but he is still a relatively good boy! Granted, he is not as calm as some other dogs were at this age but every dog is different! I am so tired of hearing that my dog is naughty (from the two same people) when in fact he is just being a puppy. Yes, sometimes I get frustrated with him but I can tell he is maturing as the weeks go by.

Plus, after Aspen and I went home, the three other dogs pulled the turkey remains off the counter and ate it! So Aspen cant be the culprit of all the naughty puppy behavior...

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

From now on any time anyone says that Aspen is the naughty one just reply, with a smug smile, “remember the turkey”.

It is definitely frustrating and annoying when people label your dog for their own reasons. As Aspen grows up and chills out more, and as you train more and more calm behaviours, he’ll probably end up being the best behaved out of all of them.

3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Ooh good, bet you were pleased to hear that :D.

It is annoying when our dogs get labelled. I always get a bit irritated with a friend who whenever she comes here, she greets Red with a ‘don’t be naughty now’. This is because as a very young pup Red jumped up at her a lot :rolleyes:. It does bug me though as I have said many times to just ignore her, turn her back etc which she didn’t. Now I say pointedly ‘Good girl Red, sitting nicely’; ‘good girl Red - you are a very good girl’ when she does as I request. Trouble is people compare her to Sky who is 10 years older but of course was the only dog here for years.

alschwahn likes this.
  4. alschwahn

Well it upsets me too because I was talking about how I will feed Aspen raw chicken thighs as a treat and she (my boyfriend's sister) says "Wow..I hope you took out the bones. That is SO BAD for dogs." But from my understanding of raw feeding, they can eat uncooked bones..it is cooked bones that you have to worry about, right? But then, she turns around and feeds her lab bad dog food because good food is "too expensive" and gives him those cooked thigh bones from cows or whatever animals that can be bought anywhere and really actually are not the greatest for your dogs. I know that sometimes it is hard to make ends meet with a dog and you might not be able to provide them with top of the line food and treats, but don't speak down on me because I like to give my dog healthy foods and treats. I really think she is just snooty about it because I am young and am not supposed to know what I am doing...except I think I am doing fairly well!

Thanks @Atemas and @Oberon. I really do hope Aspen grows up to be a nice young man. He is a good boy, but boy does he test my patience sometimes! My mom says he is good practice for having kids someday, haha!

PawPrints, SwampDonkey and edzbird like this.
  5. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Your mum is right :D. Seriously though, rise above although those comments - sounds like you and Aspen are doing great. Remember our dogs are labs - bit challenging as puppies but grow into great dogs :).

alschwahn and SwampDonkey like this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I think so too:D

alschwahn and SwampDonkey like this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Lucky Aspen, getting a yummy raw chicken thigh - bone & all. He is a very young dog, who is growing and maturing with your help - you're doing great xx

selina27, alschwahn and SwampDonkey like this.
  8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Those comments about the bones are just stemming from ignorance. Raw, uncooked chicken bones are 100% fine. They can eat all parts of a raw chicken (I once gave my first Labrador an entire raw chicken for his birthday. His eyes just about popped out of his head with excitement! After he’d eaten it he looked like he’d swallowed a football).

And you are right that the big cow bones are risky (especially if cooked or smoked).

You’re doing all the right things. Bit of a bummer to have to tolerate bad advice and silly comments from the rellos but that’s human beings for ya! :)

FayRose and alschwahn like this.
  9. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

My dog is always the naughtiest in any room. Always the one causing the mischief and playing daft. I just say it's because he's got the most personality :D

Aspen sounds like a lovely lad. Ignore any nasty comments - you're doing a great job with him :)

Shaz82, selina27, alschwahn and 2 others like this.
  10. Cath

Cath Registered Users

You should just smiled sweetly and say yes he eats raw chicken, but not cooked turkey.

drjs@5, Naya, charlie and 6 others like this.
  11. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Brilliant reply! :p

I do hate it when people comment on your dog assuming they know them better than you or are being clever-clogs-smug!
    It really riles me and happens a lot, I think with pups more as non-dog people just don't understand or the dog owners forget the puppy antics of their own dog.

Maisy comes with me to work and spends her day with me behind the counter. She has play-time, a yard for exercise and training, meals and chews, lots of fuss from everyone, company all day, 2 or 3 good walks a day and lots of sleep under my desk. So when some stupid woman who is stroking her says 'Oh you don't want to be stuck here do you?' to Maisy I feel like bopping her on the nose!
    And if only one small thing happens when you are out with them, such as pulling (if only just once) and someone sees and says 'Oh she is not very obedient is she?', god help me I will one day blow a fuse. :mad:

I am so glad they got that turkey, ha ha!

Johnny Walker and alschwahn like this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Don't you just wish you could up with a corker like this at the time! :D

You had the last laugh so don't worry yourself xx :)

Shaz82 and alschwahn like this.
  13. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

:cwl:

alschwahn and Shaz82 like this.
  14. alschwahn

@Shaz82 I don't understand why people feel entitled to make comments like that! It's just crazy to me, I would never say that to someone else!

Shaz82 likes this.
  15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Some people will always think that they could do a better job at training your dog, like my MIL! But actually they can't!
    Love the fact that the other dogs pinched the turkey :cwl:

alschwahn likes this.
  16. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Me too!

The other day I was walking Homer off lead, he stopped to greet another fog, I called but he didn't respond immediately. The owner of the other dog said "training's going well then!"

"Well, actually he does have his Kennel Club Gold Certificate, does yours?!"

alschwahn, Naya, Shaz82 and 2 others like this.
  17. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Dog not fog!

18. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

I agree. I hear comments all the time and It really upsets me. “I need a shock collar, I need an electric fence, I need to have him neutered” and so on. Drives me nuts. I’ve owned a lot of dog (in our family) and this dog is by far the best behaved, best trained, most gentle and the only one that has never run away. They must have perfect animals.

alschwahn, Shaz82 and SwampDonkey like this.
  19. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Me neither, It is bad manners!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
    alschwahn likes this.