Your feedback please on forum photos: PLEASE VOTE

Discussion in 'Information and Announcements' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Your feedback please on forum photos: PLEASE VOTE

1. I am happy to use a third party like Flickr to host my photos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I would prefer to be able to upload my photos directly onto the forum from my computer or phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have no strong feelings either way

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (see below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

There are two ways of enabling the posting of photos on an online forum. One way is for members to be able to upload photos directly from their computer desktop, onto the forum itself. This means that the forum server ‘stores’ the photos and this takes up quite a bit of the forum server space. Using more space means paying more for hosting. So this is something I have avoided for the moment, by altering the forum settings so that direct uploads are not possible, except for avatars.

The other way to post photos on the forum is to place photos on a third party server. This means using a website like flickr or photobucket, which is what many of you are currently doing. I know that some of you find it difficult to share photos from your photo hosting website. This can be quite complicated, and different sites do it in different ways.

With this poll, I am trying to find out how important the ability to upload photos directly, is to forum members. If this is a facility that members would value, we might be able to offer it, but we’d need to fund the server space in some way. For example, by enabling adverts on the forum.

Personally, I would prefer to keep the entire forum free from adverts and free of charge, but as you are the ones using it, it seems sensible, to find out what you want too. Please will you take a moment to vote on the poll. If you choose 'other' please comment below. Please also feel free to comment with your thoughts in any case.

Thanks,
    Pippa

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Re: Your feedback please on forum photos: PLEASE VOTE

I am happy using photo bucket, though I couldn't figure out how to use Flickr.

Perhaps a step by step how to guide that goes through all the basics of how to do it using each site?

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm happy with Flickr and find it easy to use,Pippa's directions about how to post the photo directly into your post were life changing for me ;D and I didn't look back!im always happy to help out with Flickr. if someone's stuck ..sometimes I'll adjust a post anyway if someone isn't sure how to do it ....I know a few of us do that x
    Modified to say I never got off the ground with photobucket.....I think Jacqui is your girl for that ;D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm happy with flickr - once I figured it out, it doesn't take any longer really. I'm also really happy to have the photos I've posted in my flickr account as I can email links to other people who might like to see them. So I'm happy with things as they are.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I use dropbox with no problems.

And I love the fact that the forum is advert free ;D

6. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=editor link=topic=7128.msg97838#msg97838 date=1406560499]... For example, by enabling adverts on the forum. ...[/quote]

Hi Pippa,

If you think people have difficulty now with displaying photos just wait until you encounter all of the forum display issues associated with having adverts on display :eek: I've seen it done before and I can promise you the forum will rapidly lose its simplicity and clarity. Forum members, especially first-timers, will find it unattractive, unclear and unwieldy (and lots of other words beginning with un :) ).

Please, please. please don't be seduced to the dark side. ;)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well, being a bit challenged regarding posting photos from anywhere on my android which is my alternative device, I am tempted to say it would be great to post directly, but I am VERY STRONGLY AGAINST littering the forum with adverts.
    The forum, as it is, is clean and simple and uncluttered and for me that is one of the appeals visually.
    I personally would like to stick with a photo-host site and put up with the inconvenience of waiting for a laptop opportunity for a photo posting.

8. skooch

skooch Registered Users

one more vote for 3rd party site(I use flickr), I love the fact this site is pure discussion/help vs spam from adverts that you get on some forums.

9. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Oh I missed the bit about adverts!

I use this forum 100% on my iPhone. I think having adverts would make it very difficult for me to continue doing that, therefore meaning I wouldn't be around on the forum anymore.

10. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I am with you Uncle Bob, I don't want adverts on the forum. Important to see how others feel though. :)

11. David

David Registered Users

No adverts please. They are most annoying.

I voted to use 3rd party. I use SmugMug - assume that will still be ok?

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

No adverts please ;D

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

You may want to make the advert implications obvious in the voting panel.....

14. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No adverts here either. The site is great as it is, uncluttered by adverts you just don't want.

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I use flickr and find it good for also sharing with friends and family. No adverts please ;)

16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I don't understand any of it :-[

17. Steph

Steph Registered Users

I vote for 3rd party picture hosting = no adverts too. Uploading directly would be simpler but no adverts is much better in my opinion. So many sites ruined by them.

18. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

I like using photobucket cause it backs up my pics too

19. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Love the forum layout.. very simple, and appreciate that it is advert free. I guess one way would be to offer a small subscription, and those that wish to be able to upload photos can by subscribing to this service which would help fund server space?
    I do have a step by step guide to posting photos via photobucket you can use if it helps? :)

20. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It'd be great to be able to upload directly and that'd be the ideal, in my book. But if it means having to have adverts then I'd rather keep things the way they are, with people using external hosting sites.

Just as an aside, it's great if people can try to embed their pics in posts rather than just posting a link. :)