Your thoughts please :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by charlie, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Re: Your thoughts please :(

Trouble with an older dog is you often inherit other peoples mistakes. That is why at the age of 66 i chose to take on a new puppy. I never expected her to be so boisterous, and with hindsight think I should have gone for a different breed.

There have been times when I have thought longingly of rescue, but I couldn't bring my self to do it. It wasn't her fault that I had made the wrong decision (pause while I go and removed chewed up ball from her jaws). Molly is a sentient being and I had no right to abandon her. She is not a book to be taken back to the library and changed if I don't like the way the story is shaping up.

If he didn't train his original dog, with whom I expect he had formed an emotional attachment, in the 6 years he had it, the chances of him training a new puppy, which let's face it can be an 'in your face' 'pain in the butt' are minimal.

Now I'm off to rescue the poo bag that the little demon has just pinched out of the back pocket of my Jean's

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I think I have made some progress with Mike. I called in on him on Monday and he was still talking of another very young rescue dog, I don't think he will be put off so I offered to accompany him for moral support and help if he goes to a rescue centre, so hopefully I will be able to suggest an older dog and not a puppy. Fingers crossed. :) x

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh Helen , I do hope he listens to your advice, both you and I know that rescue dogs arent always a walk in the park, can be challenging to put it mildly ;) ;)
    I do think that many people have a preconceived idea that a previously abandonned dog will instantly love them for " saving them " , do their bidding without question out of gratitude etc . Oh that this were true ::) ::) ::) The reality is that many can be blinkin hard work , rewarding yes , but not for the faint hearted :)

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good for you Helen. He needs a dog that he can keep for the rest of its life, that will be a companion to him. The wrong dog will just end up being a disaster.

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I wonder if a couple of pre-paid obedience lessons, as a "welcome home puppy" gift might be helpful?

Good for you for keeping an eye on this, Helen, it does sound like a recipe for disaster, especially given the previous experience. Hope it all turns out well, keep us posted!

6. labs24

labs24 Registered Users

Firstly, well done Helen for caring and wanting to help your friend make the right decision.

I am afraid I have a fairly black and white opinion to this situation. My main concerns are that he may well fall ill or have to go into hospital in the future, will he repeat the past.

Did your friend speak to family members, friends, neighbours or his vet (who may know of a foster home) or even discuss this with yourself as you may have wished to foster in order to make provision for his dog. Last case scenario would have been to place his dog in kennels. I appreciate this may be easier said than done, but I am sure a resolution could have been found.

As you mentioned, the real reason for rehoming his dog was probably due to his inability to cope with, and train his dog. I think it is fair to say that the majority of potential dog owners are aware that dog training classes exist. Therefore, your friends unwillingness to seek help or having a 'I know best' attitude is perhaps the truth. This is simply irresponsible.

Thousand of dogs each year are given up, abandoned or have a lower than expected quality of life due to this attitude. I personally know of one example and it makes me sick!!!

The question of your friend getting a puppy who would require vital socialization, basic and lifelong training, well I don't agree.

I do not apologise for taking a tough stance, from the information given here it is a no brainer!!!!

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Labs24, Mike is not a friend he is a retired man in our village that I would sometimes meet on walks. It's really not my choice if he decides to get a puppy, I have tried to disuade him from the idea and suggested he get an older trained dog but he will have to make his own mind up. I simply tried to help so that he does not end up in the same situation again. If he asks for my help, opinion or that I go with him to a rescue centre I will and hopefully I can assist him with his decision and maybe talk him out of another puppy. I think Mike is lonely and I feel so sorry for him but I really don't want to see him with a puppy but at the end of the day I can't tell him not to.