Ziva is a lazy monkey ( Help) :)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by marie11, Jun 8, 2015.

1. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

:) :) thank you so much ,Earlier I tried going out back door to garden she sat like normal but instead of opening door I held handle till she looked at me then dais "good" and rewarded her once we got over door she lay down again as usual but I stood still eventually she turned and looked at me and I said "good" and rewarded her took us from getting to door to getting into garden and back into house 23 min lol lol

Now of for small walk down road but not entirely sure what to do lol lol but I get there .

Clicker I think I may go invest for this particular exercise any suggestions or are they all much same ??

Much Appreciated

2. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Oberon ...p.s I will stop talking :) ( not going to be easy ) lol lol :) :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good work on waiting for her attention then marking and rewarding it :) If you keep doing that you should see an increase in attention from her :)

All clickers do the same thing so any one will do :) Get a spare though in case you lose one.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Some clickers have a "volume control" which is good because they can be really loud indoors. Some people put a bit of blu-tac on them to mute them. I like to be able to change the volume, though, and the loud setting is good for if there's a noisy stream or similar nearby. I have this one which has three settings: http://amzn.to/1Qt9QHs

I also have this other one for my daily use. I like it because it's not too loud and, because it slips over your finger, your hand is a bit freer to do other things: http://bit.ly/1FOe8Pm

But, other than the basic designs, as Rachael says, a clicker is a clicker. They click. That's all you need :)

5. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Thanks about clicker snowbunny will go look later

Well that went rather well :) only took 30 min to walk 3/4 of way down road she started of door she sat but I didn't open till she looked at me when she did I said " good" and reward got to door step again lay down but looked at me again "good" and reward she got up and got to gate she sat and I repeated got outside and she lay down on grass next to house but this time all the cows were they to say hello so she lookat at them I didn't speak till 4 min had past then she turned looked at me and I said"good" and rewarded :) :) I know it not always going to be so easy but just kept reapeting eating all way down road.

when she lay down on grass I just waited said nothing till she looked at me and repeated & reward how often do I reward all time ?? and over few days till I see she has understood it ?

6. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Hi Friends

Clickers arrived this morning used them this aft just when she was close to me clicked and rewarded with her kibble and little pieces of chicken ,tonight did couple sits again just to make her realise when she hears click it means reward .

Question what food items should I be using high reward chicken. liver ,heart ,sausage or just kibble, or a variety.

Cheers

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I don't use a clicker but usually use a variety of treats so Juno doesn't know what to expect. With something new I use a higher value treat initially but then mix it up again.

8. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Thank you :) Have got kibble,cheese,chicken will pull some heart out of freezer .....Ziva you are one spoilt puppy :)

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

When I'm training something new, I use high-value treats. I have cheese cubes, slices turkey frankfurters, sliced reconstituted turkey block, then whatever comes to hand - during the winter, we get fillet steak offcuts, I make liver cake, fish cakes or dehydrated offal and their new favourite is dehydrated prawn heads! However, for general stuff, they get kibble or bits of mini bread sticks. I did a test the other day to see "bread stick or frankfurter?" and there was no preference at all. The prawn heads, though, are a definite favourite, so reserved for recalls :)

I do think I made a mistake early on by giving nothing but tasty treats for everything. I'm now trying to distinguish between different levels of behaviour by giving different treats. So, if they offer a behaviour, they get x. If I ask for a behaviour and they do it, but slowly, they get y. If I ask for a behaviour and they do it quickly, they get z. However, as I said before, I think I might be putting more of an emphasis on the scale of treats than they are. They seem to love kibble as much as cheese! This is where I am now starting to learn about the power of withholding the click. In that, once they have associated the click with "Good Things Will Come", the click in itself is a reinforcer. So, the click itself makes them feel good and so when you click AND treat, they effectively get two rewards. But, if you don't get the exact behaviour you're after - for example, they are slow at giving you a sit - you still "pay" them for it, by giving them the treat, but you don't click. In human terms, I can equate this to saying, you've done your job and it was just about sufficient enough for you to get your salary. But, doesn't it feel so much better when someone tells you, "Good job!" when you do something well, even if it has no bearing on what you take home at the end of the month?

Sorry, rambling now. :)

10. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

snowbunny ....It's fine to ramble :) :)

Ziva doing ok she responds well to clicker when doing a practise run she sits looks at me then I click and reward so she defiantly knows when you click you get reward .However some days are better than other when outside the front gates she has started to walk forward instead of lying down at gate but 1 good day 2 bad but I feel it's progress. She work's very well to cheese :) :) in fact I'd say now cheese is her favourite. Still not quite managed to sit when a car comes she seems to sit once the car has passed lol so not managed to get click or the treat but will keep going this week and If no luck maybe look at doing it a different way .There is always something on the go with training I fell out with her big time on Sunday evening cause she took a "bite" to far at back of my thigh then on my arm :mad::mad: .

Cheers :)

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hang in there as you are making progress, and make sure you have a good supply of cheese :D. With the not sitting when a car is coming, personally I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. As long as she is with you and not leaping around that for me would be enough at the moment. What I would probably introduce is several sits while you're out walking, not for any specific purpose, just because you ask for them and then hopefully she will respond to the request for a sit when a car is passing more quickly as it will be just something you ask for and treat. I'm not an expert on training but it always seems 1 step forward and 2 steps back so sometimes it's best to try and work on a command i.e. sit, that you can use in lots of situations with not always a lot of effort.

12. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

MaccieD

Great Idea I do get her to sit just randomly maybe just need to do bit more without boring her lol lol Yes cheese is a winner for Ziva